Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Civil Rights > Gay and Lesbian Rights

Gay and Lesbian Rights Gay and Lesbian Political Rights Forum - For topics and discussions about LGBT


Thanks Tree12Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2015, 04:53 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Nwolfe35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 15,831
So much for it being a "choice"

Study: DNA test can predict whether you are gay

Science once again proving religion wrong.
Thanks from LongWinded
Nwolfe35 is offline  
Old October 11th, 2015, 04:57 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 38,895
Nothing to do with religions and they cannot predict: "UCLA scientists think they've developed..."
Jimmyb is offline  
Old October 11th, 2015, 05:03 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Franklin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwolfe35 View Post
Science once again proving religion wrong.
Not my religion. My religion is fully compatible with science. Yours, atheism, is not.
Franklin is offline  
Old October 11th, 2015, 05:11 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Nwolfe35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 15,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
Not my religion. My religion is fully compatible with science. Yours, atheism, is not.
NO religion is "compatible" with science since religion depends on blind faith and science rejects blind faith.

There may be points where a religion and science agree on something but that does not make them "compatible"
Nwolfe35 is offline  
Old October 11th, 2015, 05:32 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Asimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwolfe35 View Post
NO religion is "compatible" with science since religion depends on blind faith and science rejects blind faith.There may be points where a religion and science agree on something but that does not make them "compatible"
Darn it! I wish someone had bothered to explain that to Isaac Newton. I don't think he was aware of it. Neither was Galileo... or Copernicus... or... somebody of the 21 century? Francis Collins, MD, PhD from UNC, for starters. Here's a little blurb on his credentials.

Before being appointed Director of the National Institute of Health, Collins led the Human Genome Project as director of the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI), one of the 27 institutes and centers at NIH. He is elected to the Institute of Medicine and the National Academy of Sciences, and has received the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the National Medal of Science.

But I'm sure since he is a man of faith who believes "religion" is compatible with science, he must be complete idiot... like the other guys I mentioned.
Asimov is offline  
Old October 11th, 2015, 05:34 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Asimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwolfe35 View Post
Study: DNA test can predict whether you are gay

Science once again proving religion wrong.
From the same article: A skeptical molecular geneticist said such tests are prone to false positives due to "spurious associations that are down to sheer chance," reports New Scientist. Another added that it needs to be replicated "on larger samples in order to know how good it is, but in theory it's quite interesting."

In other words, it proves nothing.
Asimov is offline  
Old October 11th, 2015, 05:37 PM   #7
Immaculate Devine
 
Todesengel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwolfe35 View Post
NO religion is "compatible" with science since religion depends on blind faith and science rejects blind faith.
Accept for Odinism of course.
Todesengel is offline  
Old October 11th, 2015, 07:49 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Endtherepublic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: earth
Posts: 699
The gay marriage movement has been a example of how a social movement can bring about change. It was a test. It will be pale compared to the social movement that a socialist like Bernie Sanders will bring us.
Endtherepublic is offline  
Old October 12th, 2015, 03:38 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 10,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimov View Post
Darn it! I wish someone had bothered to explain that to Isaac Newton. I don't think he was aware of it. Neither was Galileo... or Copernicus... or... somebody of the 21 century? Francis Collins, MD, PhD from UNC, for starters. Here's a little blurb on his credentials.

Before being appointed Director of the National Institute of Health, Collins led the Human Genome Project as director of the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI), one of the 27 institutes and centers at NIH. He is elected to the Institute of Medicine and the National Academy of Sciences, and has received the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the National Medal of Science.

But I'm sure since he is a man of faith who believes "religion" is compatible with science, he must be complete idiot... like the other guys I mentioned.
For mythology to work, it must be in agreement with the science of the day.
Just because an individual subscribes to a mythology, doesn't mean it works.
Mythology has to be generally accepted to have power.
Mythology doesn't have to be true, it usually isn't, but it has to be generally accepted to have any power. That is why the old myths are losing their power in advanced countries.
goober is offline  
Old October 12th, 2015, 03:49 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Asimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
For mythology to work, it must be in agreement with the science of the day.
Just because an individual subscribes to a mythology, doesn't mean it works.
Mythology has to be generally accepted to have power.
Mythology doesn't have to be true, it usually isn't, but it has to be generally accepted to have any power. That is why the old myths are losing their power in advanced countries.
If you say so, it MUST be true. Can you document that assertion?
Asimov is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Civil Rights > Gay and Lesbian Rights

Tags
choice



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Conservative Group Blasts the Pope: "Paganism" Has "Entered the Church" LongWinded Current Events 8 September 29th, 2015 04:00 PM
School "Choice" Created an Industry of Corruption and Chaos LongWinded Current Events 6 September 10th, 2015 03:48 PM
"The Ringworm Children" (translated in Hebrew as "100000 Rays") intangible child World History 3 May 24th, 2015 06:26 AM
Up-Coming Event: "Kid" Obama To WHUP "conservative"-Butt!!! Medicine Man Current Events 3 July 30th, 2014 10:23 PM
"Farmers' Almanac" predicts a "bitterly cold" winter Uncle Han Current Events 0 August 27th, 2013 04:56 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.