Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Money and Finance


Thanks Tree21Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2017, 06:31 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 10,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Sister View Post
There is a huge BMW auto plant in either Tennessee, South Carolina or North Carolina that I passed more than once on the interstate but forget exactly where. Is BMW going to close down the American plant in favor of Mexico? I don't know anybody who drives a BMW in the US and only rarely see one on the road. BMW is history.


Maybe you need to get out more, Sister. WE live not far from Scottsdale, AZ.....overflowing with BMWs. AND Lexus. AND Mercedes.

Off topic a little: Scottsdale hosts the Barrett-Jackson car auction. The most expensive cars in the world are sold during this event. A 1968 GMC truck just went for over $80,000. Check it out, car lovers!

Barrett-Jackson wraps up record car, truck auction
Thanks from Sabcat
Clara007 is offline  
Old January 26th, 2017, 06:56 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 38,895
Trump needs to charge BMW a 50% tax on all BMWs sold in the US that cannot be passed on to the consumer until they remedy their airbag problem. Trump should also tell the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that their budget is going to be cut by 90% if they do not get it handled immediately.

Trump can use the monarchical powers that were created before him to accomplish this task.
Jimmyb is offline  
Old January 26th, 2017, 07:08 AM   #13
Fm Presidential Candidate
 
Southern Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Monroe, GA
Posts: 543
The tariff would only be imposed upon vehicles assembled by BMW (or any other car maker) in Mexico and sold in the US market. If BMW built vehicles for the German market in Mexico that is between Mexico and Germany to work out. Vehicles assembled by BMW in the USA would not face the tariff, only those assembled in Mexico.

I know the reason that it is being so vigorously opposed by the left is because it comes from President Donald J Trump. Let's be honest, a tariff on vehicles assembled in Mexico but sold in the USA will help Americans. It will either generate tax revenue or it will create jobs in American assembly plants.

Now some will immediately tell us that this will start a trade war. That it is unfair. And all those other reasons. Right now Mexico imposes a tariff on every vehicle assembled in the USA and sold in Mexico. One of the things that NAFTA did was reduce that tariff charged by Mexico but it reduced it, it didn't eliminate it. The TPP also had reductions in the tariff charged for parts that are used in those vehicles assembled in Mexico.

Tariffs already exist, we are just dealing from a position of weakness and not putting America First. BMW should be free to assemble its vehicles wherever it wishes but if it wants to sell them in the US market, they get to pay whatever tariffs, taxes, etc. that are required by our laws.
Thanks from Sabcat and coke
Southern Dad is offline  
Old January 26th, 2017, 07:10 AM   #14
Fm Presidential Candidate
 
Southern Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Monroe, GA
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
Trump needs to charge BMW a 50% tax on all BMWs sold in the US that cannot be passed on to the consumer until they remedy their airbag problem. Trump should also tell the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that their budget is going to be cut by 90% if they do not get it handled immediately.

Trump can use the monarchical powers that were created before him to accomplish this task.
Telling them that the costs cannot be passed onto the consumer would be a deal breaker. BMW should be free to pass on as much or as little of the costs to the consumer that they wish. They still have to remain competitive with the other vehicles sold in this country. But vehicles that are assembled in the US should certainly have a competitive advantage over the ones assembled in foreign plants.

Made in the USA used to be a proud label.
Southern Dad is offline  
Old January 26th, 2017, 07:23 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 59,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
The tariff would only be imposed upon vehicles assembled by BMW (or any other car maker) in Mexico and sold in the US market. If BMW built vehicles for the German market in Mexico that is between Mexico and Germany to work out. Vehicles assembled by BMW in the USA would not face the tariff, only those assembled in Mexico.

I know the reason that it is being so vigorously opposed by the left is because it comes from President Donald J Trump. Let's be honest, a tariff on vehicles assembled in Mexico but sold in the USA will help Americans. It will either generate tax revenue or it will create jobs in American assembly plants.
It will mean higher priced vehicles.

Quote:
Now some will immediately tell us that this will start a trade war. That it is unfair. And all those other reasons. Right now Mexico imposes a tariff on every vehicle assembled in the USA and sold in Mexico. One of the things that NAFTA did was reduce that tariff charged by Mexico but it reduced it, it didn't eliminate it. The TPP also had reductions in the tariff charged for parts that are used in those vehicles assembled in Mexico.
Please substantiate that claim.

Quote:
Tariffs already exist, we are just dealing from a position of weakness and not putting America First. BMW should be free to assemble its vehicles wherever it wishes but if it wants to sell them in the US market, they get to pay whatever tariffs, taxes, etc. that are required by our laws.
They? You mean, "us." We, the buyers, will pay for whatever tariffs, taxes, etc. that are imposed by our laws.
imaginethat is offline  
Old January 26th, 2017, 07:26 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 38,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
Telling them that the costs cannot be passed onto the consumer would be a deal breaker. BMW should be free to pass on as much or as little of the costs to the consumer that they wish. They still have to remain competitive with the other vehicles sold in this country. But vehicles that are assembled in the US should certainly have a competitive advantage over the ones assembled in foreign plants.

Made in the USA used to be a proud label.
Not until they fix their Mexican airbag problem. They have been cut far too much slack. VW gets fined billons for fudging numbers and BMW gets a free pass fixing defective airbags that have killed at their leisure.
Thanks from Sabcat and coke
Jimmyb is offline  
Old January 26th, 2017, 07:30 AM   #17
Put some ice on that
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 26,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Sister View Post
I equate SUV with Minivan and an X-Bimmer means unknown bimmer.

Not something I could see myself buying but....


Last edited by Sabcat; January 26th, 2017 at 07:32 AM.
Sabcat is online now  
Old January 26th, 2017, 08:09 AM   #18
Put some ice on that
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 26,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
Trump needs to charge BMW a 50% tax on all BMWs sold in the US that cannot be passed on to the consumer until they remedy their airbag problem. Trump should also tell the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that their budget is going to be cut by 90% if they do not get it handled immediately.

Trump can use the monarchical powers that were created before him to accomplish this task.
Did you see that there was ANOTHER one the other day?!?

WTF?!?
Sabcat is online now  
Old January 26th, 2017, 08:11 AM   #19
Banned
 
coke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: nunya
Posts: 12,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
It will mean higher priced vehicles.



Please substantiate that claim.



They? You mean, "us." We, the buyers, will pay for whatever tariffs, taxes, etc. that are imposed by our laws.
Mexico imposes retaliatory tariffs on U.S. goods in response to
suspension of NAFTA trucking program ? Client Alert ? Wilson Elser


The "increase" in cost could be offset by the increase in manufacturing jobs. Remember the golden 50's you lefties keep rambling on about?
coke is offline  
Old January 26th, 2017, 08:30 AM   #20
Put some ice on that
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 26,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
Not until they fix their Mexican airbag problem. They have been cut far too much slack. VW gets fined billons for fudging numbers and BMW gets a free pass fixing defective airbags that have killed at their leisure.
Sabcat is online now  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Money and Finance

Tags
bmw, budge, latest, mexican, plant, threat, trump



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trump's latest lawsuit RNG Americas 8 October 15th, 2016 08:20 AM
Trump makes veiled threat towards Clinton. GhostRider Americas 65 August 11th, 2016 10:33 PM
Trump, a THREAT to Democracy!!! GhostRider Americas 12 July 25th, 2016 03:14 PM
Latest Poll Trump tops Clinton coke Americas 5 May 20th, 2016 06:36 AM
Trump 'reminds me of Hitlerí - ex-Mexican President Vicente Fox Franklin Current Events 178 March 3rd, 2016 01:34 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.