Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Gun Control

Gun Control Gun Control Forum - For topics and discussions about gun laws, gun policies, and gun rights


Thanks Tree53Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2017, 02:15 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Logres
Posts: 56
Genuine question

I ask this in all sincerity - can someone please explain to me why having guns makes society safer?

I understand that many bad guys have guns, but surely we should be aiming to de-escalate rather than engaging in an arms race? More guns in society must - by definition, lead to more accidents and - sadly - tragedies....or not?
deGanis is offline  
Old May 9th, 2017, 02:16 PM   #2
The Posters of Meh
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North Texas
Posts: 4,455
Tick.... Tock.... Tick.... Tock..... Tick....
Panther is offline  
Old May 9th, 2017, 02:17 PM   #3
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: North
Posts: 236
Accidents happen with cars, should they be banned.

Someone breaks into your home, a gun is the best defense for you and your family.
Baby Ray is offline  
Old May 9th, 2017, 02:37 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Logres
Posts: 56
But in many countries guns are heavily restricted and cannot be used to defend your family - yet they seem to get by.

I am not trying to 'press buttons' (as opposed to pull triggers) I am genuinely trying to understand
deGanis is offline  
Old May 9th, 2017, 02:59 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 16,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by deGanis View Post
But in many countries guns are heavily restricted and cannot be used to defend your family - yet they seem to get by.

I am not trying to 'press buttons' (as opposed to pull triggers) I am genuinely trying to understand
The difference between our country and others is that we as American citizens have a Constitutions right to keep and bear arms (firearms).
This can be controversial, differences in opinion as to what exactly constitutes "arms" and what constitutes "bear arms."
Thanks from roastpork
Hollywood is offline  
Old May 9th, 2017, 02:59 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 7,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Ray View Post
Accidents happen with cars, should they be banned.

Someone breaks into your home, a gun is the best defense for you and your family.
And that gun is 20 times as likely to kill you or a member of your family, than a stranger intent on doing you harm....

Enjoy
goober is offline  
Old May 9th, 2017, 03:12 PM   #7
The Posters of Meh
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North Texas
Posts: 4,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by deGanis View Post
But in many countries guns are heavily restricted and cannot be used to defend your family - yet they seem to get by.

I am not trying to 'press buttons' (as opposed to pull triggers) I am genuinely trying to understand
My perspective: it's the nature of a very diverse, populous, schizophrenic society contained in a large land mass with a foundation rooted in a rebellious cultural beliefs and competing political ideologoies of long distrust in a state that either works in people's interests, or for it's own.

Essentially, there is no way to understand this easily because there is no one who truly understand this, aside from employing flawed flame baiting stereotypes. The latter is how this discussion goes!
Thanks from imaginethat and Sabcat
Panther is offline  
Old May 9th, 2017, 06:33 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
justoneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by deGanis View Post
I ask this in all sincerity - can someone please explain to me why having guns makes society safer?

I understand that many bad guys have guns, but surely we should be aiming to de-escalate rather than engaging in an arms race? More guns in society must - by definition, lead to more accidents and - sadly - tragedies....or not?
What are you proposing. All guns are illegal to own...period?
justoneman is online now  
Old May 9th, 2017, 10:45 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Logres
Posts: 56
I am not proposing anything. As I began, I am asking a question; there is no ulterior motive. I just question - logically - how the current gun laws can make society safer.

The statistics would seem to contradict this and it would seem to my (possibly flawed) logic that the ready availability of guns while making some feel safer is actually making the country less safe and its population paranoid and fearful.
deGanis is offline  
Old May 9th, 2017, 11:06 PM   #10
The Posters of Meh
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North Texas
Posts: 4,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by deGanis View Post
I am not proposing anything. As I began, I am asking a question; there is no ulterior motive. I just question - logically - how the current gun laws can make society safer.

The statistics would seem to contradict this and it would seem to my (possibly flawed) logic that the ready availability of guns while making some feel safer is actually making the country less safe and its population paranoid and fearful.
I don't think guns are the real issue, but what I mentioned above. Again, a more homogenous, smaller and stable society with less diversity and not born out of revolution (and without a 240 year old document as a national guide) and with little to no historical gun culture has far less of an pro and con issue with it as we do.
Thanks from Sabcat
Panther is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Gun Control

Tags
genuine, question



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question for IT TNVolunteer73 Current Events 8 November 1st, 2014 06:44 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.