Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Gun Control

Gun Control Gun Control Forum - For topics and discussions about gun laws, gun policies, and gun rights


Thanks Tree129Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2016, 04:37 PM   #51
I'm debt free
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 33,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Idiotic comparison.
No it is not, it is a ratio..


You significaltly safer in ANY NATION in the world than in the US when it comes to being murdered

THE CHOICE OF WEAPON vary, but it does not matter if you are shot, stabbed, run over by a bus, etc.. YOU ARE NO LESS DEAD..


0.000015:1
0.00003:1

is just a drop in the bucket..

~4000 times a firearm was used to commit a murder

Annually 800,000-2,500,000 times a year a firearm is used to prevent a crime. (by persons OTHER than police officers)
Thanks from coke
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Old April 6th, 2016, 05:32 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 7,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
No it is not, it is a ratio..


You significaltly safer in ANY NATION in the world than in the US when it comes to being murdered

THE CHOICE OF WEAPON vary, but it does not matter if you are shot, stabbed, run over by a bus, etc.. YOU ARE NO LESS DEAD..


0.000015:1
0.00003:1

is just a drop in the bucket..

~4000 times a firearm was used to commit a murder

Annually 800,000-2,500,000 times a year a firearm is used to prevent a crime. (by persons OTHER than police officers)
Where do you get the 2,500,000 number?
Thanks from coke
goober is offline  
Old April 6th, 2016, 05:34 PM   #53
I'm debt free
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 33,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Where do you get the 2,500,000 number?
It is from 3 studies, (5 year periods each) one by University of Chicago School of Law, UCLA and FLA State.

There data was collected from the FBI uniform Crime Reports and Justice department crime reports...

What is amazing Armed citizens stop these crimes and very rarely are they forced to kill the person to prevent the crime, Many times they just run off, Give up, or wounded.
Thanks from coke

Last edited by TNVolunteer73; April 6th, 2016 at 05:36 PM.
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Old April 6th, 2016, 05:36 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA TN
Posts: 10,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
When will you learn that when you have nothing lucid or sensible to post that it would probably be better to post nothing at all?

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
okie dokie.
Thanks from coke
kbear is offline  
Old April 6th, 2016, 05:58 PM   #55
I'm debt free
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 33,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
When will you learn that when you have nothing lucid or sensible to post that it would probably be better to post nothing at all?

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
Man with Big Lizard, is a man that does not heed his own, advice.
Thanks from Sabcat
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Old April 6th, 2016, 06:10 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 15,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
Man with Big Lizard, is a man that does not heed his own, advice.
Oh now, Hank is not all that larger than the average Mexican Iguana if his age.

Actually that was a quote of Abraham Lincoln's advice that I thought appropriate to the situation.
Thanks from coke
Hollywood is offline  
Old April 6th, 2016, 06:28 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
jetson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Adelaide. South Australia.
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
Your odds of being murdered in Australia is 0.000015:1

Your odds of being murdered in the US is 0.00003

So, you are not really that much safer from murder in Oz than in the US.



You are just as dead if they kill you with a Glock as you are if they kill you with a Boomerang, or leg of lamb
if your so up with stats you should start trading. The figures you mention are to specific to be true. By the way its not nice to shove a live lamb into the trunk of your car.
Thanks from coke
jetson is offline  
Old April 6th, 2016, 06:51 PM   #58
Senior Member
 
jetson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Adelaide. South Australia.
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetson View Post
if your so up with stats you should start trading. The figures you mention are to specific to be true. By the way its not nice to shove a live lamb into the trunk of your car.
Sorry guy, I thought you was from Arabion Lebanon. Now I realize that it is a town in the US
Thanks from coke
jetson is offline  
Old April 6th, 2016, 07:17 PM   #59
Banned
 
coke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: nunya
Posts: 12,108
I just renewed my small arms and ships reaction force certificate. I learned some interesting things. I am not a CCW permit holder nor do I want to be. I do not own a handgun, nor do I want one. What I found interesting was that when I work as a Contract Mariner on government ships, I am not protected if I use my firearm. If I am assigned watch with a sidearm and I have to use that side arm in defense of my self, crew, or government property (shit the armed watch is supposed to do) I have no sovereign immunity at all. I can expect to be arrested, questioned and forced to prove my actions. Unlike a police officer or a civmar. What I found out was the average cost of legal fees for a legal self defense shooting is about 12 grand. Needless to say to get the certificate you only have to qualify with one weapon. I qualified with the rifle (it would never get issued unless we were actually at sea and being boarded) and said thats it. I refused to qualify with handgun or shotgun. It will be the last time I will ever certify in small arms again. My opinion is no contract mariner should qualify again. The government wants a armed watch go contract a security team. Fuck them. They dont have my back I dont have theirs. Bad guys want to come on board and steal. My line of defense is run and call 911. I might throw my issued gun at them after I unload it (This would be in port, on the high seas, ironically its the law that the federal government gives me sovereign immunity). The United States Government does not have my back in matters of ships security, then I do not have theirs.
Thanks from Jimmyb and Sabcat
coke is offline  
Old April 6th, 2016, 07:40 PM   #60
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 15,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by coke View Post
I just renewed my small arms and ships reaction force certificate. I learned some interesting things. I am not a CCW permit holder nor do I want to be. I do not own a handgun, nor do I want one. What I found interesting was that when I work as a Contract Mariner on government ships, I am not protected if I use my firearm. If I am assigned watch with a sidearm and I have to use that side arm in defense of my self, crew, or government property (shit the armed watch is supposed to do) I have no sovereign immunity at all. I can expect to be arrested, questioned and forced to prove my actions. Unlike a police officer or a civmar. What I found out was the average cost of legal fees for a legal self defense shooting is about 12 grand. Needless to say to get the certificate you only have to qualify with one weapon. I qualified with the rifle (it would never get issued unless we were actually at sea and being boarded) and said thats it. I refused to qualify with handgun or shotgun. It will be the last time I will ever certify in small arms again. My opinion is no contract mariner should qualify again. The government wants a armed watch go contract a security team. Fuck them. They dont have my back I dont have theirs. Bad guys want to come on board and steal. My line of defense is run and call 911. I might throw my issued gun at them after I unload it (This would be in port, on the high seas, ironically its the law that the federal government gives me sovereign immunity). The United States Government does not have my back in matters of ships security, then I do not have theirs.
Your attitude sounds reasonable to me.
Hollywood is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Gun Control

Tags
breaks, entire, family, home, intruder, lol, shot



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleveland bills Tamir Rice's family for ambulance ride after cop shot him imaginethat Current Events 18 February 12th, 2016 11:47 AM
Chapel Hill shooting: Three young Muslims gunned down in North Carolina family home LongWinded Current Events 39 February 15th, 2015 02:11 PM
Hero guard shot thwarting attack at Family Research Council HQ Bookworm Current Events 33 August 20th, 2012 11:49 PM
Police: Man Awakens To Intruder In Bed With Him Dude111 Crime and Punishment 8 April 1st, 2010 09:57 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.