Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Civil Rights > Gay and Lesbian Rights

Gay and Lesbian Rights Gay and Lesbian Political Rights Forum - For topics and discussions about LGBT


Thanks Tree13Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2015, 09:34 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
tristanrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 22,473
The Episcopal Church Now Allows Same-Sex Weddings

Episcopalians Vote To Celebrate Gay Marriage In Churches

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The Episcopal Church has completed its embrace of gay rights, changing church law to allow same-sex religious marriages throughout the denomination, just days after the U.S. Supreme Court legalized gay marriage nationwide.

The new policy won overwhelming approval from the top Episcopal legislative body Wednesday, following decades of debate and conflict. It came 12 years after the denomination blazed a trail by electing the first openly gay bishop.

"To finally get to this day is an incredible moment," said the Rev. Cynthia Black, of Morristown, New Jersey, a lesbian who has been campaigning for gay acceptance for years. "It is the beginning. It is not the end. There will still be people excluded, but at least we've gotten to this point."

The vote came in Salt Lake City at the Episcopal General Convention. Many dioceses in the New York-based church of nearly 1.9 million members already had been allowing their priests to perform civil same-sex weddings, using a trial prayer service to bless the couple. Still, the church hadn't changed its own laws on marriage until Wednesday.

The new law eliminates gender-specific language on marriage so same-sex couples could have religious weddings. Instead of "husband" and "wife," for example, the new church law will refer to "the couple." Clergy can decline to perform the ceremonies.

The changes were approved 173-27 by the House of Deputies, a voting body of clergy and lay people. The deputies also approved a gender-neutral prayer service for marriage on a 184-23 vote. The House of Bishops had given authorization for both measures a day earlier.

so much for the fear of churches being 'forced' to perform same sex marriages
Thanks from catus felis, Camelot and LongWinded
tristanrobin is offline  
Old July 14th, 2015, 09:52 AM   #2
Talent on loan from god
 
Camelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 25,549
You mean to tell me that the government didn't have to "force" them to do so ?
Thanks from LongWinded
Camelot is offline  
Old July 14th, 2015, 01:56 PM   #3
Your Own Moderator
 
pensacola_niceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 31,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanrobin View Post
Episcopalians Vote To Celebrate Gay Marriage In Churches

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The Episcopal Church has completed its embrace of gay rights, changing church law to allow same-sex religious marriages throughout the denomination, just days after the U.S. Supreme Court legalized gay marriage nationwide.

The new policy won overwhelming approval from the top Episcopal legislative body Wednesday, following decades of debate and conflict. It came 12 years after the denomination blazed a trail by electing the first openly gay bishop.

"To finally get to this day is an incredible moment," said the Rev. Cynthia Black, of Morristown, New Jersey, a lesbian who has been campaigning for gay acceptance for years. "It is the beginning. It is not the end. There will still be people excluded, but at least we've gotten to this point."

The vote came in Salt Lake City at the Episcopal General Convention. Many dioceses in the New York-based church of nearly 1.9 million members already had been allowing their priests to perform civil same-sex weddings, using a trial prayer service to bless the couple. Still, the church hadn't changed its own laws on marriage until Wednesday.

The new law eliminates gender-specific language on marriage so same-sex couples could have religious weddings. Instead of "husband" and "wife," for example, the new church law will refer to "the couple." Clergy can decline to perform the ceremonies.

The changes were approved 173-27 by the House of Deputies, a voting body of clergy and lay people. The deputies also approved a gender-neutral prayer service for marriage on a 184-23 vote. The House of Bishops had given authorization for both measures a day earlier.

so much for the fear of churches being 'forced' to perform same sex marriages
They were forced to do this by militant gay gang members.
Thanks from Sabcat
pensacola_niceman is offline  
Old July 14th, 2015, 04:06 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
LongWinded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 11,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanrobin View Post
Episcopalians Vote To Celebrate Gay Marriage In Churches

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The Episcopal Church has completed its embrace of gay rights, changing church law to allow same-sex religious marriages throughout the denomination, just days after the U.S. Supreme Court legalized gay marriage nationwide.

The new policy won overwhelming approval from the top Episcopal legislative body Wednesday, following decades of debate and conflict. It came 12 years after the denomination blazed a trail by electing the first openly gay bishop.

"To finally get to this day is an incredible moment," said the Rev. Cynthia Black, of Morristown, New Jersey, a lesbian who has been campaigning for gay acceptance for years. "It is the beginning. It is not the end. There will still be people excluded, but at least we've gotten to this point."

The vote came in Salt Lake City at the Episcopal General Convention. Many dioceses in the New York-based church of nearly 1.9 million members already had been allowing their priests to perform civil same-sex weddings, using a trial prayer service to bless the couple. Still, the church hadn't changed its own laws on marriage until Wednesday.

The new law eliminates gender-specific language on marriage so same-sex couples could have religious weddings. Instead of "husband" and "wife," for example, the new church law will refer to "the couple." Clergy can decline to perform the ceremonies.

The changes were approved 173-27 by the House of Deputies, a voting body of clergy and lay people. The deputies also approved a gender-neutral prayer service for marriage on a 184-23 vote. The House of Bishops had given authorization for both measures a day earlier.

so much for the fear of churches being 'forced' to perform same sex marriages
Seems as though the pendulum is swinging in religion, as well. I see a ground swell of Christians not tolerating the Reconstruction political cult anymore.
LongWinded is offline  
Old July 14th, 2015, 05:22 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA TN
Posts: 10,312
what's going to happen when most churches refuse to perform the ceremonies. are the gay couples going to sue for emotional distress and get a $135,000 honeymoon?
kbear is offline  
Old July 14th, 2015, 05:32 PM   #6
M(A)GA
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 23,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensacola_niceman View Post
They were forced to do this by militant gay gang members.
The cast of grease?
Sabcat is offline  
Old July 14th, 2015, 05:36 PM   #7
M(A)GA
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 23,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbear View Post
what's going to happen when most churches refuse to perform the ceremonies. are the gay couples going to sue for emotional distress and get a $135,000 honeymoon?
I had to go thru some goofy class before the church would let us get married there. I think the church can still pick and choose (rightfully so) who gets married in our building. Now if they would just pay taxes on it
Sabcat is offline  
Old July 14th, 2015, 05:44 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 9,551
There are Episcopal congregations that have split around here, with the people leaving going to the Anglican Church, churches under the umbrella of a strictly anti-gay African Bishop.
This has been going on since Gene Robinson became their first openly gay Bishop.

But in England there is some kind of suit to force the Anglican Church to perform gay weddings, since in England the Anglican Church is a part of the government.

SO the whole could come full circle in fairly short order, the question about those who are fleeing Holy Gayness is, what hate cult do they join next?
goober is offline  
Old July 14th, 2015, 05:53 PM   #9
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 27,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
There are Episcopal congregations that have split around here, with the people leaving going to the Anglican Church, churches under the umbrella of a strictly anti-gay African Bishop.
This has been going on since Gene Robinson became their first openly gay Bishop.

But in England there is some kind of suit to force the Anglican Church to perform gay weddings, since in England the Anglican Church is a part of the government.

SO the whole could come full circle in fairly short order, the question about those who are fleeing Holy Gayness is, what hate cult do they join next?
World-wide, the Anglican church is split. The Church of England recently ordained the first lesbian bishop. Libby Lane Made Bishop Of Stockport, First Bishop In Church Of England

In Canada, some large parishes if that's what Anglicans call them, have had acrimonious splits and there are several legal battles as to which splinter group retains ownership of the churches. It's been out of the news for some months now so I don't know how that all turned out.
RNG is offline  
Old July 15th, 2015, 04:17 PM   #10
MQ-1 warrior drone
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ragnarök
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanrobin View Post
Episcopalians Vote To Celebrate Gay Marriage In Churches

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The Episcopal Church has completed its embrace of gay rights, changing church law to allow same-sex religious marriages throughout the denomination, just days after the U.S. Supreme Court legalized gay marriage nationwide.

The new policy won overwhelming approval from the top Episcopal legislative body Wednesday, following decades of debate and conflict. It came 12 years after the denomination blazed a trail by electing the first openly gay bishop.

"To finally get to this day is an incredible moment," said the Rev. Cynthia Black, of Morristown, New Jersey, a lesbian who has been campaigning for gay acceptance for years. "It is the beginning. It is not the end. There will still be people excluded, but at least we've gotten to this point."

The vote came in Salt Lake City at the Episcopal General Convention. Many dioceses in the New York-based church of nearly 1.9 million members already had been allowing their priests to perform civil same-sex weddings, using a trial prayer service to bless the couple. Still, the church hadn't changed its own laws on marriage until Wednesday.

The new law eliminates gender-specific language on marriage so same-sex couples could have religious weddings. Instead of "husband" and "wife," for example, the new church law will refer to "the couple." Clergy can decline to perform the ceremonies.

The changes were approved 173-27 by the House of Deputies, a voting body of clergy and lay people. The deputies also approved a gender-neutral prayer service for marriage on a 184-23 vote. The House of Bishops had given authorization for both measures a day earlier.

so much for the fear of churches being 'forced' to perform same sex marriages

This is big mistake by the church. Marriage is between a man and woman

.
Carlsson is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Civil Rights > Gay and Lesbian Rights

Tags
church, episcopal, samesex, weddings



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U.S. Episcopal Church Set to Approve Blessing Gay Marriages tristanrobin Gay and Lesbian Rights 13 July 10th, 2012 08:20 PM
Denmark passes SSM, including church weddings skrekk Gay and Lesbian Rights 17 June 9th, 2012 11:09 AM
Episcopal church in LA to ordain 2nd gay bishop highway80west Religion 20 May 16th, 2010 06:00 PM
Episcopal diocese splits from national church Cubbie Religion 34 November 14th, 2008 07:21 AM
Conservative Diocese to Split From Episcopal Church Cubbie Conservatism 4 October 6th, 2008 11:57 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.