Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Gun Control

Gun Control Gun Control Forum - For topics and discussions about gun laws, gun policies, and gun rights


Thanks Tree61Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2018, 01:29 PM   #81
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NM
Posts: 1,770
Creeping up on the bull's-eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by justoneman View Post
So in your banning of guns it needs to be semi automatic and styled after a military automatic assault weapon. The semi automatic part is straight forward but who decides whether a weapon has the right shape? Its a pure judgement call. Who makes that call?
Nope, not style @ all. It's whether the civilian rifle is merely a semi-automatic copy of the military rifle - deleting the select fire, bayonet mounting. I don't care what shape/color/texture, nor if the thing has pearl inlays - if it's a semi-automatic copy of a military select-fire auto/semi-auto weapon, I don't think it should be on the civilian market @ all - too easy to switch out the triggering mechanism & convert it to full auto.

So there's very little judgment involved in the call - which simplifies the screening process.
hoosier88 is offline  
Old February 24th, 2018, 01:31 PM   #82
Senior Member
 
justoneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 4,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier88 View Post
Nope, not style @ all. It's whether the civilian rifle is merely a semi-automatic copy of the military rifle - deleting the select fire, bayonet mounting. I don't care what shape/color/texture, nor if the thing has pearl inlays - if it's a semi-automatic copy of a military select-fire auto/semi-auto weapon, I don't think it should be on the civilian market @ all - too easy to switch out the triggering mechanism & convert it to full auto.

So there's very little judgment involved in the call - which simplifies the screening process.
Again who decides if it is a military style semi automatic? Who?
Thanks from Sabcat
justoneman is offline  
Old February 24th, 2018, 01:37 PM   #83
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NM
Posts: 1,770
Walking in the rounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by justoneman View Post
So? Who decides if a rifle is "shaped" enough like a military macine gun? really we are not talking about the function of a machine gun but rather just the "look" of a machine gun.

Who decides what rifle looks a certain way?
It's not about shape @ all. It's about a civilian semi-automatic rifle which is merely a semi-auto copy of a military rifle.

& US machine guns are typically not man-portable, pace Rambo. Perhaps the SAW, but we're (or @ least I'm) not talking about full-on MGs. & while civilians can own a MG, that's not the weapon typically involved in school shootings nor other mass shootings. The price & licensing required for full MGs are prohibitive, as I understand it.
hoosier88 is offline  
Old February 24th, 2018, 02:01 PM   #84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NM
Posts: 1,770
Nothing but net

Quote:
Originally Posted by justoneman View Post
Again who decides if it is a military style semi automatic? Who?
If the rifle is a civilian copy of a military select-fire rifle? Who decides now - I assume it's the BATF. Isn't that who licenses MGs & other exotic weapons to civilians now?

They have the expertise, & I would expect them to rule on the question with no problems.
hoosier88 is offline  
Old February 24th, 2018, 02:05 PM   #85
Senior Member
 
justoneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 4,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier88 View Post
If the rifle is a civilian copy of a military select-fire rifle? Who decides now - I assume it's the BATF. Isn't that who licenses MGs & other exotic weapons to civilians now?

They have the expertise, & I would expect them to rule on the question with no problems.
Who is "they" that have expertise? Some board that decides on a weapon or something? I am an industrial designer and I can tell you for fact that a product can be changed by only 10% and is considered a different product. Your conceived banning is way to vague.
Thanks from Sabcat

Last edited by justoneman; February 24th, 2018 at 02:11 PM.
justoneman is offline  
Old February 24th, 2018, 03:04 PM   #86
Talent on loan from god
 
Camelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 27,345
With the right’s broad definition of the Second Amendment, why can’t I own a rocket propelled grenade launcher ?
Camelot is offline  
Old February 24th, 2018, 03:33 PM   #87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NM
Posts: 1,770
Zeroing the scope

Quote:
Originally Posted by justoneman View Post
Who is "they" that have expertise? Some board that decides on a weapon or something? I am an industrial designer and I can tell you for fact that a product can be changed by only 10% and is considered a different product. Your conceived banning is way to vague.
The BATF? See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bureau...and_Explosives

"The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF, BATFE, or ATFE) is a federal law enforcement organization within the United States Department of Justice.[4] Its responsibilities include the investigation and prevention of federal offenses involving the unlawful use, manufacture, and possession of firearms and explosives; acts of arson and bombings; and illegal trafficking of alcohol and tobacco products. The ATF also regulates via licensing the sale, possession, and transportation of firearms, ammunition, and explosives in interstate commerce."

(My emphasis - more detail @ the URL)

That's where enforcement of firearms law has rested, @ the federal level, since 1968CE.
hoosier88 is offline  
Old February 24th, 2018, 03:36 PM   #88
Put some ice on that
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 26,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier88 View Post
The BATF? See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bureau...and_Explosives

"The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF, BATFE, or ATFE) is a federal law enforcement organization within the United States Department of Justice.[4] Its responsibilities include the investigation and prevention of federal offenses involving the unlawful use, manufacture, and possession of firearms and explosives; acts of arson and bombings; and illegal trafficking of alcohol and tobacco products. The ATF also regulates via licensing the sale, possession, and transportation of firearms, ammunition, and explosives in interstate commerce."

(My emphasis - more detail @ the URL)

That's where enforcement of firearms law has rested, @ the federal level, since 1968CE.


So we are turn over our constitutional rights to unelected bureaucrats. No thanks.
Thanks from justoneman
Sabcat is online now  
Old February 24th, 2018, 03:43 PM   #89
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Web
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
With the rightís broad definition of the Second Amendment, why canít I own a rocket propelled grenade launcher ?

You'd put your eye out.
Mythbuster is offline  
Old February 24th, 2018, 04:48 PM   #90
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NM
Posts: 1,770
Well, there's bad news & then there's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
So we are turn over our constitutional rights to unelected bureaucrats. No thanks.
Yah. Federal judges are not elected either. & @ the level of the Supreme Court, all Constitutional rights are within their purview. Thus Roe v. Wade, thus various rulings on civil rights, on separate but equal, & on & on.

From the POV you're articulating, all Constitutional rights are @ least potentially in play, whenever the Supreme Court convenes.
hoosier88 is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Gun Control

Tags
ar15



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.