Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Civil Rights > Gay and Lesbian Rights

Gay and Lesbian Rights Gay and Lesbian Political Rights Forum - For topics and discussions about LGBT


Thanks Tree41Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 7th, 2017, 05:20 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
BubbaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 6,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimov View Post
Once my wife and I were participating in a small group at an evangelical church. We were discussing conflict resolution within the Christian community. I raised the question: "What will you do if a gay couple shows up wanting to visit this church? How would you respond?"

The group leader took the opportunity to remind me that "homosexuality is a sin."
I said, "So is unkindness; now answer the question. What would you do?"
He said, "Well... yeah... I guess you're right. I'd have to let them in. But... the thought of them sitting in my church hugging and kissing one another... eeeeew! It would give me the willies."

My first thought was: If two people are "hugging and kissing" during a church service, except at a wedding, what difference would it make? That kind of public behavior in a closed meeting is inappropriate, overboard and impolite for anyone. Get a room.

My second thought was: Sadly you don't really know anything about these people if that is your only concept of what it means to be gay.

My third thought was: If that is your only pervasive thought to the point that you couldn't get anything else out of the service, then it seems to me that you're the one with the problem.

I didn't verbalize any of these thoughts because I didn't want to derail the whole group meeting by going down a rabbit hole with this guy. But my wife and I didn't stay much longer in that church.
And there it is right there !!! That is where the vast majority of people go in their heads. They are completely hung up on the mechanics of the SEX !!! And can't see that they are just people, and that their relationships are emotionally no different than straight relationships. I would think ANY serious pda in a church would be inappropriate. Why would they think a gay couple, interested in attending church, would act in such a manner ??

There's a movie called Torch Song Trilogy. One of the main characters is murdered in a gay bashing. The partner is having an argument with his mother, (the acting is phenomenal) and at some point, the mother FINALLY realizes that her son is going through the EXACT SAME EMOTIONS that she went through when her husband died. That is WASN'T just about sex.
Thanks from catus felis and Asimov
BubbaJones is offline  
Old September 7th, 2017, 05:25 PM   #32
I'm debt free
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 34,645
Quote:
"What will you do if a gay couple shows up wanting to visit this church? How would you respond?"
I would kindly Greet them, Church is for Sinners like them and Myself (how can I say my sins are any better than their sins).
Thanks from tristanrobin and imaginethat
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Old September 7th, 2017, 06:28 PM   #33
M(A)GA
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 23,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimov View Post
Once my wife and I were participating in a small group at an evangelical church. We were discussing conflict resolution within the Christian community. I raised the question: "What will you do if a gay couple shows up wanting to visit this church? How would you respond?"

The group leader took the opportunity to remind me that "homosexuality is a sin."
I said, "So is unkindness; now answer the question. What would you do?"
He said, "Well... yeah... I guess you're right. I'd have to let them in. But... the thought of them sitting in my church hugging and kissing one another... eeeeew! It would give me the willies."

My first thought was: If two people are "hugging and kissing" during a church service, except at a wedding, what difference would it make? That kind of public behavior in a closed meeting is inappropriate, overboard and impolite for anyone. Get a room.

My second thought was: Sadly you don't really know anything about these people if that is your only concept of what it means to be gay.

My third thought was: If that is your only pervasive thought to the point that you couldn't get anything else out of the service, then it seems to me that you're the one with the problem.

I didn't verbalize any of these thoughts because I didn't want to derail the whole group meeting by going down a rabbit hole with this guy. But my wife and I didn't stay much longer in that church.

Something very similar happened w/ us ( I dont go to church but my wife and kids do) after the Lutheran split over homosexuals in the clergy. They attended one of those giant churches in the suberbs w/ big screens everywhere, a band, coffee shop, store and takes credit cards for tithing. They were a major Lutheran church in the area but after that decision was made from up on high they chose to become "nondenominational". After that Irefused to allow my children to attend so they found another church. Was one of the only times I have interfered w/ their faith.
Thanks from imaginethat and Asimov
Sabcat is offline  
Old September 7th, 2017, 07:32 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 57,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
Thanks for proving my point... First response was an attack on Christians.

BubbaJones you amaze me with your timing. you are the Bigot that comes to save the day by being the Poster Child.

Since 1998 there have been ~1700 Christian Churchs burned

8 muslim Churches (4 of which were false flag burnings)

1 of the Christian Churches according to the FBI was racially motivated, the rest were RELIGIOUSLY motivated

Other than a Matthew Shepherd being murdered by Rednecks the action was not religiously motivated and a MUSLIM that shot up a bar since 1998.. violence against Homosexuals has been mostly homosexual to homosexual violence.)

So yes we are victims of violence from Bigots.
Please source your figures.
imaginethat is online now  
Old September 7th, 2017, 07:50 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 57,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
Please source your figures.
Never mind. I see you did. Thanks.
imaginethat is online now  
Old September 7th, 2017, 08:08 PM   #36
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 27,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
Never mind. I see you did. Thanks.
Did you read it? Not one link given for any of the claims. "The FBI" is almost as good as the famous unnamed sources.
RNG is offline  
Old September 7th, 2017, 08:54 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
hot dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: australia
Posts: 9,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanrobin View Post
Dear Straight Person,

I want to give you a simple example of what itís like to be gay. But Iím not going to tell you what itís like to have gay sex, or to go to a Pride March, or to wear drag, or any of those aspects of gay life you might consider exotic, and therefore representative, of our sexuality.

Instead, I want to use an everyday example that you and I are likely to have in common. I want to show you how deeply homophobia cuts into gay lives. So, Iím going to recount what itís like for me to go out for a cup of coffee in the morning.

This wonít take long:

.......
does this guy have "I'M GAY" tattooed on his forehead?

or is he saying that every person, straight and gay, can identify everyone elses sexuality with 100% accuracy. that gays always "look gay" even when they make a deliberate effort to hide it.
hot dragon is offline  
Old September 8th, 2017, 04:46 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
tristanrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 22,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot dragon View Post
does this guy have "I'M GAY" tattooed on his forehead?

or is he saying that every person, straight and gay, can identify everyone elses sexuality with 100% accuracy. that gays always "look gay" even when they make a deliberate effort to hide it.
I am lucky because I was brought up in a very accepting and liberal household - and gay people were respected and accepted long before they knew I was gay!

However, many gay people are brought up in an atmosphere of homophobic hate. MANY. It's no secret that more than half of the homeless youth on the streets of America are gay children whose parents threw them out of the house when it was discovered the child was gay. The same people hear how terrible being gay is - even 'that's so gay' is one of the worst things that a kid can say about anything.

How easy would it be to develop a mild case of paranoia, thinking that everybody was looking at you and judging you? And knowing that if you are judged lacking in heterosexuality, you are a potential victim of psychological or actual physical harm.
tristanrobin is offline  
Old September 8th, 2017, 05:59 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
Asimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanrobin View Post
I am lucky because I was brought up in a very accepting and liberal household - and gay people were respected and accepted long before they knew I was gay!

However, many gay people are brought up in an atmosphere of homophobic hate. MANY. It's no secret that more than half of the homeless youth on the streets of America are gay children whose parents threw them out of the house when it was discovered the child was gay. The same people hear how terrible being gay is - even 'that's so gay' is one of the worst things that a kid can say about anything.

How easy would it be to develop a mild case of paranoia, thinking that everybody was looking at you and judging you? And knowing that if you are judged lacking in heterosexuality, you are a potential victim of psychological or actual physical harm.
I can't say that I know how you feel, that might seem patronizing. But I get it.
Asimov is offline  
Old September 8th, 2017, 05:59 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanrobin View Post
A. I am not judged for being a Christian. Of course, I don't try to tell other people how to live their lives.

B. I grew up Jewish and am from a Jewish family. I have NEVER encountered the discrimination and bigotry as a Jew as I have as a gay person. NEVER. And unless you're a Jew or gay, don't tell me you know better than I do. Just let it go. You DON'T know.

C. Christians in this country are NOT bashed until they attempt to take over the nation, putting up their statues, symbols, and having their religious tenets codified into civil law. I'm a Christian convert - and nobody has ever bashed me for being Christian. NEVER.

However, I HAVE had Christians tell me I'm not good enough Christian and that their Christian God is bigger than my Christian God and that they know how I should live my life. The only Christian bashing I get is from CHRISTIANS.

edited to add: sanctimonious, holier than thou CHRISTIANS are the most judgmental and discriminatory people walking the earth.


How? I have explained where i find everything i say scripturally, that is my belief and not judgemental. I don't judge you you judge yourself, I showed you exactly where I see you being scripturally, i do not hate you or wish you ill. I will speak my mind without hatred, and would defend your right to be who you are, regardless of how I feel personally. I can disagree with you but will not infringe upon your right to live how you want. As a Jew how do you square yourself with God being a homosexual, I am just curious!
Sensible is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Civil Rights > Gay and Lesbian Rights

Tags
dear, person, straight



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Was the cop detaining this person? thefuturelivesinverse Civil Rights 4 May 20th, 2015 12:13 PM
fertilized egg is a person?? OKgrannie Abortion 83 January 9th, 2013 09:02 AM
Anyone know who this person is? RidinHighSpeeds Politicians 38 May 31st, 2005 05:12 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.