Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Education

Education Educational System Forum - For topics and discussions about the educational system


Thanks Tree69Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2016, 12:59 PM   #41
The Posters of Meh
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North Texas
Posts: 4,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
You are entitled to your opinion and so am I. This relatively new term "political correctness" is merely an effort of the Right to repackage and justify ther past discriminatory behavior in a 21st century context IMO.
I am not denying your opinion and i do respect it.

As for political correctness, i don't care about who created it, just that it is a existing problem now that i would like to see it addressed and fixed.

Perhaps in another thread, we can discuss the history of Political Correctness. But, like you, that is just my humble opinion. Others may want to hash it out right here in this thread. Let the chips fall where they may, i suppose.
Panther is online now  
Old February 4th, 2016, 12:59 PM   #42
Riot Grrrl
 
Lyzza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Stage Left
Posts: 4,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
i have teenage kids and this same crazy shit goes on at their school. I'm afforded the luxury of entertaining teachers from 6th grade all the way thru college. i also live in the liberal mecca of the midwest. my hand may be a bit more on the pulse then you realize. if we continue to allow language to be seen as a hurtful thing when it comes to higher education and feel the need to wrap the students up in bubble wrap every morning don't expect their education to be worth anything.
Interesting. Don't see it. There was one time in a freshman level Western Civ I class when a professor kinda tossed out a question about whether or not anyone was going to get upset about our discussion on the Atlantic slave trade, and if they would want to leave the room. The black kids in the class laughed at the idea, and a couple of white guys pretended to grab up their bags and leave!

We all laughed and he continued on with the lecture. Nobody cried. No safe places were designated. Nobody got all butthurt.

Maybe you guys need to toughen up?
Lyzza is offline  
Old February 4th, 2016, 01:00 PM   #43
Talent on loan from god
 
Camelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 23,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzza View Post
Shut down? What are you talking about. I simply said, while operating under the impression that I can still hold and voice my own opinion..., that I wasn't going to waste my time listening to some guy whine about what he thinks is happening. I have a totally different take on it, because I don't see the things that are being cried about here.

Funny that you refuse to believe my side of the story. You are trying to shut my viewpoint down, and trying to push some other guy's agenda.

Hmmm.

Strangle opposing views much?

Whatever.
The Right wants to silence any opinion that differs from theirs. They are crazy if they think they'll succeed. This is a public forum. We have the right to disagree. Don't let them bully you.
Thanks from Lyzza
Camelot is offline  
Old February 4th, 2016, 01:02 PM   #44
Riot Grrrl
 
Lyzza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Stage Left
Posts: 4,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
The Right wants to silence any opinion that differs from theirs. They are crazy if they think they'll succeed. This is a public forum. We have the right to disagree. Don't let them bully you.
Right! Look at the title of this damn thread!!! We're supposed to be discussing an issue, but they want to shut up any dissent from the guy in the OP! What?!

Who is it again that is ruining any chance at learning, knowledge, and debate? Hmmmmmmmmm. Must be some invisible college kids way over there. "They" are doing it. Not anybody here, no sir. Clearly not anyone here.........

You know what's coming...........

WHATEVER!!!!!!
Thanks from Camelot
Lyzza is offline  
Old February 4th, 2016, 01:04 PM   #45
Talent on loan from god
 
Camelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 23,850
Ben Carson suggested that monitors should be imbedded in universities and, if he disagrees with the discourse, he would withhold federal funding. Now that's something to get up in arms about.
Thanks from RNG and Lyzza
Camelot is offline  
Old February 4th, 2016, 01:08 PM   #46
TW
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 19,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzza View Post
Interesting. Don't see it. There was one time in a freshman level Western Civ I class when a professor kinda tossed out a question about whether or not anyone was going to get upset about our discussion on the Atlantic slave trade, and if they would want to leave the room. The black kids in the class laughed at the idea, and a couple of white guys pretended to grab up their bags and leave!

We all laughed and he continued on with the lecture. Nobody cried. No safe places were designated. Nobody got all butthurt.

Maybe you guys need to toughen up?
maybe you are just fortunate enough to not have had your campus infected yet, or maybe you just haven't noticed it yet.

use mr. google and check out the yale halloween scamper if you like, or breeze thru the vid.

it is real and it does infect the curriculum
Thanks from Panther
Sabcat is offline  
Old February 4th, 2016, 01:10 PM   #47
TW
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 19,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
The Right wants to silence any opinion that differs from theirs. They are crazy if they think they'll succeed. This is a public forum. We have the right to disagree. Don't let them bully you.
says the guy who has no idea what we are talking about.....good job...look ted cruz!
Thanks from Panther
Sabcat is offline  
Old February 4th, 2016, 01:13 PM   #48
The Posters of Meh
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North Texas
Posts: 4,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzza View Post
Shut down? What are you talking about. I simply said, while operating under the impression that I can still hold and voice my own opinion..., that I wasn't going to waste my time listening to some guy whine about what he thinks is happening. I have a totally different take on it, because I don't see the things that are being cried about here.
Yes, you are and unwittingly don't know it. Because you don't see it doesn't mean it is not happening. You are likely too close to or have too much invested the situation to be able to see it clearly.

Quote:
Funny that you refuse to believe my side of the story. You are trying to shut my viewpoint down, and trying to push some other guy's agenda.
I didn't say i believed or disbelieved your personal experience. I just said ignoring a different view point (because of a perceived whining, crying or mansplaining) is a major part of the problem on our campuses.

Quote:
Hmmm.

Strangle opposing views much?






Whatever.
I am listening to you. You're not listening to me. Case in point, closing your posts with a dismissive "whatever" is not an inducement to a winning arguement. Does that sound like a tolerant attitude to you if i were to treat you the same way. Nope. You would be all over that in a heart beat as another example of male chauvinism. I've seen you get pissed at others who disregarded your opinions and made light of your beliefs.
Panther is online now  
Old February 4th, 2016, 01:21 PM   #49
Riot Grrrl
 
Lyzza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Stage Left
Posts: 4,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
maybe you are just fortunate enough to not have had your campus infected yet, or maybe you just haven't noticed it yet.

use mr. google and check out the yale halloween scamper if you like, or breeze thru the vid.

it is real and it does infect the curriculum
There you go again with your "Mr." Google......
Lyzza is offline  
Old February 4th, 2016, 01:23 PM   #50
The Posters of Meh
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North Texas
Posts: 4,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzza View Post
Interesting. Don't see it. There was one time in a freshman level Western Civ I class when a professor kinda tossed out a question about whether or not anyone was going to get upset about our discussion on the Atlantic slave trade, and if they would want to leave the room. The black kids in the class laughed at the idea, and a couple of white guys pretended to grab up their bags and leave!

We all laughed and he continued on with the lecture. Nobody cried. No safe places were designated. Nobody got all butthurt.

Maybe you guys need to toughen up?
This isn't about your subjective experience. Though props need to be given to your college if they're not the ones afflicted with such problems.

But, if you had watched the video, you would know that this is a wide spread problem that effects colleges differently and some not all. Perhaps your college isn't effected by all this, or perhaps it is? Is anyone asking or talking about it, or is everyone being dismissive of it with a "Whatever"?

And yes. I am toughening up because i do care about the quality of, honesty of, courage of and intellectual vigor in higher education for subsequent future generations. If my "whining" (The words of others) helps to achieve this, then so be it.
Thanks from Sabcat

Last edited by Panther; February 4th, 2016 at 01:25 PM.
Panther is online now  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Education

Tags
campuses, college, conversation



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The coming of a perfect storm on US college campuses? Panther Education 3 August 16th, 2015 03:36 PM
no free speech on college campuses webguy4 Freedom of Speech 41 October 3rd, 2014 03:28 PM
Call To Boycott Israel Grow On US Campuses skews13 Current Events 17 December 11th, 2013 09:50 AM
Can you imagine a conversation with Hillary bullwinkle Politicians 1 February 4th, 2007 09:43 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.