Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Education

Education Educational System Forum - For topics and discussions about the educational system


Thanks Tree25Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2016, 03:14 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
There are two government reasons that the public school system fail: school boards and the federal government.

School boards rival the Cosa Nostra in the organized crime and corruption arena. Show me one-hundred school board members today and I will show you ninty-five school board members who should be serving five-to-ten in a state penitentiary.

The three branches of the federal government uses threats and intimidation to coerce states and school districts to put every conceivable non-educational concept before actual education, which they no nothing about.

This is not new. Mark Twain summed up school boards over a century ago: "In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."


As usual, I have to disagree--at least in part, Jimmy. I have worked with countless school boards. Some are great and some not-so-great. My father was on the school board (president) when I was in high school and it was not an easy job, even in a small town. There were tremendous splits in decisions--late night nasty phone calls--and the whole town taking sides. School boards are people/parents, many with their own agenda. Some are totally uneducated. Some are super-educated. Some have common sense. Some can't define logic. I was always treated fairly by my school boards and most of my administrators, but I saw tremendous abuse of power. I watched (for decades) as educating children took a back seat to testing and political pull. Sickening.
Clara007 is offline  
Old April 19th, 2016, 03:17 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Sister View Post
Parenting begins in the home and not the classroom.


I would like to tweak your statement to say: Education begins at home.
Parents who work with their children, read to the children, TALK to their children, and act as exemplary role models will have successful children.
Teachers are so thankful for parents like that.
Clara007 is offline  
Old April 19th, 2016, 03:35 PM   #23
Fm Presidential Candidate
 
Southern Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Monroe, GA
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
As usual, I have to disagree--at least in part, Jimmy. I have worked with countless school boards. Some are great and some not-so-great. My father was on the school board (president) when I was in high school and it was not an easy job, even in a small town. There were tremendous splits in decisions--late night nasty phone calls--and the whole town taking sides. School boards are people/parents, many with their own agenda. Some are totally uneducated. Some are super-educated. Some have common sense. Some can't define logic. I was always treated fairly by my school boards and most of my administrators, but I saw tremendous abuse of power. I watched (for decades) as educating children took a back seat to testing and political pull. Sickening.
School boards used to be parents. Something happened. That has changed. Now most are empty nesters. When I was a kid in my father got into an argument with a school administrator. This guy made a mistake. He told my father that it was none of his business what went on in the school. I don't think that I'd ever seen my father so mad.

That fall he registered to run for school board. He campaigned old school. Yard signs, newspaper ads, and door to door shaking hands with voters. He unseated the incumbent in a landslide. I think it was nine to one or something. He served two years on the school board, still working his full-time job.

During his time, he visited every school in the district many times. He ate lunch with the students. He spoke with teachers in the teacher's lounge. He sat in classrooms. When he first started showing up at schools the principals feared him. Once he made it clear that he wasn't there to find a reason to fire them but he was going to know the schools well enough to determine the needs before casting votes, they warmed up to him.

He abstained from a record number of votes because he wanted to understand it prior to casting a vote. The others would just vote "aye" on it. So one day, he added a clause to send him and his family on a vacation into a purchase bill. They passed it 6 to 0 with one abstention. He then went to the newspaper with the bill. Prior to the next cycle four chose not to run again. My father did not run for another term. I think the remaining two were relieved.
Southern Dad is offline  
Old April 19th, 2016, 03:43 PM   #24
Fm Presidential Candidate
 
Southern Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Monroe, GA
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
I would like to tweak your statement to say: Education begins at home.
Parents who work with their children, read to the children, TALK to their children, and act as exemplary role models will have successful children.
Teachers are so thankful for parents like that.
My daughter gets straight A's. She's been learning math since she was a kid. I look at life like my father did. My dad had a PhD in mathematics and a PhD in engineering. We learned math in our house. Ever look at a silo and wonder how much grain was in it? (3.14)r2h + 2(3.14)r3/3 For us it was second nature. We did it all the time. How many wedges in a square hay bales? That's fractions.

When I go to the grocery store, my daughter has the list. She can tell you the amount in our cart and she doesn't need a calculator. A pencil and a paper. And that is including sales tax at two different rates.
Thanks from Jimmyb
Southern Dad is offline  
Old April 19th, 2016, 03:47 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
My daughter gets straight A's. She's been learning math since she was a kid. I look at life like my father did. My dad had a PhD in mathematics and a PhD in engineering. We learned math in our house. Ever look at a silo and wonder how much grain was in it? (3.14)r2h + 2(3.14)r3/3 For us it was second nature. We did it all the time. How many wedges in a square hay bales? That's fractions.

When I go to the grocery store, my daughter has the list. She can tell you the amount in our cart and she doesn't need a calculator. A pencil and a paper. And that is including sales tax at two different rates.


Your father sounds like a great guy and your daughter is amazing. What is her passion? Sports? Music? Art?? Academics?
Clara007 is offline  
Old April 19th, 2016, 03:48 PM   #26
Commie Exposer
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 37,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
As usual, I have to disagree--at least in part, Jimmy. I have worked with countless school boards. Some are great and some not-so-great. My father was on the school board (president) when I was in high school and it was not an easy job, even in a small town. There were tremendous splits in decisions--late night nasty phone calls--and the whole town taking sides. School boards are people/parents, many with their own agenda. Some are totally uneducated. Some are super-educated. Some have common sense. Some can't define logic. I was always treated fairly by my school boards and most of my administrators, but I saw tremendous abuse of power. I watched (for decades) as educating children took a back seat to testing and political pull. Sickening.
Both of our positions are anecdotal, but from different positions and engagements regarding school boards. I have been on both sides as well. I have experienced nothing but wholesale corruption: some based on malicious intent, some based on abject ignorance, some based on intoxication from power, some based on breathtaking laziness, some based on board members being programed political correctness drones, and some crippled by political ideology. Most board members possess and operate with most or all of these flaws.

Regarding your father, I did qualify my statement in the present tense.
Thanks from Clara007
Jimmyb is offline  
Old April 19th, 2016, 05:41 PM   #27
Fm Presidential Candidate
 
Southern Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Monroe, GA
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
Your father sounds like a great guy and your daughter is amazing. What is her passion? Sports? Music? Art?? Academics?
My daughter's passions are photography, farming, and technology. Normally, when a newspaper executive brags about his daughter being published in the newspaper, we kind of laugh. But my daughter got her first photos published in a competing newspaper at 11 years old!

We've got chickens that I'm not allowed to send to "freezer camp." Trust me, she'd know if a single one of those suckers disappeared. I like to grow things you can eat in my greenhouse, she grows flowers. There's four long shelves in the greenhouse. I have one shelf and two raised beds. The rest is flowers.

Did I mention that I get walked on?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1715.jpg (99.5 KB, 6 views)
Thanks from Clara007
Southern Dad is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Education

Tags
26th, georgia, nation, ranks, school



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Georgia school clerk talks down shooter waitingtables Current Events 56 August 23rd, 2013 02:33 PM
Bush announces $1B in aid for nation of Georgia Tirya Current Events 4 October 20th, 2008 04:09 PM
Bush announces $1B in aid for nation of Georgia Political Talk 0 December 31st, 1969 04:00 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.