Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Civil Rights > Gay and Lesbian Rights

Gay and Lesbian Rights Gay and Lesbian Political Rights Forum - For topics and discussions about LGBT


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #1
Mom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 269
Clinton, Obama promote gay rights as human rights around the world





By Elise Labott, CNN

updated 4:44 PM EST, Tue December 6, 2011





STORY HIGHLIGHTS



President Obama has ordered all U.S. agencies to "promote and protect" gay rights

Clinton, addressing the U.N. rights council, criticizes nations that criminalize gay behavior

"No practice or tradition trumps the human rights that belong to all of us," Clinton says



Geneva, Switzerland (CNN) -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton challenged nations around the world Tuesday to recognize that "gay rights are human rights and human rights are gay rights," building on an order by President Barack Obama directing all U.S. agencies to "promote and protect" the rights of gay people,



In an impassioned defense of such rights, Clinton called the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people "universal" and criticized nations that criminalize gay behavior or tolerate abuse of gay, bisexual or transgendered people



Clinton made the unusually strong speech as Obama announced a presidential directive to use U.S. foreign aid to promote rights for gays and lesbians abroad, including combating attempts by foreign governments to criminalize homosexuality and making treatment of gays a factor in awarding foreign aid.



The remarks were meant to mark Human Rights Day, which is Saturday. The date commemorates the 1948 signing of the U.N. Declaration of Human Rights.



Speaking to the U.N. Human Rights Council, before an audience that included diplomats from Arab, African and other countries with poor records on gay rights, Clinton said religious beliefs and cultural practices are no excuse for discriminating or tolerating violence against gay people.



"No practice or tradition trumps the human rights that belong to all of us, and this holds true for inflicting violence on LGBT people," she said. "It is a violation of human rights when people are beaten or killed because of their sexual orientation, or because they do not conform to cultural norms about how men and women should look or behave."



Clinton recognized America's own record on LGBT equality is "far from perfect." She called laws discriminating against gays or tolerating abuse against them a violation of human rights and rejected the notion espoused by some nations that "homosexuality is a Western phenomenon and therefore people from outside the West have grounds to reject it."



"Gay people are born into -- and belong to -- every society in the world. They are all ages, all races, all faiths. They are doctors, and teachers, farmers and bankers, soldiers and athletes," she said. "Being gay is not a Western invention. It is a human reality."



The U.N. Human Rights Council has gradually been more vocal about promoting gay rights. In June the body passed a measure supporting equal rights for all, regardless of sexual orientation, and in March it adopted a statement, supported by 85 countries, on gay rights called "Ending Violence Based on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity." The State Department lobbied intensively on behalf of both documents.



The Obama administration, and Clinton in particular, has made gay rights a key focus of its human rights agenda. Obama repealed the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy allowing gays to serve openly in the military and, at Clinton's urging, extended medical benefits to the same-sex partners of federal employees early in his term.



Gay rights have also taken on a greater role in U.S. foreign policy. Clinton aides say she regularly raises the issue in meetings with her counterparts and she has instructed embassies around the world to report on violence and discrimination against the LGBT community and challenge laws that criminalize LGBT status or conduct.



The State Department has raised concerns about proposed laws in Nigeria that would criminalize conduct, as well as in Uganda, which would have in some cases applied the death penalty.



Obama issued a memorandum Tuesday directing all U.S. government agencies working abroad to use foreign aid to assist gays and lesbians who are facing human rights violations and improve protections for gay and lesbian refugees and asylum seekers.



The presidential order applies to all U.S. government agencies involved in foreign aid, including the departments of State, Defense, Homeland Security and Treasury, as well as the U.S. Agency for International Development. The administration will take treatment of gays into consideration when making decisions on awarding foreign aid.



"Our deep commitment to advancing the human rights of all people is strengthened when we as the United States bring our tools to bear to vigorously advance this goal," Obama said in the memorandum.



As part of the administration's effort, Clinton announced a $3 million fund to support civil society and non-governmental organization activists working on the subject, as well as enhancing protection for refugees and asylum seekers who are being persecuted because of LGBT status.



Gay rights groups praised the effort as a significant step toward protecting the rights of gays and lesbians around the world.



"Today's actions by President Obama make clear that the United States will not turn a blind eye when governments commit or allow abuses to the human rights of LGBT people," said Joe Solmonese, president of the Human Rights Campaign, a gay advocacy organization.



SOURCE: http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/06/world/...hts/index.html
Mom is offline  
Old December 7th, 2011, 12:22 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
jaaaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas
Posts: 1,682
A lifestyle choice such as homosexuality is a basic human 'civil right'? Like those rights that allow women to be on the same playing field as men and those rights afforded to minorities not to be discriminated against? I disagree.
jaaaman is offline  
Old December 7th, 2011, 04:47 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
PaperAlchemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaaman View Post
A lifestyle choice such as homosexuality is a basic human 'civil right'? Like those rights that allow women to be on the same playing field as men and those rights afforded to minorities not to be discriminated against? I disagree.


Yes it is a basic human right,a basic civil right. I have the god given right to exist just as you do. I also have the god given right to marry the man I want to marry just as you should have the right to marry the woman you want. If I want to join the military and get blown up for my country then goddamnit I should have that right. If I want to adopt, that right should be afforded to me. What is it about a homosexual that makes their rights less equal to a heterosexual man's rights? Please explain how and why homosexuality is not a basic human civil right, or how it is not comparable to either of those. Please write a nice, long, eloquent answer. Because I don't want to just read "Well they're not." Because that is bullshit , and you know it. If you can't answer it, then you shouldn't have posted in this thread in the first place. If you've nothing intelligent to add to the discussion except "Well they're not." without explaining why, then your posting was pointless.
PaperAlchemist is offline  
Old December 7th, 2011, 05:29 AM   #4
Eyes Wide Open
 
waitingtables's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 44,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaaman View Post
A lifestyle choice such as homosexuality is a basic human 'civil right'? Like those rights that allow women to be on the same playing field as men and those rights afforded to minorities not to be discriminated against? I disagree.


How is your heterosexual lifestyle choice going for you? Your argument requires reciprocity. If being gay is a choice, then so is not being gay. Now, I know from my own sexual orientation that I didn't choose to be attracted to men, it is just how I am. If you think that you chose to be heterosexual, I'm afraid that means that you probably aren't. Seriously. Your argument fails on the merits, and your presumptive opinion when based on absolutely nothing except your own musings, is worthless and ill informed. Being yourself and choosing your mate is absolutely a fundamental human right, as long as your choice of mate is an adult, consenting one.
waitingtables is offline  
Old December 7th, 2011, 07:04 AM   #5
Banned
 
garysher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtables View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaaman' timestamp='1323249742' post='371395

A lifestyle choice such as homosexuality is a basic human 'civil right'? Like those rights that allow women to be on the same playing field as men and those rights afforded to minorities not to be discriminated against? I disagree.


How is your heterosexual lifestyle choice going for you? Your argument requires reciprocity. If being gay is a choice, then so is not being gay.


How on earth do you arrive at that ridiculous conclusion?



Do you need to choose to breathe or to chew with your teeth?



Heterosexuality is the natural purpose of the human sex drive, homosexuality is a deviant behavioural choice. It's not complicated
garysher is offline  
Old December 7th, 2011, 07:31 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
PaperAlchemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtables View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaaman' timestamp='1323249742' post='371395

A lifestyle choice such as homosexuality is a basic human 'civil right'? Like those rights that allow women to be on the same playing field as men and those rights afforded to minorities not to be discriminated against? I disagree.


How is your heterosexual lifestyle choice going for you? Your argument requires reciprocity. If being gay is a choice, then so is not being gay. Now, I know from my own sexual orientation that I didn't choose to be attracted to men, it is just how I am. If you think that you chose to be heterosexual, I'm afraid that means that you probably aren't. Seriously. Your argument fails on the merits, and your presumptive opinion when based on absolutely nothing except your own musings, is worthless and ill informed. Being yourself and choosing your mate is absolutely a fundamental human right, as long as your choice of mate is an adult, consenting one.


They say gays choose to be gay. By their logic all gay men use to be straight. So all straight men can choose to love having sex with men. So they're choosing to be heterosexual. How is it the sword never cuts on both ends with these people?
PaperAlchemist is offline  
Old December 7th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #7
Mom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 269
This is about HUMAN RIGHTS not about how you feel about homosexuals.



Again, I am not a GAY rights activist. I am a HUMAN rights activist.
Mom is offline  
Old December 7th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
tristanrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 23,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperAlchemist View Post
They say gays choose to be gay. By their logic all gay men use to be straight. So all straight men can choose to love having sex with men. So they're choosing to be heterosexual. How is it the sword never cuts on both ends with these people?


Because that would require honesty and logic.
tristanrobin is offline  
Old December 7th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
tristanrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 23,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaaman View Post
A lifestyle choice such as homosexuality is a basic human 'civil right'? Like those rights that allow women to be on the same playing field as men and those rights afforded to minorities not to be discriminated against? I disagree.


You can disagree - but you're be morally and ethically wrong.



AGAIN



But you're in fine company - Rick Santorum and Rick Perry agree with you. They think it's DREADFUL that America is going interfere with gay people being executed.
tristanrobin is offline  
Old December 7th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
jaaaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas
Posts: 1,682
I have never stated I want gay people to be executed. Again, you are unclear about my position.
jaaaman is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Civil Rights > Gay and Lesbian Rights

Tags
clinton, gay, human, obama, promote, rights, world



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Christianity, Democracy, And Human Rights Slippery Fish Christianity 45 January 23rd, 2013 09:40 AM
On Human Rights, Obama's All Talk, Critics Say npr Current Events 0 February 2nd, 2011 08:03 PM
Secretary Clinton reports the US to the UN for human rights violations Zack Political Talk 88 September 19th, 2010 04:09 PM
Abortion Does Not Violate Human Rights tadpole256 Abortion 350 June 17th, 2006 04:52 AM
Minutemen: 0, Human Rights: 1 Mischa Immigration 1 November 24th, 2005 11:50 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.