Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Lobby > New Users

New Users Post up here and introduce yourself!


Thanks Tree36Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 27th, 2017, 08:31 PM   #111
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 59,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Roman View Post
Yes, but the first person to have codified the Biblical canon, Macrion, believed this.
When? Where?

Codified, does the codification survive till today? If so what is it??
imaginethat is offline  
Old October 27th, 2017, 08:37 PM   #112
Quid est veritas?
 
Peter the Roman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The heart of darkness
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
When? Where?

Codified, does the codification survive till today? If so what is it??
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcionism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcion_of_Sinope
Peter the Roman is offline  
Old October 27th, 2017, 09:02 PM   #113
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 59,745
Thanks, I'll read and study.
imaginethat is offline  
Old October 28th, 2017, 03:37 AM   #114
Senior Member
 
Asimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
I'm going to pic a nit. An eye for an eye is based in pre bible mythology. But the golden rule is biblical?
Interesting parsing.
Perhaps I have been unclear. The Code of Hammurabi is not a myth, it was simply an historical attempt to normalize a civic behavioral expectation. Crowd control. As I said earlier, the so-called Golden Rule is a vague watered-down expression of Christ's message about treating one's neighbor with kindness. It has also been called the Good Samaritan Rule. As a social principle, it probably has more universal origins and application than just in Christian circles, but what Christ actually taught was to go beyond the parameters of this golden rule and regard one's neighbor not just as an equal but as more important than oneself. "Let he who would be greatest among you be the servant of all."

Yes, THAT level of self-sacrifice, I believe, has a uniquely biblical basis. I could be wrong.
Thanks from imaginethat
Asimov is offline  
Old October 28th, 2017, 05:00 AM   #115
Senior Member
 
iolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rhondda
Posts: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Roman View Post
I disagree, but you're entitled to your view. Science can only explain so much.
Certainly, but can anything else explain anything? I think our job is to translate the best of the past into what we can use - the old people weren't idiots: they just expressed themselves in terms of what seemed true then. Jesus, for instance, had a lot of excellent advice as to how we should behave, wherever that came from. We need to look into good current arguments as to why we should adapt his suggestions, which he expresses in terms of 'God'. I think rather than playing Nineteenth Century games, we should be trying to analyse what that meant to him in terms we can understand. At present, most 'Christians' seem to spend their time giving everything to Caesar.
Thanks from imaginethat
iolo is offline  
Old October 28th, 2017, 05:43 AM   #116
Senior Member
 
Asimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by iolo View Post
Certainly, but can anything else explain anything? I think our job is to translate the best of the past into what we can use - the old people weren't idiots: they just expressed themselves in terms of what seemed true then. Jesus, for instance, had a lot of excellent advice as to how we should behave, wherever that came from. We need to look into good current arguments as to why we should adapt his suggestions, which he expresses in terms of 'God'. I think rather than playing Nineteenth Century games, we should be trying to analyse what that meant to him in terms we can understand. At present, most 'Christians' seem to spend their time giving everything to Caesar.
My father-in-law, who has spent probably 70 years as an independent minister, has offered the following: "I have heard it said that some Christians are so heavenly minded that they're no earthly good. In reality most people who call themselves Christians are so earthly-minded that they're no heavenly good."

I.E. Why do we not practice the gospel we preach? If the Gospel of Christ is a gospel of grace, and forgiveness and acceptance, why do we suck at doing it? Why do we treat others, including both believers and non-believers, as though God put them on this earth to meet OUR demands?
Thanks from imaginethat and iolo
Asimov is offline  
Old October 28th, 2017, 09:46 AM   #117
Senior Member
 
Polari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Britton, SD
Posts: 1,781
Wouldn’t it be nice if he was. Then we could all not give a shit about this life because the next one is going to be oh so much better. Our questions will all be answered and everything will be perfectly boring.
Thanks from imaginethat
Polari is offline  
Old October 28th, 2017, 09:51 AM   #118
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 29,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimov View Post
Perhaps I have been unclear. The Code of Hammurabi is not a myth, it was simply an historical attempt to normalize a civic behavioral expectation. Crowd control. As I said earlier, the so-called Golden Rule is a vague watered-down expression of Christ's message about treating one's neighbor with kindness. It has also been called the Good Samaritan Rule. As a social principle, it probably has more universal origins and application than just in Christian circles, but what Christ actually taught was to go beyond the parameters of this golden rule and regard one's neighbor not just as an equal but as more important than oneself. "Let he who would be greatest among you be the servant of all."

Yes, THAT level of self-sacrifice, I believe, has a uniquely biblical basis. I could be wrong.
I'm not disagreeing with your concept that Christ's teachings in this area expanded significantly on the golden rule. But the stripped down golden rule was a common concept from long before Christ and developed, seemingly independently is several cultures.
RNG is offline  
Old October 28th, 2017, 01:46 PM   #119
Senior Member
 
Asimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
I'm not disagreeing with your concept that Christ's teachings in this area expanded significantly on the golden rule. But the stripped down golden rule was a common concept from long before Christ and developed, seemingly independently is several cultures.
I see your point, and your documentation would tend to support that.
Asimov is offline  
Old October 28th, 2017, 01:57 PM   #120
Senior Member
 
Endtherepublic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: earth
Posts: 699
Quote:
God's not unjust, he doesn't actually exist. We've been deceived. If God existed, he'd have made the world more just... I'll lend you a book and you'll see
Joseph Stalin
Endtherepublic is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Lobby > New Users

Tags
god, opinion, real, reality, religion



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my real name McCoy New Users 8 February 7th, 2018 11:36 PM
The Real Sabcat Political Humor 0 November 15th, 2016 09:30 AM
Is This For Real??? Tony Science and Technology 0 April 9th, 2014 08:17 PM
Nothing is real any more. roastpork Science and Technology 1 January 27th, 2014 10:19 AM
Who was the real mlk jr.? ? Mr. Logic Racism 146 April 27th, 2013 06:15 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.