Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Healthcare

Healthcare Healthcare Forum - For topics and discussions about health care, health policies, and health care systems


Thanks Tree32Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2017, 09:05 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Nwolfe35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 14,071
Here is the low down on health insurance:

The insurance company sells insurance to a bunch of people. They use statistical analysis to figure out how much this group is likely to spend on health care over the next five years. They take that number, divide by five and divide that by the number of people, add a profit markup and that is your premium.

To keep premiums reasonable the insurance company must try to limit how much they pay out in claims. They either negotiate a price to lower the payout or be selective in who they allow to sign up.

If healthy people don't buy insurance then the insurance company has to raise premiums.

The ACA was going to fine people who didn't buy insurance and would subsidize those who couldn't afford it to entice more healthy people to sign up while requiring those insurance companies who participated to drop the restrictions they were using to allow less then healthy people to gain access.

It didn't work because the fines for not signing up were not heavy enough to bring in the healthy people while the insurance companies were still required to take the less than healthy people.

I have no idea how we can make health insurance affordable for the less than healthy people without also having a mechanism in place that forces healthy people to buy the insurance, because that's the only way you're going to get more people covered.
Thanks from Camelot
Nwolfe35 is offline  
Old March 24th, 2017, 09:36 AM   #22
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 20,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwolfe35 View Post
Here is the low down on health insurance:

The insurance company sells insurance to a bunch of people. They use statistical analysis to figure out how much this group is likely to spend on health care over the next five years. They take that number, divide by five and divide that by the number of people, add a profit markup and that is your premium.

To keep premiums reasonable the insurance company must try to limit how much they pay out in claims. They either negotiate a price to lower the payout or be selective in who they allow to sign up.

If healthy people don't buy insurance then the insurance company has to raise premiums.

The ACA was going to fine people who didn't buy insurance and would subsidize those who couldn't afford it to entice more healthy people to sign up while requiring those insurance companies who participated to drop the restrictions they were using to allow less then healthy people to gain access.

It didn't work because the fines for not signing up were not heavy enough to bring in the healthy people while the insurance companies were still required to take the less than healthy people.

I have no idea how we can make health insurance affordable for the less than healthy people without also having a mechanism in place that forces healthy people to buy the insurance, because that's the only way you're going to get more people covered.

You could cut off the terminally ill and senior citizens from expensive procedures covered by the base policy. Only provide care enough to keep them comfortable. Legalize euthanasia, cover and promote it. That should take a big chunk off the top.
Sabcat is offline  
Old March 24th, 2017, 11:48 AM   #23
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: LA LA Land North
Posts: 24,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
You could cut off the terminally ill and senior citizens from expensive procedures covered by the base policy. Only provide care enough to keep them comfortable. Legalize euthanasia, cover and promote it. That should take a big chunk off the top.
You do understand that you too will get old one day if you don't get trapped by a bunch of rioting Democrats don't you?

Last edited by RNG; March 24th, 2017 at 05:10 PM.
RNG is offline  
Old March 24th, 2017, 11:55 AM   #24
Banned
 
coke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: nunya
Posts: 12,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwolfe35 View Post
Here is the low down on health insurance:

The insurance company sells insurance to a bunch of people. They use statistical analysis to figure out how much this group is likely to spend on health care over the next five years. They take that number, divide by five and divide that by the number of people, add a profit markup and that is your premium.

To keep premiums reasonable the insurance company must try to limit how much they pay out in claims. They either negotiate a price to lower the payout or be selective in who they allow to sign up.

If healthy people don't buy insurance then the insurance company has to raise premiums.

The ACA was going to fine people who didn't buy insurance and would subsidize those who couldn't afford it to entice more healthy people to sign up while requiring those insurance companies who participated to drop the restrictions they were using to allow less then healthy people to gain access.

It didn't work because the fines for not signing up were not heavy enough to bring in the healthy people while the insurance companies were still required to take the less than healthy people.

I have no idea how we can make health insurance affordable for the less than healthy people without also having a mechanism in place that forces healthy people to buy the insurance, because that's the only way you're going to get more people covered.
Well, there is the good ole lets trade some more freedom for security!
coke is offline  
Old March 24th, 2017, 03:08 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwolfe35 View Post
Here is the low down on health insurance:

The insurance company sells insurance to a bunch of people. They use statistical analysis to figure out how much this group is likely to spend on health care over the next five years. They take that number, divide by five and divide that by the number of people, add a profit markup and that is your premium.

To keep premiums reasonable the insurance company must try to limit how much they pay out in claims. They either negotiate a price to lower the payout or be selective in who they allow to sign up.

If healthy people don't buy insurance then the insurance company has to raise premiums.

The ACA was going to fine people who didn't buy insurance and would subsidize those who couldn't afford it to entice more healthy people to sign up while requiring those insurance companies who participated to drop the restrictions they were using to allow less then healthy people to gain access.

It didn't work because the fines for not signing up were not heavy enough to bring in the healthy people while the insurance companies were still required to take the less than healthy people.

I have no idea how we can make health insurance affordable for the less than healthy people without also having a mechanism in place that forces healthy people to buy the insurance, because that's the only way you're going to get more people covered.

Medicare for all.....or whatever you want to call it. WE would pay for that with a new 2.2% income-based "health care premium" tax, as well as a 6.2% payroll tax paid for by employers. That adds up to a big increase—but it also means that, in exchange, Americans would save the thousands of dollars they spend every year on premiums, deductibles and other out-of-pocket health care costs.
The typical American family of four covered by an employer-sponsored health care plan paid $24,671 last year on health care costs alone. Apply it to universal healthcare for all. This can work. Change tax code. Close loop holes. Come down HARD on big pharma.
Thanks from imaginethat
Clara007 is offline  
Old March 24th, 2017, 04:53 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 53,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
You could cut off the terminally ill and senior citizens from expensive procedures covered by the base policy. Only provide care enough to keep them comfortable. Legalize euthanasia, cover and promote it. That should take a big chunk off the top.
Sab, you're standing tall for death panels!!
imaginethat is offline  
Old March 24th, 2017, 05:04 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 53,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by coke View Post
No one wants to talk about he fact that its the profits of the US market that fuels the development of the new drugs. Because state ran health care puts caps on the price of prescriptions, the US medications, like the military, gets strapped with the lions share of the cost for the world
Not exactly.....

Top 10 pharmaceutical companies in 2016
imaginethat is offline  
Old March 24th, 2017, 05:11 PM   #28
Banned
 
coke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: nunya
Posts: 12,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
I fail to see your point
coke is offline  
Old March 24th, 2017, 05:15 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 7,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by coke View Post
No one wants to talk about he fact that its the profits of the US market that fuels the development of the new drugs. Because state ran health care puts caps on the price of prescriptions, the US medications, like the military, gets strapped with the lions share of the cost for the world
What the drug companies spend on research is a fraction of what they spend on marketing.

If you want free markets, then allow cross border competition on drugs.
The simple fact is that a free market serves the public when there are many buyers, many sellers and near perfect knowledge of market conditions by buyers and sellers.

In markets where these conditions don't exist, like health care, the government can do a far better job than the "market", especially when the market consists of a few colluding sellers with protected monopolies.
goober is offline  
Old March 24th, 2017, 07:35 PM   #30
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 20,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
Sab, you're standing tall for death panels!!
If we are going to have socialism may as well do it right. Kill the weak to feed the strong. No reason to allocate resorces to unproductive sections of society. It is wasteful.
Thanks from coke
Sabcat is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Healthcare

Tags
insurance, obamacare, private, wrong



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swede's Getting Private Health Insurance excalibur Current Events 130 January 27th, 2014 08:39 AM
Breaking: Judge Declines To Halt Obamacare Insurance Subsidies skews13 Current Events 10 October 23rd, 2013 12:22 PM
Obamacare Will Increase Avg. Individual-Market Insurance Premiums By 99% For Men, 62% sumara Current Events 2 October 1st, 2013 04:36 PM
Will Americans Buy Insurance Under Obamacare? excalibur Current Events 3 June 3rd, 2013 08:03 PM
Why private health insurance is unhealthy. ThoughtCriminal Healthcare 6 June 25th, 2009 10:04 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.