Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Education

Education Educational System Forum - For topics and discussions about the educational system


Thanks Tree9Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 28th, 2016, 06:04 PM   #1
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 21,532
Jr high social studies

the jr high kids are learning about the american system of government. today they were talking about term limits and things along that line. the topic of VP came up and one of the kids asked if there was ever a female VP the teacher responded no. the same kid then asked if she knew why not as a follow up question and the teacher responded because of sexism in america. yes, the teacher said that the reason that there has never been a woman VP was sexism. fantastic!!
Thanks from Panther, Athena, coke and 1 others
Sabcat is online now  
Old September 28th, 2016, 06:22 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 17,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
the jr high kids are learning about the american system of government. today they were talking about term limits and things along that line. the topic of VP came up and one of the kids asked if there was ever a female VP the teacher responded no. the same kid then asked if she knew why not as a follow up question and the teacher responded because of sexism in america. yes, the teacher said that the reason that there has never been a woman VP was sexism. fantastic!!
And...?
Thanks from imaginethat
Hollywood is offline  
Old October 9th, 2016, 06:03 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 606
And, that is a huge change in public education that always upheld traditional family values. However, I am not sure this change is all good, because now women and children have lost the protection that civilization gave them, unless we increase assistance to parents so no child is growing up hungry or homeless.

Last edited by Athena; October 9th, 2016 at 06:14 AM.
Athena is offline  
Old October 9th, 2016, 06:07 AM   #4
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 21,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
And, that is a huge change in public education that always upheld traditional family standards. However, I am not sure this change is all good, because now women and children have lost the protection that civilization gave them, unless we increase assistance to parents so no child is growing up hungry or homeless.
it is by design IMO. force the family to work so that the state can get its hands on the worker bees younger and younger
Sabcat is online now  
Old October 9th, 2016, 06:21 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
BubbaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 5,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
the jr high kids are learning about the american system of government. today they were talking about term limits and things along that line. the topic of VP came up and one of the kids asked if there was ever a female VP the teacher responded no. the same kid then asked if she knew why not as a follow up question and the teacher responded because of sexism in america. yes, the teacher said that the reason that there has never been a woman VP was sexism. fantastic!!

What is untrue here ?? I've talked to people quite recently that think women are unfit for the presidency or any other high, pressure high profile job. The real irony was last fall I was talking to a customer. She owns a large and very successful, at least 2 million a year in volume, business and SHE said she didn't think a woman could be president.

What's even funnier to me, is the conservative crowd that often states this mindset, hold women like Margret Thatcher and (until recently) Angela Merkel in high regard.
Thanks from Clara007
BubbaJones is offline  
Old October 9th, 2016, 06:37 AM   #6
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 21,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaJones View Post
What is untrue here ?? I've talked to people quite recently that think women are unfit for the presidency or any other high, pressure high profile job. The real irony was last fall I was talking to a customer. She owns a large and very successful, at least 2 million a year in volume, business and SHE said she didn't think a woman could be president.

What's even funnier to me, is the conservative crowd that often states this mindset, hold women like Margret Thatcher and (until recently) Angela Merkel in high regard.
leaving it as a cut and dry response. teaching the children that is the reason and the only one. as my kid pointed out women were not even allowed to vote until recently and even after that they took years to run for office. then you have the number of women vs men who actually run for office. then take into account the quality of the candidates. as she said when you take all of those factors in women have made tremendous strides in the last few decades. saying just "sexism" is not only setting a negative overview but selling the women short who have succeeded.

she came home pissed off from that class.
Thanks from Panther
Sabcat is online now  
Old October 9th, 2016, 06:40 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Earth
Posts: 987
Social Studies was by far my FAVORITE class in all of school. I loved social studies and history. I have loved maps and globes since I was a child. I would look and stare at a globe for hours as a child, and my mother would say I would sleep with a globe in my bed. I could tell you 98 percent of countries on the Planet (Pacific Island countries are a problem, Tuvalu anyone?) drunk and probably could identify 75-80 percent of flags. Flags can get tricky because a lot of countries use a tricolor flag which is non distinguishing, and even the countries of Chad and Romania have the exact same flag! The flags of Poland and Indonesia are the same also, half red and half white. One flies the white up and the other the red up. My favorite flag is the flag of Bhutan. My favorite state flag is either Indiana or New Mexico (with Arizona a close second).

To this day, I love to travel, and living in China allowed me to see most of that country. To go to Urumqi and eat BBQ lamb meat on a stick and drink 50 cent USD quarts of beer until dawn. To wake up on the train to Kashgar and see the Gobi desert, and see China with NO ONE for many many kilometers. Been to Zambia in 2014, and although I pissed away way, way too much money, fuck it, I went to Africa (my wife was (trying) to do business there). I played Roulette pissed in Lusaka. Roulette is a French word for "Fool gives me money." Dang probability and crooked casino odds!

Maps still fascinate me, especially the borders of countries. Chile and Vietnam are snake like countries which are thin and hug the shorelines. Or places like Uzbekistan, or countries in Africa which were badly carved out by drunken white people. Even state borders fascinate me. The northern West Virginia panhandle. Why did Virginia get access to this fairly narrow strip of land? Or Maryland is a funny shaped state with a strange panhandle that almost cuts in two.....

Makes me wonder, what is the closest point between three states besides the Four Corners of the west? Probably walking from Virginia, to a skinny point of the Maryland panhandle and then to Pennsylvania. If I had the time and money, all I would do is travel. Seen a lot, would like to see everything else. Thus my love of Social Studies and History.

Most people going through the drudgery of education is going to end up as a cashier of a Lowe's store in Fifty Six Arkansas and couldn't care less of the World beyond the, outside of their town. Fair enough. Many people want to stay home. So do I. When I am blessed to take a far away trip, it is wonderful to get back to familiarity. But someone states that "familiarity breeds contempt". Never understood that. But I think students should have a passing understanding of their World and their place in it. Social Studies does this. We live in a multicultural World now. There is seven billion people on the Planet which is galloping higher, and we have people living everywhere all over the Earth. I find it to be an important subject which doesn't get the respect it deserves.

Last edited by senor boogie woogie; October 9th, 2016 at 06:50 AM.
senor boogie woogie is offline  
Old October 9th, 2016, 06:48 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 8,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
it is by design IMO. force the family to work so that the state can get its hands on the worker bees younger and younger
The state isn't forcing families to work, that is the "free enterprise system" that is forcing families to work.
What does that do to your theory?
Thanks from Clara007
goober is offline  
Old October 9th, 2016, 06:54 AM   #9
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 21,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
The state isn't forcing families to work, that is the "free enterprise system" that is forcing families to work.
What does that do to your theory?
strengthens it.

your response would fit much better in one of the indoctrination threads
Sabcat is online now  
Old October 9th, 2016, 08:23 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
BubbaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 5,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
leaving it as a cut and dry response. teaching the children that is the reason and the only one. as my kid pointed out women were not even allowed to vote until recently and even after that they took years to run for office. then you have the number of women vs men who actually run for office. then take into account the quality of the candidates. as she said when you take all of those factors in women have made tremendous strides in the last few decades. saying just "sexism" is not only setting a negative overview but selling the women short who have succeeded.

she came home pissed off from that class.
But doesn't "sexism" pretty much cover all the above ?? Wasn't it sexism that kept women from voting ?? Wasn't it sexism that kept women off the ballots ?? Wasn't it sexism that denied women the higher educations needed to be qualified for office ??

I don't see why your child should have been upset. The teacher wasn't wrong. "Sexism" was simply the short answer.

Women HAVE made great strides in the last century. But there is still a very persistent mindset out there that women "just aren't capable" of doing certain jobs. As such, starting as girls they are told sometimes outright, but often more subtly, that they shouldn't pursue certain fields of study.

My mom in her own quiet way was a bit of a revolutionary. She went to college in the 50's and was the only woman in some of her classes because she was planning to work in what was a very male dominated field. In the 60's she raced sports cars with my father. Damned fast too, and at 86 years old still drives better than most people !! Having grown up with that kind of mom, I don't carry the "women can't" mindset, and I don't understand those that do.

For thousands of years it was women that handled the vast majority of medical care. But when doctoring became a "profession" women were first reduced to only being allowed to handle childbirth, then later not even that. After thousand of years they were now not qualified to be doctors ??

In most societies cooking the family meals is "women's work" but all the great chefs were men ?? Julia Child shocked the men when she attended Le Cordon Bleu cooking school.

Maybe your child's teacher just wasn't in a debating mood, but I don't see where she was wrong at all. the answer is sexism, and despite the gains women have made it is very much alive and well here in the 21st century.
Thanks from Clara007
BubbaJones is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Education

Tags
high, social, studies



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Social Justice Bullies: The Authoritarianism of Millennial Social Justice Panther Political Ideologies 3 August 9th, 2015 01:41 PM
Because social studies and books aren't enough sushicat New Users 10 January 23rd, 2013 06:56 PM
I minored in LGBT studies forester814 Gay and Lesbian Rights 382 April 15th, 2011 12:46 PM
A Degree in Gay Studies pensacola_niceman Gay and Lesbian Rights 81 September 14th, 2009 07:57 AM
Studies Prove: Part II alias Environment 1 August 13th, 2006 11:40 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.