Political Forums
Forum Notice

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Talk > Europe


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #1
Banned
 
garysher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34,678
Some Britons Too Unruly for Resorts in Europe

Some Britons Too Unruly for Resorts in Europe



By SARAH LYALL, Published: August 23, 2008



MALIA, Greece — Even in a sea of tourists, it is easy to spot the Britons here on the northeast coast of Crete, and not just from the telltale pallor of their sun-deprived northern skin.



They are the ones, the locals say, who are carousing, brawling and getting violently sick. They are the ones crowding into health clinics seeking morning-after pills and help for sexually transmitted diseases. They are the ones who seem to have one vacation plan: drinking themselves into oblivion.



“They scream, they sing, they fall down, they take their clothes off, they cross-dress, they vomit,” Malia’s mayor, Konstantinos Lagoudakis, said in an interview. “It is only the British people — not the Germans or the French.”



Malia is the latest and currently most notorious in a long list of European resorts full of young British tourists on packaged tours offering cheap alcohol and a license to behave badly. In Magaluf and Ibiza, Spain; in Ayia Napa, Cyprus; and in the Greek resorts of Faliraki, Kavos and Laganas as well as Malia, the story is the same: They come, they drink, they wreak havoc.



“The government of Britain has to do something,” Mr. Lagoudakis said. “These people are giving a bad name to their country.”



They are also hurting themselves in the process. A recent report published by the British Foreign Office, “British Behavior Abroad,” noted that in a 12-month period in 2006 and 2007, 602 Britons were hospitalized and 28 raped in Greece, and that 1,591 died in Spain and 2,032 were arrested there.



So it would seem. Reports of scandalous incidents rumble on regularly here and elsewhere, helping to cement Britain’s reputation as the largest exporter of inebriated hooligans in Europe.



Earlier this summer, flying home to Manchester from the Greek island of Kos, a pair of drunken women yelling “I need some fresh air” attacked the flight attendants with a vodka bottle and tried to wrestle the airplane’s emergency door open at 30,000 feet. The plane diverted hastily to Frankfurt, and the women were arrested.



In Laganas, on the Greek island of Zakinthos, where a teenager from Sheffield died after a drinking binge this summer, more than a dozen British women were charged in July with prostitution after taking part, the authorities said, in an alfresco oral sex contest.



More alarmingly, a 20-year-old British tourist partied with her sister and a friend into the early hours in Malia also in July, then returned to her hotel room and — although she had denied being pregnant — gave birth. Her companions say they returned later to find the baby dead; she has been charged with infanticide.



And in Dubai, also this summer, a British man and woman who met during a drinking bout were arrested and charged with having sex on a beach, after repeatedly shouting abuse at a police officer who ordered them to stop.



All of which leads to a natural question: Why?



David Familton, a Briton who works in a club here, said that it was a question of emotional comfort. “It’s because of British culture — no one can relax, so they become inebriated to be the people they want to be,” he said.



Local officials say the blame lies not just with the tourists themselves, but also with the operators of package tours promising drinking-and-partying vacations, and clubs offering industrial-strength alcohol at rock-bottom prices. For about $50 in Malia, tourists can go on unlimited-drinking pub crawls.



“British tour operators present them with these packages that promise a wild holiday in Malia,” said Brig. Fotis Georgopoulos, the police chief of Iraklion, which takes in Malia. “This predisposes them. They are automatically put into a wild and lawless mind-set that is beyond them.”



Just then, several young men who had the pale, queasy look that suggested the end of hangovers not yet muted by new infusions of alcohol, passed by, and Mr. Fisher asked them why they drank so much, night after night.



“It’s what everyone wants to do,” one young man said.



His friend said: “We have stressful jobs, and we don’t get much time off, and we like to enjoy ourselves and have a good laugh. And we love a bargain.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/24/wo...e/24crete.html
garysher is offline  
Remove Ads
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
knowuryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 7,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysher
Some Britons Too Unruly for Resorts in Europe



By SARAH LYALL, Published: August 23, 2008



MALIA, Greece — Even in a sea of tourists, it is easy to spot the Britons here on the northeast coast of Crete, and not just from the telltale pallor of their sun-deprived northern skin.



They are the ones, the locals say, who are carousing, brawling and getting violently sick. They are the ones crowding into health clinics seeking morning-after pills and help for sexually transmitted diseases. They are the ones who seem to have one vacation plan: drinking themselves into oblivion.



“They scream, they sing, they fall down, they take their clothes off, they cross-dress, they vomit,” Malia’s mayor, Konstantinos Lagoudakis, said in an interview. “It is only the British people — not the Germans or the French.”



Malia is the latest and currently most notorious in a long list of European resorts full of young British tourists on packaged tours offering cheap alcohol and a license to behave badly. In Magaluf and Ibiza, Spain; in Ayia Napa, Cyprus; and in the Greek resorts of Faliraki, Kavos and Laganas as well as Malia, the story is the same: They come, they drink, they wreak havoc.



“The government of Britain has to do something,” Mr. Lagoudakis said. “These people are giving a bad name to their country.”



They are also hurting themselves in the process. A recent report published by the British Foreign Office, “British Behavior Abroad,” noted that in a 12-month period in 2006 and 2007, 602 Britons were hospitalized and 28 raped in Greece, and that 1,591 died in Spain and 2,032 were arrested there.



So it would seem. Reports of scandalous incidents rumble on regularly here and elsewhere, helping to cement Britain’s reputation as the largest exporter of inebriated hooligans in Europe.



Earlier this summer, flying home to Manchester from the Greek island of Kos, a pair of drunken women yelling “I need some fresh air” attacked the flight attendants with a vodka bottle and tried to wrestle the airplane’s emergency door open at 30,000 feet. The plane diverted hastily to Frankfurt, and the women were arrested.



In Laganas, on the Greek island of Zakinthos, where a teenager from Sheffield died after a drinking binge this summer, more than a dozen British women were charged in July with prostitution after taking part, the authorities said, in an alfresco oral sex contest.



More alarmingly, a 20-year-old British tourist partied with her sister and a friend into the early hours in Malia also in July, then returned to her hotel room and — although she had denied being pregnant — gave birth. Her companions say they returned later to find the baby dead; she has been charged with infanticide.



And in Dubai, also this summer, a British man and woman who met during a drinking bout were arrested and charged with having sex on a beach, after repeatedly shouting abuse at a police officer who ordered them to stop.



All of which leads to a natural question: Why?



David Familton, a Briton who works in a club here, said that it was a question of emotional comfort. “It’s because of British culture — no one can relax, so they become inebriated to be the people they want to be,” he said.



Local officials say the blame lies not just with the tourists themselves, but also with the operators of package tours promising drinking-and-partying vacations, and clubs offering industrial-strength alcohol at rock-bottom prices. For about $50 in Malia, tourists can go on unlimited-drinking pub crawls.



“British tour operators present them with these packages that promise a wild holiday in Malia,” said Brig. Fotis Georgopoulos, the police chief of Iraklion, which takes in Malia. “This predisposes them. They are automatically put into a wild and lawless mind-set that is beyond them.”



Just then, several young men who had the pale, queasy look that suggested the end of hangovers not yet muted by new infusions of alcohol, passed by, and Mr. Fisher asked them why they drank so much, night after night.



“It’s what everyone wants to do,” one young man said.



His friend said: “We have stressful jobs, and we don’t get much time off, and we like to enjoy ourselves and have a good laugh. And we love a bargain.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/24/wo...e/24crete.html
Is this how you behaved before you found Jesus?





knowuryder is offline  
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:54 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
AlicornsPrayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southern Illinois-Home of Popey
Posts: 4,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowuryder
Is this how you behaved before you found Jesus?






Heck he still acts that way...
AlicornsPrayer is offline  
Old August 25th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Tirya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,362
Quote:
And in Dubai, also this summer, a British man and woman who met during a drinking bout were arrested and charged with having sex on a beach, after repeatedly shouting abuse at a police officer who ordered them to stop.


You realize that if it were gays who were acting this way (instead of straights) that gary (and others) would be having a field day with talking about the "immorality of homosexuals"...



Tirya is offline  
Old August 25th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #5
Wow
Senior Member
 
Wow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirya
You realize that if it were gays who were acting this way (instead of straights) that gary (and others) would be having a field day with talking about the "immorality of homosexuals"...



Gays do act this way on the streets of America in front of children.

These events are commonly called "Gay pride parades"



I remember a Gay pride parade in NYC a few years ago, Lesbians were ganging up on female Heteros and groping them.

The Lesbians blamed the NY police for not stopping them!
Wow is offline  
Old August 25th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #6
Banned
 
garysher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wow
Gays do act this way on the streets of America in front of children.

These events are commonly called "Gay pride parades"



I remember a Gay pride parade in NYC a few years ago, Lesbians were ganging up on female Heteros and groping them.

The Lesbians blamed the NY police for not stopping them!




Our next door neighbour told us the realtor showed her rented house to two homosexual guys last week.



She said they were both in their sixties.



All the neighbours are now worried in case they move in, because there are many families around with young children, who shouldn't have to be exposed to that.
garysher is offline  
Old August 25th, 2008, 03:56 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
winston53660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysher
Our next door neighbour told us the realtor showed her rented house to two homosexual guys last week.



She said they were both in their sixties.



All the neighbours are now worried in case they move in, because there are many families around with young children, who shouldn't have to be exposed to that.




Exposed to what?
winston53660 is offline  
Old August 25th, 2008, 04:14 PM   #8
Wow
Senior Member
 
Wow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston53660
Exposed to what?
According to this study, Gays are 40 times more likely to rape a child.





LOUISVILLE, Ky, June 1, 2001 (LSN.ca) - Dr. Judith Reisman, a social researcher who has studied sexual behavior for 24 years, has released a new study called "Crafting Gay Children" in which she shows that since heterosexuals outnumber the homosexual population about 44 to 1. And yet, the incidence of homosexuals molesting children is up to 40 times greater than heterosexuals. In an interview with the Baptist Press, Reisman stressed that not all homosexuals are child molesters, but demonstrated that the data clearly indicate a greater incidence of child molestation among homosexuals.



Reisman, who is famous for having debunked Alfred Kinsey's sex theories by showing he based much of his research on pedophiles, showed how simple statistics counter the common falsehood that 'heterosexuals are more likely to molest children." Taking figures from a 1991 population study by the U.S. Department of Commerce, Reisman looks at heterosexual abuse of girls by men and homosexual abuse of boys by men. Taking into account the numbers of homosexuals and the numbers of heterosexuals in the population, the data shoed that 8 million girls were abused by age 18 by heterosexual men, a ratio of 1 victim to 11 adult men. However, 6-8 million boys were abused by age 18 by 1-2 million adult homosexuals, a ratio of 3-5 victims for every gay adult.

STUDY SHOWS HOMOSEXUALS MORE LIKELY TO MOLEST CHILDREN
Wow is offline  
Old August 25th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
winston53660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,266
Life site news . com? Really how can one take them seriously? Do you have any academic peer reviewed studies?



Oh and about Reisman:

Quote:

A sixty-nine-year-old independent researcher with a Ph.D. in communications and a former songwriter for Captain Kangaroo,


I hardly think she is qualified to make any judgments about homosexuality.
winston53660 is offline  
Old August 25th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #10
Wow
Senior Member
 
Wow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston53660
Life site news . com? Really how can one take them seriously? Do you have any academic peer reviewed studies?



Oh and about Reisman:





I hardly think she is qualified to make any judgments about homosexuality.
Would you prefer she be the President of the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund?
Wow is offline  
Old August 25th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #11
Banned
 
garysher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wow
According to this study, Gays are 40 times more likely to rape a child.





LOUISVILLE, Ky, June 1, 2001 (LSN.ca) - Dr. Judith Reisman, a social researcher who has studied sexual behavior for 24 years, has released a new study called "Crafting Gay Children" in which she shows that since heterosexuals outnumber the homosexual population about 44 to 1. And yet, the incidence of homosexuals molesting children is up to 40 times greater than heterosexuals. In an interview with the Baptist Press, Reisman stressed that not all homosexuals are child molesters, but demonstrated that the data clearly indicate a greater incidence of child molestation among homosexuals.



Reisman, who is famous for having debunked Alfred Kinsey's sex theories by showing he based much of his research on pedophiles, showed how simple statistics counter the common falsehood that 'heterosexuals are more likely to molest children." Taking figures from a 1991 population study by the U.S. Department of Commerce, Reisman looks at heterosexual abuse of girls by men and homosexual abuse of boys by men. Taking into account the numbers of homosexuals and the numbers of heterosexuals in the population, the data shoed that 8 million girls were abused by age 18 by heterosexual men, a ratio of 1 victim to 11 adult men. However, 6-8 million boys were abused by age 18 by 1-2 million adult homosexuals, a ratio of 3-5 victims for every gay adult.

STUDY SHOWS HOMOSEXUALS MORE LIKELY TO MOLEST CHILDREN


Oh boy I hope the neighbours don't get wind of this.
garysher is offline  
Old August 25th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Bronwyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wow
Would you prefer she be the President of the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund?
Nope. But how about someone with a degree or other background in Sociology, Criminal Investigation, things like that.



Pediophiles will go for either sex, so her premise if flawed from the onset.
Bronwyn is offline  
Old August 25th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
winston53660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wow
Would you prefer she be the President of the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund?




I really don't care but I do think she should at least be somewhat qualified/educated in what she is spouting off about.
winston53660 is offline  
Old August 25th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #14
Banned
 
garysher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston53660
I really don't care but I do think she should at least be somewhat qualified/educated in what she is spouting off about.


'Dr. Judith Reisman, a social researcher who has studied sexual behavior for 24 years..............................Taking figures from a 1991 population study by the U.S. Department of Commerce............'









A PhD and 24 years experience isn't enough?



Or do you think the US Dept of Commerce deliberately distorted the statistics to discriminate against those poor homosexuals?

garysher is offline  
Old August 25th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Tirya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston53660
I really don't care but I do think she should at least be somewhat qualified/educated in what she is spouting off about.


What, a doctorate in Communication doesn't qualify her?



Quote:
Judith Reisman, Ph.D., President of The Institute For Media Education, received her doctorate in Communication from Case Western Reserve University.
Tirya is offline  
Old August 25th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #16
Banned
 
garysher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirya
What, a doctorate in Communication doesn't qualify her?


Exactly.



It's more than sufficient credential to interpret these statistics from the US Dept of Commerce.



As usual win wants to avert his eyes from the power of truth.
garysher is offline  
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
winston53660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysher
'Dr. Judith Reisman, a social researcher who has studied sexual behavior for 24 years..............................Taking figures from a 1991 population study by the U.S. Department of Commerce............'









A PhD and 24 years experience isn't enough?



Or do you think the US Dept of Commerce deliberately distorted the statistics to discriminate against those poor homosexuals?



Next you will say that anybody with a Phd can be a heart surgeon because they read a couple of articles about it.
winston53660 is offline  
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Tirya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,362
I thought this was good:



Quote:
It is now official...Judith Reisman is rapidly replacing Ann Coulter as my personal choice as the most looniest, loopyiest, "Back away from the Kool-Aid" right-wing antisex activist alive.



Witness this latest article about her that appeared in the New Yorker...and pay particular attention to the latest revisionist spin that she gives to the Holocaust.



http://www.newyorker.com/talk/content/?041206ta_talk_radosh


OLD American Century / White Rose Society message boards > Judith Reisman Unmasked (by New Yorker)



Quote:
Though largely unknown outside social-conservative circles, Reisman has been influential within them. She has served as a consultant to the Departments of Education and Health and Human Services and was given seven hundred and thirty-four thousand dollars by Ronald Reagan’s Justice Department to study pornography. More recently, she has been active in the rise of abstinence-only education; in June, her colleagues gave her an Abstie Award for lifetime achievement. Last week, Reisman testified at a congressional hearing about the dangers of pornography addiction, saying that police should be required to collect evidence of pornography consumption at any crime scene.



[...]



To a reader of Reisman’s scholarly papers, it sometimes appears that there is little for which she does not hold Kinsey responsible. In her research on gays, for instance, she has written that the “recruitment techniques” of homosexuals rival those of the Marine Corps. The Kinsey paradigm, she holds, created the moral framework that makes such recruitment possible. Reisman also endorses a book called “The Pink Swastika,” which challenges the “myths” that gays were victimized in Nazi Germany. The Nazi Party and the Holocaust itself, she writes, were largely the creation of “the German homosexual movement.” Thanks to Alfred Kinsey, she warns, the American homosexual movement is poised to repeat those crimes. “Idealistic ‘gay youth’ groups are being formed and staffed in classrooms nationwide by recruiters too similar to those who formed the original ‘Hitler youth.’ ”


::
Tirya is offline  
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:48 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Bronwyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 877
And she is supposed to have written an UNBIASED report? Cats ass.
Bronwyn is offline  
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #20
Wow
Senior Member
 
Wow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronwyn
Nope. But how about someone with a degree or other background in Sociology, Criminal Investigation, things like that.



Pediophiles will go for either sex, so her premise if flawed from the onset.
Dr. Judith Reisman, a social researcher who has studied sexual behavior for 24 years.



Obviously, you prefer I use a source that must pander to the Homosexual agenda in order to get research funding from a Liberal activist group!

That's very intellectually dishonest of you. Hahahaha busted!
Wow is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Talk > Europe

Tags
britons, europe, resorts, unruly


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Europe Engagement In Libian Charles De Gaulle Europe 0 March 24th, 2011 08:12 PM
A perspective from Europe George Europe 34 September 20th, 2007 08:53 AM
Europe has TFA restrictions. Why don't we? hevusa Business & Industries 3 April 23rd, 2006 04:57 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.