Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Environment

Environment Environmental Politics Forum - Environmental issues, global warming, pollution, and proposals


Thanks Tree39Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2016, 12:12 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
roastpork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,208
The big lie?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against clean oceans!

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch was the myth we needed to save our oceans.
Thanks from excalibur
roastpork is offline  
Old September 13th, 2016, 12:58 PM   #2
Banned
 
coke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: nunya
Posts: 12,580
Yeah that has been exposed as another Socialist lie. The environmental radicals is a really good home for Marxists. They get to attack anyone with money and blame them, unless its rich people who are donating to their cause. Those guys get excused for investing in dirty air and water because they are considered part of the "correct" politic.
Thanks from webguy4 and Sabcat
coke is offline  
Old September 14th, 2016, 10:21 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
baloney_detector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 4,858
There certainly are "garbage patches," so to speak, located within Pacific Ocean and Atlantic Ocean gyres.

Although there isn't islands of garbage.

Quote:

...

The Final Science Report - by Emelia DeForce

The last science deployment was a few days ago and I can’t believe the scientific program for Plastics at SEA: North Pacific Expedition 2012 has come to a close. Months before the expedition we planned an ambitious and challenging sampling schedule. During this expedition we had more scientific collaborations with other institutions than any other Sea Education Association expedition in the past. Because of our dedicated scientific team, we not only completed our objectives but we surpassed them.

Although most of the research will happen back on land, here are our findings thus far:

we hand counted 66,077 pieces of plastic from 118 plankton net tows
we logged 3,489 pieces of large “macrodebris” from visual surveys
95% of the plastic collected was millimeters in size
plastic was collected in every net tow within the North Pacific subtropical gyre
every subsurface net tow contained plastic
all plastic collected had living organisms on it
each net tow also contained plankton
plastic counts from net tows ranged from 9 - 24,213 in the gyre

What does this all mean? To start off, we counted close to 70,000 (69,566 to be exact) pieces of plastic during this expedition through one transect in the gyre, akin to traveling from Boston to Seattle on Interstate 90. We covered a smidgen of the gyre and can give you a snapshot of the concentration of plastics during our course through the Pacific. The bottom line: there is much more to be studied. Furthermore, because almost all the plastic pieces are tiny, unless you are specifically putting on your “plastic viewing goggles,” you won’t see the plastic.

We also sampled a significant amount below the surface of the ocean indicating that there are plastics that we have not yet detected, a “hole” in the data if you will.

There were organisms on every plastic piece, but more importantly organisms with every plastic piece we caught. This is the crux of the question of cleaning up the plastic; if we try to remove the plastic from the ocean, we will scoop out the living organisms with it. This will be detrimental to the ocean ecosystem as we know it. It is not an option. What is more realistic is to stop more plastic from entering the ocean and let the ocean dispose of what is already present, even if this takes centuries or millenia.

Our range of plastic concentrations from one nautical mile to another indicates that there is not one particular spot or “island” where this plastic exists—it is patchy and irregular, not consistent.


Plastics at SEA North Pacific Expedition - Investigating the effects of plastic in the ocean ecosystem | Home
baloney_detector is offline  
Old September 14th, 2016, 10:36 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 10,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloney_detector View Post
There certainly are "garbage patches," so to speak, located within Pacific Ocean and Atlantic Ocean gyres.

Although there isn't islands of garbage.
I have sailed across the Pacific back and forth too many times to remember and never saw one garbage patch and that was in the seventies but those darn flying fish would scare me when they flew at me.
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old September 14th, 2016, 10:45 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
baloney_detector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 4,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Sister View Post
I have sailed across the Pacific back and forth too many times to remember and never saw one garbage patch and that was in the seventies but those darn flying fish would scare me when they flew at me.
A lot of that garbage seems to be rather small in size (millimeters) pieces of plastic, based on samples that were taken.

So, it's probably not unusual to not see it with the naked eye from aboard a ship.

And, my guess is it is likely those patches might have existed since plastics have been utilized to a great extent.
Thanks from Camelot and Twisted Sister
baloney_detector is offline  
Old September 14th, 2016, 10:51 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 10,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloney_detector View Post
A lot of that garbage seems to be rather small in size (millimeters) pieces of plastic, based on samples that were taken.

So, it's probably not unusual to not see it with the naked eye from aboard a ship.

And, my guess is it is likely those patches might have existed since plastics have been utilized to a great extent.
Plastic is lighter than water and floats. UV rays from the Sun quickly chop up the polymer making it smaller and smaller until it disappears into the background noise.
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old September 14th, 2016, 10:57 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 54,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by coke View Post
Yeah that has been exposed as another Socialist lie. The environmental radicals is a really good home for Marxists. They get to attack anyone with money and blame them, unless its rich people who are donating to their cause. Those guys get excused for investing in dirty air and water because they are considered part of the "correct" politic.
What has been exposed as a socialist lie?

What makes concern for the environment a Marxist trait?

Attacking people with money? You mean, the guy who's drinking water out of a plastic bottle that's carelessly discarded?

Who's been excused for investing in dirty air and water?

You're all ate up, man. You should be more kind to yourself.
Thanks from baloney_detector and Camelot
imaginethat is offline  
Old September 14th, 2016, 11:01 AM   #8
Banned
 
excalibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Milky Way
Posts: 24,581
Using the environment to make government, and the U.N., bigger, that is the lie.

As if CO2 were a pollutant.


Thanks from Jimgorn
excalibur is offline  
Old September 14th, 2016, 11:07 AM   #9
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: LA LA Land North
Posts: 25,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Sister View Post
Plastic is lighter than water and floats. UV rays from the Sun quickly chop up the polymer making it smaller and smaller until it disappears into the background noise.
Only for a few plastics, and it takes a long time.

Plus, more and more it is being learned that nanoparticles are very dangerous.
Thanks from Twisted Sister
RNG is offline  
Old September 14th, 2016, 11:07 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 10,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur View Post
Using the environment to make government, and the U.N., bigger, that is the lie.

As if CO2 were a pollutant.


CO is a pollutant. Every time you exhale you are releasing CO2 into the atmosphere.
Twisted Sister is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Environment

Tags
big, lie



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.