Defending The Truth Political Forum

Defending The Truth Political Forum (http://defendingthetruth.com/political-forums.php)
-   Europe (http://defendingthetruth.com/europe/)
-   -   France stands firm over nomination of gay Vatican envoy (http://defendingthetruth.com/europe/48009-france-stands-firm-over-nomination-gay-vatican-envoy.html)

RNG April 15th, 2015 02:34 PM

France stands firm over nomination of gay Vatican envoy
 
For a staunch Catholic country, this surprises me. I can't see it being an "in your face" from France to the Vatican.

Quote:

France has said it will not back down over its nomination of an openly gay ambassador to the Vatican.

The French government proposed senior diplomat Laurent Stefanini for the post in January but the Vatican is yet to respond to approve the choice.
The Vatican usually responds within six weeks to approve such a new ambassador.

The nomination of Mr Stefanini was seen as a litmus test for Pope Francis, who has taken a more liberal stance on homosexuality.
A French government spokesman said there had been negotiations with the Vatican over the appointment.

"France has chosen its ambassador to the Vatican. This choice was Stefanini and that remains the French proposal," said spokesman Stephane Le Foll.
Observers say most Vatican appointments are confirmed within six weeks and that this long silence should be read as a rejection.

The Vatican traditionally makes no statement if it intends to decline a nomination.

Mr Stefanini served in the Holy See as a deputy ambassador in the French embassy from 2001 to 2005.

He was described by the country's foreign ministry as "one of our best diplomats".

France legalised same-sex marriage in 2013, despite opposition from the Catholic Church.

Pope Francis is regarded as more tolerant of homosexuality than previous popes. "Who am I to judge?", he said in 2013.
France stands firm over nomination of gay Vatican envoy - BBC News

LongWinded April 15th, 2015 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RNG (Post 799376)
For a staunch Catholic country, this surprises me. I can't see it being an "in your face" from France to the Vatican.


France stands firm over nomination of gay Vatican envoy - BBC News



Maybe the guy just earned the position. Maybe he's a really good Catholic.

tristanrobin April 15th, 2015 04:07 PM

Has anything been written about whether or not this gay diplomat is even sexually active, or if he's celibate?

If he's a celibate gay man, and the Vatican turns their back on him, it goes against everything they've said about gay priests.

LongWinded April 15th, 2015 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tristanrobin (Post 799401)
Has anything been written about whether or not this gay diplomat is even sexually active, or if he's celibate?

If he's a celibate gay man, and the Vatican turns their back on him, it goes against everything they've said about gay priests.

Not sure. But France has sent a gay representative in 2007 and it was rejected under that other Pope.

pensacola_niceman April 15th, 2015 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongWinded (Post 799399)
Maybe the guy just earned the position. Maybe he's a really good Catholic.

Being Catholic means you cannot possibly be openly gay. I'm not saying that is a good thing, but it is part of the Catholic doctrine that homosexuality is a sin.

I think this compares to a black man demanding to be accepted by the KKK.

Hollywood April 15th, 2015 05:23 PM

I'm just sitting here trying to figure out why I should give a rat's ass who France sends to the Vatican as an ambassador, or what the Vatican might think of him.

pensacola_niceman April 15th, 2015 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood (Post 799436)
I'm just sitting here trying to figure out why I should give a rat's ass who France sends to the Vatican as an ambassador, or what the Vatican might think of him.

I'm wondering why a gay issue even comes up in the Catholic church since they regard homosexuality as a sin.

excalibur April 15th, 2015 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pensacola_niceman (Post 799438)
I'm wondering why a gay issue even comes up in the Catholic church since they regard homosexuality as a sin.


They regard homosexual acts as a sin, not homosexuality.



excalibur April 15th, 2015 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RNG (Post 799376)
For a staunch Catholic country, this surprises me. I can't see it being an "in your face" from France to the Vatican


It has been a long while since France was a staunch Catholic country.




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:07 AM.


Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.