Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Ideologies > Liberalism

Liberalism Liberalism Forum - Political Philosophy Forum


Thanks Tree15Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 15th, 2015, 07:30 AM   #1
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 21,024
Why libertarianism is so dangerous.

This guy has a good explanation of the dangers of libertarianism and why he chose to abandon the philosophy.


https://youtu.be/NbNFJK1ZpVg
Thanks from Jimmyb
Sabcat is offline  
Old December 15th, 2015, 08:19 AM   #2
Commie Exposer
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 38,787
Spot on.
Thanks from Sabcat
Jimmyb is offline  
Old December 15th, 2015, 08:28 AM   #3
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: LA LA Land North
Posts: 24,926
I will say, yet again, that classical libertarianism is not the same thing as the policies and platforms of the Libertarian Party. Those are trying to actually achieve what the typical GOPer and "conservative" pays lip service (only) to.

That system of values and proposed policies still most closely reflects my beliefs.
RNG is offline  
Old December 15th, 2015, 08:32 AM   #4
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 21,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
I will say, yet again, that classical libertarianism is not the same thing as the policies and platforms of the Libertarian Party. Those are trying to actually achieve what the typical GOPer and "conservative" pays lip service (only) to.

That system of values and proposed policies still most closely reflects my beliefs.
?
Sabcat is offline  
Old December 15th, 2015, 08:42 AM   #5
Banned
 
movingforward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 259
Shouldn't libertarians be pro gay marriage? Wouldn't they argue that it's no business of the government to be involved in marital affairs?
Thanks from Clara007
movingforward is offline  
Old December 15th, 2015, 08:53 AM   #6
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 21,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingforward View Post
Shouldn't libertarians be pro gay marriage? Wouldn't they argue that it's no business of the government to be involved in marital affairs?
Yes.

Not necessarily pro gay marriage but definitely not in favor of laws against it.
Thanks from movingforward and Clara007
Sabcat is offline  
Old December 15th, 2015, 09:23 AM   #7
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: LA LA Land North
Posts: 24,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingforward View Post
Shouldn't libertarians be pro gay marriage? Wouldn't they argue that it's no business of the government to be involved in marital affairs?
Yes. At least modern Libertarians.

The best example is Ron Paul's stance on abortion. His personal belief was pro-life but he strongly felt it was not the job of the government to interfere with what is in his opinion a personal choice that the government had no business being involved in.
Thanks from Sabcat and movingforward
RNG is offline  
Old May 27th, 2016, 11:57 AM   #8
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
This guy has a good explanation of the dangers of libertarianism and why he chose to abandon the philosophy.


https://youtu.be/NbNFJK1ZpVg
I got 1/3 of the way through. The guy started to sound like the last episode of THE WALKING DEAD.

I got the impression that he has way too much free time on his hands. Certainly he produced the right message, just the wrong ideology. He was referring to Anarchists.

Libertarians do NOT believe in ZERO government. That's just plain stupid. And it's hard to find any two libertarians that have the same view on how much government is enough.

Libertarians are probably the smartest humans on the earth and certainly the deepest thinkers. Ayn Rand was an absolute brilliant novelist, writer and philosopher, even as she was a disaster of a person.

I spent a lot of time with libertarians in the early 90s. After a while they become quite tiresome, even difficult to be around. It's one thing to hear a liberal pontificate hour after hour about a lot of irrelevant bullshit; it's quite another to hear this coming from an intelligent person. They seem to be even more judgmental than liberals.

(I heard Ludwig Von Mises, as brilliant an economist has he was, had a very short fuse)

My problem with libertarianism is their Ayn Randian believe of humanity being some kind of angelic heroic species of creature, while at the same time not wanting to impose any kind of standards on these people.
Thanks from dusara217
reason10 is offline  
Old May 27th, 2016, 12:03 PM   #9
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
Yes.

Not necessarily pro gay marriage but definitely not in favor of laws against it.
See, THIS is one fatal flaw in libertarianism. It completely ignores history and concepts like In Loca Parentis.

(The first couple of classes in Family Law delve deeply into that concept.)

Marriage laws were designed to promote families, (which are the ONLY reason why human beings aren't extinct as a species.) They were designed to prevent women and children from being kicked to the curb. That's why the state family law statutes were put into place.

Enforcing such laws IS a legitimate function of government. Protecting the nuclear family unit is perhaps the most important job of government since our entire civilization depends on it.

Same sex marriage is nothing more than a mockery of the family unit. It is an attempt for very sick individuals to force society to recognize them as normal when in fact they are NOT.

Conservatives opt for partnership agreements and the protected family. Liberals want to destroy the family. Libertarians pretend the family unit never existed, that the entire history of Mankind was GALT'S GULCH.
reason10 is offline  
Old May 27th, 2016, 12:37 PM   #10
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 21,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by reason10 View Post
I got 1/3 of the way through. The guy started to sound like the last episode of THE WALKING DEAD.

I got the impression that he has way too much free time on his hands. Certainly he produced the right message, just the wrong ideology. He was referring to Anarchists.

Libertarians do NOT believe in ZERO government. That's just plain stupid. And it's hard to find any two libertarians that have the same view on how much government is enough.

Libertarians are probably the smartest humans on the earth and certainly the deepest thinkers. Ayn Rand was an absolute brilliant novelist, writer and philosopher, even as she was a disaster of a person.

I spent a lot of time with libertarians in the early 90s. After a while they become quite tiresome, even difficult to be around. It's one thing to hear a liberal pontificate hour after hour about a lot of irrelevant bullshit; it's quite another to hear this coming from an intelligent person. They seem to be even more judgmental than liberals.

(I heard Ludwig Von Mises, as brilliant an economist has he was, had a very short fuse)

My problem with libertarianism is their Ayn Randian believe of humanity being some kind of angelic heroic species of creature, while at the same time not wanting to impose any kind of standards on these people.
it is all of 13 min. if you don't see/hear the end you kinda miss out on the message

libertarians are generally considered minarchists but there are many flavors

just judgmental of people who don't take the time to read and spout out talking points or are hypocrites

i have never understood the rand meme



Thanks from Clara007

Last edited by Sabcat; May 27th, 2016 at 12:56 PM.
Sabcat is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Ideologies > Liberalism

Tags
dangerous, libertarianism



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Big Business Invented the Theology of 'Christian Libertarianism' and the Gospel o LongWinded Current Events 22 June 9th, 2015 11:15 AM
A Very Interesting Article: Fascist Libertarianism: For A Better World aDifferentperspective Libertarian 13 January 14th, 2015 12:08 AM
Penn Jillette explains Libertarianism Nwolfe35 Libertarian 2 November 22nd, 2014 07:36 PM
What Libertarianism Is and Isn't excalibur Current Events 0 March 31st, 2014 02:55 PM
Why Libertarianism is superior to Republicanism or Democratism Nwolfe35 Current Events 83 March 12th, 2013 08:42 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.