Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Immigration

Immigration Immigration Political Forum - For topics and discussions about illegal immigrants and immigrant rights


Thanks Tree96Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2017, 10:56 PM   #61
The Token Black Guy
 
Gordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MD
Posts: 2,747
White folks only value foreigners as workers. Not even as human beings.
Thanks from tristanrobin and Clara007
Gordy is offline  
Old August 23rd, 2017, 05:03 AM   #62
Talent on loan from god
 
Camelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 25,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
I love when you guys say things like this.
Yes, facts are difficult things. We cannot grow without an expanding labor pool. We do not have a native population in order to achieve that goal. That is not my opinion, that is a statistical demographic fact. Ayn Rand would be ashamed that you cannot perform a simple Google search in the name of capitalism.
Thanks from Clara007
Camelot is offline  
Old August 23rd, 2017, 08:44 AM   #63
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,058
The farmers should hire some Mexicans to bring in the crop. Problem solved.
Thanks from Clara007
senor boogie woogie is offline  
Old August 23rd, 2017, 08:53 AM   #64
Have you seen my Iguana
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 22,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
Yes, facts are difficult things. We cannot grow without an expanding labor pool. We do not have a native population in order to achieve that goal. That is not my opinion, that is a statistical demographic fact. Ayn Rand would be ashamed that you cannot perform a simple Google search in the name of capitalism.
No, i love when you say things like that as you also say things like "we need free college because of jobs" or we need a minimum wage of $30k/yr because feelings. Or we need a tax rate over 50% because of reasons.


Yet we should import unskilled workers because why again? Because the pyramid scam that is supposed to suport the vampire generation is upside down?


As I said. You are so cute.
Sabcat is offline  
Old August 23rd, 2017, 10:45 AM   #65
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: The Truth
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
No, i love when you say things like that as you also say things like "we need free college because of jobs" or we need a minimum wage of $30k/yr because feelings. Or we need a tax rate over 50% because of reasons.


Yet we should import unskilled workers because why again? Because the pyramid scam that is supposed to suport the vampire generation is upside down?


As I said. You are so cute.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-to-trump-wall
Truther is offline  
Old August 23rd, 2017, 11:20 AM   #66
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truther View Post


Good article, but like it said there are some things that still need to be picked by hand AND how many family farms can afford $100-400K for machines??

A few years ago an article was published (and a movie) called "Imagine a day without a Mexican". It's a fable--obviously--but makes a powerful point. One day we wake up and every single illegal has disappeared: No farm workers, no cleaners, no gardners, no landscapers, no roofers, painters, or nannys. All gone.
Our economy?
*Sales tax. Like everyone in the country, every time a refugee goes to a store and buys something, they pay sales tax. They buy milk; they pay sales tax. They buy shoes; they pay sales tax. They buy a television; they pay sales tax.
*Property tax. When refugees rent -- whether it's in an apartment building, a room in a house or a house -- a portion of that rent is passed on to the landlord, who pays property tax to the state.
*Payroll Tax--yes, they pay into social security but never take the money.
AND what about their buying power?

Our unemployment rate is now 4.3% and what does that mean? The lowest this country ever had was 4.2% under LBJ. Aren't we about to the point where anyone who WANTS to work IS working??
Clara007 is offline  
Old August 23rd, 2017, 11:22 AM   #67
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 10,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
This was so predictable.

Last year marked the fifth consecutive year Santa Barbara County’s agriculture industry has struggled with labor shortages, which have ranged from 15 to 26 percent. Farmers, therefore, must leave crops to rot in the fields. An estimated $13 million of strawberries, broccoli, leafy greens, and other unharvested produce were plowed under last year, up from five years ago when losses amounted to an estimated $4.4 million, according to the region’s Grower-Shipper Association.

Strawberries are just one small piece of the labor shortage. In the last decade, according to the Pew Research Center, more Mexican immigrants have been leaving the United States than have been arriving. As Mexico’s economy improves and becomes less reliant on agriculture, Mexicans are having fewer children and “feeling less the push to migrate north,” said Lucas Zucker of CAUSE (Central Coast Alliance United for a Sustainable Economy).

Security has also tightened along the southern border. The Obama administration deported about three million undocumented immigrants between 2009 and 2016, according to Pew, many more than the two million the Bush administration deported during the eight years prior.

Labor Shortage Leaves $13 Million in Crops to Rot in Fields

AND there's more:

In the spring of 2011, Georgia’s fruit and vegetable growers faced a crippling drought. But it wasn’t for lack of rain; rather, their supply of farmworkers had dried up almost overnight. Typically, migrant pickers made their way north from Florida’s winter tomato fields into Georgia to harvest its Vidalia onions, bell peppers, and blueberries. But that year, “they just didn’t come,” says Charles Hall, executive director of the Georgia Fruit and Vegetable Growers Association. The pickers avoided the state, leaving “crops in the field rotting.”

What happened? Just after taking office that winter, Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal signed a bill that, he vowed, would “crack down on the influx of illegal immigrants into our state.” Known in civil-liberties circles as Georgia’s racial-profiling law, House Bill 87 encouraged local police officers to check the immigration status of anyone suspected of violating any regulation, including traffic rules, and imposed harsh penalties on anyone caught “harboring an illegal alien.” The governor probably didn’t intend for his signature immigration law to cost his state’s farm sector loads of cash. But his timing couldn’t have been worse.
A shortfall of 11,000 workers—representing about 85 percent of peak employment—caused $75 million in crop losses that spring alone, with a total hit to the state economy of $103.6 million that season, according to a study by the University of Georgia. Neighboring Alabama passed an even more draconian law later that year, spurring its immigrant farmworkers to exit en masse and costing the state up to 6 percent of its gross domestic product.
Now, the entire country is governed by a chief executive who vows to make life miserable for undocumented immigrants. Pursuing what might be called his “bad hombre” theory, President Donald Trump swiftly made good on promises to ramp up deportations after taking office.

Just as in Georgia, the rest of the nation’s farms lean heavily on the very group of people targeted by the president. According to the American Farm Bureau Federation, the US harvest requires between 1.5 million and 2.2 million workers annually—and at least half of them are undocumented.

Trump?s Crackdown on Immigration Is Terrible News for Anyone Who Eats Food ? Mother Jones
If you love strawberries like I do, plant your own strawberries and harvest yourself for personal use, no labor shortage if you love strawberries and the smaller the sweeter.
Thanks from Truther
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old August 23rd, 2017, 03:32 PM   #68
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Sister View Post
If you love strawberries like I do, plant your own strawberries and harvest yourself for personal use, no labor shortage if you love strawberries and the smaller the sweeter.

Well, thank you for the suggestion, Sister, but I live in the desert. Not many strawberries to be found, personal or otherwise, unless they're at Safeway.
Clara007 is offline  
Old August 23rd, 2017, 08:47 PM   #69
Senior Member
 
justoneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
White folks only value foreigners as workers. Not even as human beings.
I think "white folks" value foreigners who legally enter the country.
Thanks from webguy4
justoneman is offline  
Old August 24th, 2017, 01:23 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
roastpork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
White folks only value foreigners as workers. Not even as human beings.
Well I guess that statement proves you're not a bigot!
Thanks from caconservative and justoneman
roastpork is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Immigration

Tags
crops, fields, rotting, yep



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Michelle Fields history coke Current Events 7 March 31st, 2016 10:39 PM
Flesh-rotting 'krokodil' drug emerges in USA - USA Today intangible child Current Events 25 February 6th, 2015 08:33 PM
The killing fields … … of the evil empire intangible child Current Events 0 May 13th, 2013 03:45 PM
Don't Let Genetically Engineered Crops Take Over! Take Action! intangible child Healthcare 6 August 16th, 2010 12:21 AM
EPA: ethanol crops displaces climate-friendly ones intangible child Environment 1 May 5th, 2009 02:31 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.