Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Immigration

Immigration Immigration Political Forum - For topics and discussions about illegal immigrants and immigrant rights


Thanks Tree16Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2018, 10:58 PM   #21
#freetommy
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 27,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
Must be wonderful being YOU! If no one will talk to you, you can just talk to yourself.....and you SEEM happier that way.

Atta boy!
At least that way I'm getting an interesting response. I cannot even get a clear one from you, much less an intelligent and interesting one. Then again what should i expect from a school teacher. Maybe we. Should start a thread about finger painting and how it is a product of the patriarchy designed to keep tools out of the hands of female and minority children. Maybe that would be in your wheelhouse
Thanks from guy39, caconservative and Sensible
Sabcat is online now  
Old January 29th, 2018, 03:10 AM   #22
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Sister View Post
If the brats were born on US soil that makes them US citizens by birthright. If the brats were born on Mexican soil that makes them Mexicans by birthright.
Even if they were born to parents who were both criminal invaders? I disagree
Sensible is offline  
Old January 29th, 2018, 09:49 AM   #23
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 30,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
Even if they were born to parents who were both criminal invaders? I disagree
So you disagree with your constitution?
RNG is offline  
Old January 29th, 2018, 10:17 AM   #24
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
So you disagree with your constitution?
I suppose you are talking about the 14th amendment

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/artic...ldren-citizens

and from that



What about those who are born here?

After the Civil War, the 14th Amendment (overturning, in part, Dred Scott v. Sandford, which said that no black could be a U.S. citizen) clarified the conditions of citizenship: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the States wherein they reside."
ADVERTISING

Many today assume the second half of the citizenship clause ("subject to the jurisdiction thereof") merely refers to the day-to-day laws to which we are all subject. But the original understanding referred to political allegiance. Being subject to U.S. jurisdiction meant, as then-Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee Lyman Trumbull stated, "not owing allegiance to anybody else [but] subject to the complete jurisdiction of the United States." The author of the provision, Sen. Jacob Merritt Howard of Michigan, pointed out that the jurisdiction language "will not, of course, include foreigners."

[Read more about U.S. immigration reform.]

It was in 1898 (in United States v. Wong Kim Ark) that the Supreme Court expanded the constitutional mandate, holding that the children of legal, permanent residents were automatically citizens. While the decision could be (and is often) read more broadly, the court has never held that the clause confers automatic citizenship on the children of temporary visitors, much less of illegal residents.
Thanks from caconservative
Sensible is offline  
Old January 29th, 2018, 10:27 AM   #25
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 30,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
I suppose you are talking about the 14th amendment

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/artic...ldren-citizens

and from that



What about those who are born here?

After the Civil War, the 14th Amendment (overturning, in part, Dred Scott v. Sandford, which said that no black could be a U.S. citizen) clarified the conditions of citizenship: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the States wherein they reside."
ADVERTISING

Many today assume the second half of the citizenship clause ("subject to the jurisdiction thereof") merely refers to the day-to-day laws to which we are all subject. But the original understanding referred to political allegiance. Being subject to U.S. jurisdiction meant, as then-Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee Lyman Trumbull stated, "not owing allegiance to anybody else [but] subject to the complete jurisdiction of the United States." The author of the provision, Sen. Jacob Merritt Howard of Michigan, pointed out that the jurisdiction language "will not, of course, include foreigners."

[Read more about U.S. immigration reform.]

It was in 1898 (in United States v. Wong Kim Ark) that the Supreme Court expanded the constitutional mandate, holding that the children of legal, permanent residents were automatically citizens. While the decision could be (and is often) read more broadly, the court has never held that the clause confers automatic citizenship on the children of temporary visitors, much less of illegal residents.
And yet all these years later it still holds as law. Perhaps your post lists opinions of people who don't matter.
RNG is offline  
Old January 29th, 2018, 11:49 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: In a House
Posts: 224
This bears repeating:

Birth Certificates do not state US Birth Certificate on it. Birth Certificates are not proof of US Citizenship, neither are SS numbers, the Department of State may use them as evidence in issuing a US Passport. A birth certificate can be denied if the parent doesn't have the correct ID in order to obtain their child's BC from the local county office. Not only that but if they were born via a mid wife they can even be denied US Passports (which is actually the only proof you will ever have that you are indeed a US National/US Citizen).

https://www.law.com/texaslawyer/almI...20180016012721

https://www.aclu.org/blog/mass-incar...zens-passports

What if we say that children born to illegals can be US Nationals, but not US Citizens, they could be categorized like those from American Somoa or the Swains Islands (outlying US possessions)?

The only US documents that say children born to illegals are born US Citizens is the Foreign Affairs Manuel, section 1111(d)
https://fam.state.gov/fam/07fam/07fam1110.html

The Wong Kim Ark case never touches on birth to illegals, and Justice Gray says the 14th Citizenship clause is merely declaratory of existing law, that law being the 1866 Civil Rights Act.
TreeDoc is offline  
Old January 29th, 2018, 01:55 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Posts: 18,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
No, we're not.
The topic was what racists call "chain migration".
Aka Family Reunification.

It's when a US citizen can get preference to obtain a visa for their relatives.

It was added to immigration code to keep America White, or at least overwhelmingly European.
But Europeans lose contact with their families when they emigrate.
Asians stay in contact, there are Chinese families continueing to correspond with relatives in China after three or four generations in the US.
So Family Reunification brings in a lot of Asians, and a lot of Hispanics, as Hispanic is the fastest growing segment of the citizenry.
Why the hell should they have preference?! The choice to leave their family is theirs, NOT ours!!
Thanks from Sabcat
caconservative is offline  
Old January 29th, 2018, 01:57 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Posts: 18,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
And yet all these years later it still holds as law. Perhaps your post lists opinions of people who don't matter.
Where can we find that law?
caconservative is offline  
Old January 30th, 2018, 03:09 AM   #29
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
And yet all these years later it still holds as law. Perhaps your post lists opinions of people who don't matter.
Yes, former slaves are still citizens!

It listed you since you are a non citizen, go figure!
Sensible is offline  
Old January 30th, 2018, 10:15 AM   #30
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 30,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
Yes, former slaves are still citizens!

It listed you since you are a non citizen, go figure!
I suppose you think that post is somehow related to this thread.
RNG is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Immigration

Tags
daca, federal, shutdown



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DACA / Wall justoneman Current Events 2 January 22nd, 2018 07:29 PM
DACA and immigration will come up in goodpen Current Events 14 December 21st, 2017 10:19 AM
And the DACA side-step happens RNG Current Events 34 September 5th, 2017 06:44 PM
The truth about DACA roastpork Current Events 0 September 5th, 2017 03:29 PM
Good by DACA roastpork Current Events 0 August 31st, 2017 06:57 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.