Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Lobby > New Users

New Users Post up here and introduce yourself!


Thanks Tree6Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 19th, 2014, 09:45 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: London
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensacola_niceman View Post
"Dick" translates to "cunt" in a similar British context.
I know what it means, I'm just a bit skeptical about my chances of complying.


[Oh dearie me, we have an autocorrect that doesn't like me spelling skeptical correctly, so I changed it back... No, don't thank me...]
Wanderer is offline  
Old September 19th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: London
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensacola_niceman View Post
It's very well you've decided to join us here.
Yes, it's very refreshing to find a board where you don't keep calling everyone "bloke".
Quote:
We are indeed more civilised. We wouldn't think of putting a McDonalds in a bloody ancient Gothic church.
Maybe not, but we wouldn't have had the poor judgement to invent McDonalds in the first place.
Wanderer is offline  
Old September 19th, 2014, 10:26 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: London
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
Hi, I'm a dirty commie bastard high school flunkie autodidact weaboo looser with too much time on my hands and a future full of wasted potential.
Sounds like my old school.

Quote:
There's also a fascist that lives here too, but he's more of a vagabond. He comes and goes whenever, but it's always a party when he's around.
Sounds like my old school teachers.
Wanderer is offline  
Old September 19th, 2014, 10:53 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders
Posts: 1,068
As Witless As His Friend Wittgenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Which negates the possibility of absolutes.
And yet the statement all things are relative is an absolute statement.

Paradox!
Don't take your fellow Brit, Bertrand Russell, that seriously. He got trapped by playing with words, "The set of everything that doesn't belong in any set" is not a contradiction.
The Sage of Main Street is offline  
Old September 19th, 2014, 10:56 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders
Posts: 1,068
Noisy in Boise

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
I remember meeting her in the next room at the hoe-down.
In the US, we have a whole state full of Black prostitutes who say, "I da 'ho."
The Sage of Main Street is offline  
Old September 19th, 2014, 11:09 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: London
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage of Main Street View Post
Don't take your fellow Brit, Bertrand Russell, that seriously. He got trapped by playing with words, "The set of everything that doesn't belong in any set" is not a contradiction.
Yes it is.

And that's not what Russell's paradox is about anyway. He was talking about sets that are not members of themselves and the fact that if the set of all such sets is not a member of itself then it must contain itself and is therefore a member of itself, thus defeating its own definition.

However: The set of everything that does not belong in any other set is not a contradiction.
Wanderer is offline  
Old September 19th, 2014, 01:40 PM   #27
Your Own Moderator
 
pensacola_niceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 31,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Yes, it's very refreshing to find a board where you don't keep calling everyone "bloke".
Maybe not, but we wouldn't have had the poor judgement to invent McDonalds in the first place.
I use the word "bloke" here too.

How do you know that I'm not really British and just pretend to be an American on BC forums? That is what Alice thinks.

McDonalds were invented in Scotland, a good thing they voted to stay with you I say.
pensacola_niceman is offline  
Old September 19th, 2014, 05:32 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gamma Solaris
Posts: 22,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
I know what it means, I'm just a bit skeptical about my chances of complying.


[Oh dearie me, we have an autocorrect that doesn't like me spelling skeptical correctly, so I changed it back... No, don't thank me...]
I've got the same problem with my own spell check. Frustrating, how it actually fights me, sometimes!
Tony is offline  
Old September 20th, 2014, 11:33 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders
Posts: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Yes it is.

And that's not what Russell's paradox is about anyway. He was talking about sets that are not members of themselves and the fact that if the set of all such sets is not a member of itself then it must contain itself and is therefore a member of itself, thus defeating its own definition.

However: The set of everything that does not belong in any other set is not a contradiction.
He was playing with words, and foolishly thought it was a serious flaw in mathematics, so he should start studying philosophy instead. It's like saying, " Phenomena is plural, so why didn't I say, 'Phenomena are plural' or even 'Phenomena are plurals'?" That way leads to madness.
Thanks from Tony

Last edited by The Sage of Main Street; September 20th, 2014 at 11:36 AM.
The Sage of Main Street is offline  
Old September 20th, 2014, 12:12 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NM
Posts: 1,238
Technical note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
I've got the same problem with my own spell check. Frustrating, how it actually fights me, sometimes!
(My bold)

You should be able to add lexical items to your spellchecker, so that it accepts them as correct. Look for an ADD function & follow the instructions. (You may get prompts to walk you through the process - it depends on what you're using for spellcheck, & it likely has an add function. The v. basic ones, though - you might be stuck. Still, it doesn't hurt to try ...)
hoosier88 is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Lobby > New Users

Tags
newbie



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie Abashanti New Users 165 November 11th, 2013 01:28 PM
Newbie here and etc mybodymyself New Users 9 September 3rd, 2009 03:23 PM
Newbie Zack New Users 7 May 27th, 2008 04:46 PM
Newbie! mishymoto74 New Users 15 July 27th, 2005 05:41 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.