Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Ideologies > Liberalism

Liberalism Liberalism Forum - Political Philosophy Forum


Thanks Tree11Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2015, 08:56 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Katmandu
Posts: 4,995
The next generation of US Liberals

So at this public university funded by tax dollars and made possible by the blood of our forefathers, the students show nothing by disdain for that of what they feel entitled to. I'm sure this is a result of the opinions put forth by the faculty as well.

UC Irvine Student Leadership Panel Votes To Remove American Flag From Campus Lobby « CBS Los Angeles


Authored by student Matthew Guevara, the resolution goes on to state that since “the American flag has been flown in instances of colonialism and imperialism,” its display “does not express only selective aspects of its symbolism but the entire spectrum of its interpretation.”

After citing freedom of speech as a “valued right that ASUCI supports,” the resolution states that “freedom of speech, in a space that aims to be as inclusive as possible can be interpreted as hate speech.”

A final tally ended in six votes in favor of the resolution, four opposed, and two abstaining.

R50-70

Whereas a common ideological understanding of the United states includes American exceptionalism and superiority.

Whereas the American flag is commonly flown in government public service locations, military related entities, at homes, in foreign lands where the US government has a presence.

Whereas the American flag has been flown in instances of colonialism and imperialism.

Whereas symbolism has negative and positive aspects that are interpreted differently by individuals.

Whereas displaying a flag does not express only selective aspects of its symbolism but the entire spectrum of its interpretation.
Thanks from Jimmyb and kbear
Libertine is offline  
Old March 8th, 2015, 09:43 AM   #2
Mayor of Realville
 
webguy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,990
these are evil people
Thanks from kbear
webguy4 is offline  
Old March 8th, 2015, 10:08 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA TN
Posts: 10,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
So at this public university funded by tax dollars and made possible by the blood of our forefathers, the students show nothing by disdain for that of what they feel entitled to. I'm sure this is a result of the opinions put forth by the faculty as well.

UC Irvine Student Leadership Panel Votes To Remove American Flag From Campus Lobby « CBS Los Angeles


Authored by student Matthew Guevara, the resolution goes on to state that since “the American flag has been flown in instances of colonialism and imperialism,” its display “does not express only selective aspects of its symbolism but the entire spectrum of its interpretation.”

After citing freedom of speech as a “valued right that ASUCI supports,” the resolution states that “freedom of speech, in a space that aims to be as inclusive as possible can be interpreted as hate speech.”

A final tally ended in six votes in favor of the resolution, four opposed, and two abstaining.

R50-70

Whereas a common ideological understanding of the United states includes American exceptionalism and superiority.

Whereas the American flag is commonly flown in government public service locations, military related entities, at homes, in foreign lands where the US government has a presence.

Whereas the American flag has been flown in instances of colonialism and imperialism.

Whereas symbolism has negative and positive aspects that are interpreted differently by individuals.

Whereas displaying a flag does not express only selective aspects of its symbolism but the entire spectrum of its interpretation.
a bunch of ungrateful little shitheads. their grandparents and great-grandparents etc.. would be ashamed.
if one of my girls voted to have an American flag removed from ANYwhere I would have to smack them upside their heads. actually if they did do that they would know better than to tell me..

these spoiled entitled little brats need to go live in some 3rd world shit hole for a year to see how great they have it here. I bet they would be damned grateful when they got home.
kbear is offline  
Old March 8th, 2015, 10:15 AM   #4
Talent on loan from god
 
Camelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 25,388
Currently, only a fool would think that there is anything "Exceptional" about this country.
Camelot is offline  
Old March 8th, 2015, 10:53 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 9,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
Currently, only a fool would think that there is anything "Exceptional" about this country.
I don't know, we have some exceptionally stupid voters, look at the makeup of congress....
Thanks from Camelot
goober is offline  
Old March 8th, 2015, 10:54 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Katmandu
Posts: 4,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
Currently, only a fool would think that there is anything "Exceptional" about this country.
Really? You can't think of a single thing about America that is exceptional?
Libertine is offline  
Old March 8th, 2015, 01:31 PM   #7
Talent on loan from god
 
Camelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 25,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Really? You can't think of a single thing about America that is exceptional?
So now all of a sudden you've reduced the statement in the article down to a single thing. Here's the "pluralistic" quote in your article that I was responding to;

Quote:
Whereas a common ideological understanding of the United states includes American exceptionalism and superiority
We have a country where our Legislative Branch is paralyzed due to massive inflows of special interest money. The government shut down once and came close on 3 other occasions. Americans wishing to better themselves through education are ending up with large debt loads. We prefer to spend our country's wealth invading a country under false pretenses thereby creating the situation we see now with ISIS that will cost us another fortune. We preoccupy ourselves with tax cuts for the wealthy while our infrastructure, the country's economic veins, deteriorates at an alarming rate. We allow the crooks on Wall Street to plunder this country's wealth and, instead of prison, are rewarded with bonuses. Our hospitals and pharmaceutical companies have prioritized excessive profit to the point that medical care is bankrupting the country. You can pick out some individual exceptions but, as a general proposition, there is nothing "Exceptional"about America.
Camelot is offline  
Old March 8th, 2015, 01:59 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In the mind of commie hippies
Posts: 38,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
Currently, only a fool would think that there is anything "Exceptional" about this country.
One of the exceptional components it the tolerance of anti-American people such as yourself. But that is only a contemporary thing.
Jimmyb is offline  
Old March 8th, 2015, 05:46 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
LongWinded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 11,828
Quote:
. . .

The resolution concludes with the following: “Let it be resolved that ASUCI make every effort to make the Associated Students main lobby space as inclusive as possible. Let it further be resolved that no flag, of any nation, may be hanged on the walls of the Associate Student main lobby space.”

A final tally ended in six votes in favor of the resolution, four opposed, and two abstaining.

In a message posted on the group’s Facebook page Thursday evening, ASUCI President Reza Zomorrodian voiced his opposition to the resolution and said officials have yet to decide on a course of action regarding the vote.

“I stand firmly against this piece of legislation, though I understand the authors intent and supporters intent, I disagree with the solution [the ASUCI Legislative Council] has come to,” Zomorrodian said.

. . .
See what lies you spread when you don't include the truth? I must say, you have FOX lies down pat as an art form you love using.

Quote:
Students at UC Irvine have voted for a more “inclusive space” by banning the American flag on part of the campus.
There's nothing here to indicate any of these student were liberals.

Newsmax isn't really any source with a history of being CLOSE to credible. Maybe this would have been a better source.

Statement from ASUCI President on Flag Legislation | ASUCI
LongWinded is offline  
Old March 8th, 2015, 06:03 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Katmandu
Posts: 4,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongWinded View Post
See what lies you spread when you don't include the truth? I must say, you have FOX lies down pat as an art form you love using.



There's nothing here to indicate any of these student were liberals.

Newsmax isn't really any source with a history of being CLOSE to credible. Maybe this would have been a better source.

Statement from ASUCI President on Flag Legislation | ASUCI
The sources cited were CBS news and the ASUCI legislative record.
Thanks from Jimmyb
Libertine is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Ideologies > Liberalism

Tags
generation, liberals



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are we a Cursed Generation? TNVolunteer73 Current Events 75 May 28th, 2014 09:21 AM
The "Greatest Generation"...Or, "More Manageable Generation"? Medicine Man Current Events 1 December 12th, 2013 07:14 AM
Mexico's lost generation. fxashun Crime and Punishment 2 November 13th, 2010 02:03 PM
End Time Prophecy, are we the generation? JayD Religion 76 January 19th, 2007 11:50 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.