Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Gun Control

Gun Control Gun Control Forum - For topics and discussions about gun laws, gun policies, and gun rights


Thanks Tree24Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 3rd, 2017, 08:12 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 56,231
House Votes To Overturn Obama Rule Restricting Gun Sales To the Severely Mentally Ill

Anything Obama - BAD!
House Votes To Overturn Obama Rule Restricting Gun Sales To the Severely Mentally Ill

On Thursday the GOP-controlled House voted to overturn an Obama administration rule designed to keep firearms out of the hands of some people deemed mentally ill.

...According to NPR's Susan Davis, the measure being blocked from implementation would have required the Social Security Administration to send records of some beneficiaries with severe mental disabilities to the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System. About 75,000 people found mentally incapable of managing their financial affairs would have been affected.

The National Rifle Association had pushed for the repeal, and Republicans argued it infringed upon Second Amendment rights by denying due process.

Supporters of the rule argued it was designed to stop mentally ill persons from getting firearms.
House Votes To Overturn Obama Rule Restricting Gun Sales To the Severely Mentally Ill : NPR
imaginethat is offline  
Old February 3rd, 2017, 08:32 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
BubbaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 6,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
Anything Obama - BAD!
House Votes To Overturn Obama Rule Restricting Gun Sales To the Severely Mentally Ill

On Thursday the GOP-controlled House voted to overturn an Obama administration rule designed to keep firearms out of the hands of some people deemed mentally ill.

...According to NPR's Susan Davis, the measure being blocked from implementation would have required the Social Security Administration to send records of some beneficiaries with severe mental disabilities to the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System. About 75,000 people found mentally incapable of managing their financial affairs would have been affected.

The National Rifle Association had pushed for the repeal, and Republicans argued it infringed upon Second Amendment rights by denying due process.

Supporters of the rule argued it was designed to stop mentally ill persons from getting firearms.
House Votes To Overturn Obama Rule Restricting Gun Sales To the Severely Mentally Ill : NPR
So at some point, somebody took a look at a person on SS and decided they were mentally unable to take care of their own finances. That's not a random or arbitrary call. SS doesn't just decide you can;t handle your affairs. There's usually a court hearing, or some sort of interview before their finances are turned over to someone else.

So where is the lack of due process ??

Now, did I pay my power bill ?? And just where in the hell did I leave that Colt .380 ??
Thanks from imaginethat
BubbaJones is offline  
Old February 3rd, 2017, 09:11 AM   #3
Banned
 
coke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: nunya
Posts: 12,580
Just how did we ever survive before such rules. LMAO
coke is offline  
Old February 3rd, 2017, 09:15 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 56,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaJones View Post
So at some point, somebody took a look at a person on SS and decided they were mentally unable to take care of their own finances. That's not a random or arbitrary call. SS doesn't just decide you can;t handle your affairs. There's usually a court hearing, or some sort of interview before their finances are turned over to someone else.

So where is the lack of due process ??

Now, did I pay my power bill ?? And just where in the hell did I leave that Colt .380 ??
And, I think it's loaded... And, I think the safety is on......... Oops it wasn't, and oops it was loaded. Sorry I killed you...........

The dead person is of no concern to coke, that's for sure. He'd be laughing his ass off.

I'm guessing that at least some of those "unable to take care of their own finances" suffer from Alzheimer's or other forms of dementia.
imaginethat is offline  
Old February 3rd, 2017, 10:26 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 19,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by coke View Post
Just how did we ever survive before such rules. LMAO
Some didn't.
Hollywood is offline  
Old February 3rd, 2017, 10:40 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 10,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
Anything Obama - BAD!
House Votes To Overturn Obama Rule Restricting Gun Sales To the Severely Mentally Ill

On Thursday the GOP-controlled House voted to overturn an Obama administration rule designed to keep firearms out of the hands of some people deemed mentally ill.

...According to NPR's Susan Davis, the measure being blocked from implementation would have required the Social Security Administration to send records of some beneficiaries with severe mental disabilities to the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System. About 75,000 people found mentally incapable of managing their financial affairs would have been affected.

The National Rifle Association had pushed for the repeal, and Republicans argued it infringed upon Second Amendment rights by denying due process.

Supporters of the rule argued it was designed to stop mentally ill persons from getting firearms.
House Votes To Overturn Obama Rule Restricting Gun Sales To the Severely Mentally Ill : NPR
Please define Severely Mentally Ill? Socialism is a severe mental disease as reported in JAMA.
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old February 3rd, 2017, 10:45 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In the mind of commie hippies
Posts: 38,895
Overturning the law is a win for due process. There was no due process to deny a class of individuals the right to purchase a firearm. Obama gave the SSA plenary power to add someone's name to the firearm national background list that would block them from purchasing a firearm with no due process.
Thanks from caconservative, excalibur and coke
Jimmyb is offline  
Old February 3rd, 2017, 11:13 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Posts: 17,231
Not long ago Liberals were all over the due process clause in the 14th Amendment, telling us that it applied in all cases. Now that there is a case in which it actually does apply, due process takes a backseat.
Thanks from Jimmyb, excalibur and coke
caconservative is offline  
Old February 3rd, 2017, 11:15 AM   #9
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 26,856
Is there not a legal hearing, ie due process before a person can be declared mentally compromised in the US?
RNG is offline  
Old February 3rd, 2017, 11:22 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In the mind of commie hippies
Posts: 38,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
Is there not a legal hearing, ie due process before a person can be declared mentally compromised in the US?
The law did not require anyone to be declared mentally compromised. The law has two criteria: could not work because of any mental disorder and unable to manage their SS benefits without help.
Thanks from coke
Jimmyb is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Gun Control

Tags
gun, house, mentally, obama, overturn, restricting, rule, sales, severely, votes



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
House Votes to Allow D.C. Employers to LongWinded Political Talk 8 May 2nd, 2015 08:39 AM
Texas Execution of a Severely Mentally Ill Man Would Be an Outrage LongWinded Current Events 47 December 6th, 2014 02:45 PM
Senate Votes 79-18 On Amendment To Overturn Citizens United skews13 Current Events 19 September 11th, 2014 06:42 PM
House Votes To Defund NPR npr Current Events 11 March 17th, 2011 07:14 PM
Man Severely Beaten for Wearing Obama Shirt tadpole256 Politicians 13 December 26th, 2008 05:49 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.