Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Civil Rights > Gay and Lesbian Rights

Gay and Lesbian Rights Gay and Lesbian Political Rights Forum - For topics and discussions about LGBT


Thanks Tree494Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 28th, 2015, 02:03 PM   #51
Spud
 
foundit66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 5,934
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by caconservative View Post
Why yes? Because some group tells you, you don't have the necessary training to recognize a person with mental health problems? That's absurd.
Are you hard of hearing?

The problem is how do you define mental health in the first place.
For people who are making up their own definition ...
... or defining "mental health" based on what they view as acceptable norms ...
Then it's a fool's assessment.

The HONEST assessment would be to admit "Transgenders are not what I consider as an acceptable or normal".
But that does NOT make something a "mental illness".


Quote:
Originally Posted by caconservative View Post
So you automatically assume, we who do not have degrees in any of those areas are ignorant of the subject? If that be the case, maybe you shouldn't post any remarks...about anything. DUUUUUHHHH!
Can you demonstrate knowledge on the subject of what constitutes a mental illness?

Cause what you just said is an obvious bluff.
The first question is how do you define mental illness?
Can you answer that question?


Quote:
Originally Posted by caconservative View Post
When any medical issue is out of the norm, it doesn't take a doctor to tell you something is wrong. If it does, your a moron.
I always have to chuckle when people who don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" try to accuse others of mental defect.

Are you seriously trying to proclaim "medical issue is out of the norm" constitutes a "mental illness"?
Am I reading you right?

By that assessment, being left-handed is a mental illness.
And you're proving my point. You're trying to proclaim "mental illness" based on your SUBJECTIVE PREJUDICES instead of objective facts.

Last edited by foundit66; August 28th, 2015 at 02:05 PM.
foundit66 is offline  
Old August 28th, 2015, 03:12 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 21,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by caconservative View Post
You started the argument. Apparently you don't like the direction it moving in. Having a doctorate degree is NOT a prerequisite in determining the mental health of an individual.
You have personal opinions, a qualified doctor in the field has a diagnoses and a treatment plan.
It's that simple.

"That ol' boy is fucked up in the head" is NOT a diagnoses, no matter what you say.
Thanks from tristanrobin
Hollywood is offline  
Old August 29th, 2015, 05:13 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gamma Solaris
Posts: 22,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwolfe35 View Post
And your psychology degree is from.....?
You make the call...either it is...or isn't...mental illness to change what you have come to believe is the other sex...by an operation.

Do you need a psychology degree to figure it out? I'm no marine biologist...but I always decide to get out of the water when a Great White is looking for Italian food.
Tony is offline  
Old August 29th, 2015, 05:15 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gamma Solaris
Posts: 22,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
Are you hard of hearing?

The problem is how do you define mental health in the first place.
For people who are making up their own definition ...
... or defining "mental health" based on what they view as acceptable norms ...
Then it's a fool's assessment.

The HONEST assessment would be to admit "Transgenders are not what I consider as an acceptable or normal".
But that does NOT make something a "mental illness".



Can you demonstrate knowledge on the subject of what constitutes a mental illness?

Cause what you just said is an obvious bluff.
The first question is how do you define mental illness?
Can you answer that question?



I always have to chuckle when people who don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" try to accuse others of mental defect.

Are you seriously trying to proclaim "medical issue is out of the norm" constitutes a "mental illness"?
Am I reading you right?

By that assessment, being left-handed is a mental illness.
And you're proving my point. You're trying to proclaim "mental illness" based on your SUBJECTIVE PREJUDICES instead of objective facts.
In this case...yeah.

"The HONEST assessment would be to admit "Transgenders are not what I consider as an acceptable or normal".
But that does NOT make something a "mental illness". '

No. This is totally normal.
Tony is offline  
Old August 30th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
hot dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: australia
Posts: 9,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by caconservative View Post
Assume all you want. When any medical issue is out of the norm, it doesn't take a doctor to tell you something is wrong. If it does, your a moron.
true.

Quote:
It may take a specialist to pinpoint the problem
bingo. the problem is not a mental one. the brain is fine. the problem is that bad things happened to their body in utero. the solution is to rectify that failure of embryological development.
hot dragon is offline  
Old August 30th, 2015, 06:32 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
hot dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: australia
Posts: 9,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by coke View Post
I have this to say then I am done.
We would not question the fact that someone sitting around cutting on themselves is in need of help. Now for argument sake there will be someone on here say oh no, that's ok that is their choice. To which I say bullshit. We, as a public, have no problem with identifying certain people as having a mental problem and coercing them to get help. Attempted suicide, cutting and self mutilation, hell we even get excited when people we know go into a state of not talking and withdrawing. Lets not even get into how many of us identify family members with drinking problem or drug problems. But, when someone decides they want to go have their sex organs removed by a doctor we immediately jump on the politically correct band wagon and say that's their choice and its perfectly normal. Hells bells half this thread has been about questioning what is normal. I say lets take that to the hilt. Addicts, depressed people, teen cutters, no more treatment I say. Lets just say its normal for them to do that and leave it alone. Makes perfect sense to me.

Transgender Suicide Attempt Rates Are Staggering
have you actually read anything i have posted?
hot dragon is offline  
Old August 30th, 2015, 06:53 PM   #57
Spud
 
foundit66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 5,934
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
In this case...yeah.
And therein lies the problem.
People keep wanting to pick and choose which prejudice of theirs reaches a level that constitutes "in this case".

Some people need to wrap their head around the fact that just because they don't understand something and/or just because something is not normal does not make it a mental illness.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
"The HONEST assessment would be to admit "Transgenders are not what I consider as an acceptable or normal".
But that does NOT make something a "mental illness". '
No. This is totally normal.
I assume you're being sarcastic.

Just because something is not normal does not make it a mental illness.
I'll readily admit transgenderism is not normal.
Neither is being left-handed, being a genius, or having mental retardation.

What is interesting is how some people seem to need to have their prejudice justified with a label of "mental illness".
Why not just admit it's not normal and you don't like it?

Some people could label belief in an imaginary friend (or god) as a mental illness...

Adding on, one thing that annoys me about the attempt to throw on the label of "mental illness" is that people who do so often don't truly want to treat the person as if they are truly ill.
If somebody has a cold, do you blame them for being congested?
Do you think it's their fault that they have a cold?
No. They are ill. It's something that they can't help and the focus should be on understanding the problem and helping the person get better.
But with too many like in the situation of transgender and "mental illness", the person themselves is often the target. Which is a stupid way to look at a disease.
There is no attempt to understand it. There is no attempt to help it for those people who too easily want to assign that label.
Thanks from catus felis

Last edited by foundit66; August 30th, 2015 at 06:56 PM.
foundit66 is offline  
Old August 30th, 2015, 07:10 PM   #58
Banned
 
coke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: nunya
Posts: 12,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot dragon View Post
have you actually read anything i have posted?
Yeah I did. It was nice and all. It was a wonderful ostrich approach. 10 transgender humans in a line. Pick 4. Those 4 are dead due to suicide. That is a reality. Not a theory. When does 40% suicide rate become normal? Or when did it become normal? When did suicide not become associated with a mental illness?
coke is offline  
Old August 30th, 2015, 07:34 PM   #59
Spud
 
foundit66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 5,934
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by coke View Post
Yeah I did. It was nice and all. It was a wonderful ostrich approach. 10 transgender humans in a line. Pick 4. Those 4 are dead due to suicide. That is a reality. Not a theory. When does 40% suicide rate become normal?
Nobody said suicide was normal.
If I show that dentistry has a much higher rate of suicide, does that make dentristry a mental illness?

How about veteran suicide?
Can we call military service to be a mental illness too?


Quote:
Originally Posted by coke View Post
Or when did it become normal? When did suicide not become associated with a mental illness?
Apply your questions to the above two situations.
Thanks from catus felis and Hollywood
foundit66 is offline  
Old August 30th, 2015, 08:00 PM   #60
Banned
 
coke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: nunya
Posts: 12,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
Nobody said suicide was normal.
If I show that dentistry has a much higher rate of suicide, does that make dentristry a mental illness?

How about veteran suicide?
Can we call military service to be a mental illness too?



Apply your questions to the above two situations.
Quote:
How about veteran suicide?
Can we call military service to be a mental illness too?
Of course we can treat that. Wait we do its called Post Traumatic Stress. Veterans have been and our being treated for it. That means certain activities you engaged in while in military service may have led to a mental illness. Is the suicide rate of former military personnel 4 out of 10? No its not? Ok next ostrich move.

Quote:
If I show that dentistry has a much higher rate of suicide, does that make dentristry a mental illness?
I don't know. Do 4 out of every 10 dentists kill themselves? Ostrich still aint gonna fly
coke is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Civil Rights > Gay and Lesbian Rights

Tags
mentally, transgenders, treat



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If Transgenders are OK, are Transracials? RNG Current Events 12 June 13th, 2015 06:21 AM
Feinstein say all veterans are mentally ill. pana8 Current Events 17 January 30th, 2014 06:56 AM
Is Nancy Pelosi Mentally Ill? Tony Perkins Politicians 25 January 23rd, 2012 04:18 PM
The Rancher And The Mentally Challenged Guy Radicalcentrist Conservatism 2 November 16th, 2011 11:53 AM
Dadt No More, Now Transgenders Say No More! gulfwar_veteran Current Events 282 October 12th, 2011 09:45 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.