Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Lobby > New Users

New Users Post up here and introduce yourself!


Thanks Tree36Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2017, 05:28 PM   #61
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 59,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
Personally I think Divorce harms marriage more so than Homosexual Unions.
Amen. No contest. No-fault divorce is a scourge upon our nation.
imaginethat is offline  
Old October 16th, 2017, 05:52 PM   #62
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 29,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
Amen. No contest. No-fault divorce is a scourge upon our nation.
I don't agree. No thought marriages are much worse and the leading cause of divorce IMO.

I come from the age of "stay together for the kids". What a wonderful way to screw up your children.
RNG is offline  
Old October 17th, 2017, 02:32 AM   #63
Senior Member
 
Asimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
By the standard of "if it doesn't affect you get yer fuckin' nose out of it".
FYI I tend to agree, but the argument goes both ways. Still, it misses the point of the question. If there is a universal standard of right and wrong, it must have a universal source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
Many people have asked how gay marriage hurts those who are against it. And there has never been an answer that wasn't a variety of "I think it's icky!"
I'm trying to think of an exception to that statement, and nothing comes to mind. Conservative religion (not just right wing Christian) opposes gay marriage on religious grounds, but ultimately it's because the individual simply doesn't like it. Religious arguments can always be countered with other religious arguments, but "icky" is to the bone. Insurmountable to any line of common sense reasoning.
Asimov is offline  
Old October 17th, 2017, 03:17 AM   #64
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
Actually, that question should be asked of you as you clearly do not understand what I was saying with that anecdote.
To start with, I was giving somebody else's claim and explaining why it was flawed.
I never gave that anecdote as a justification of anything...


Additionally, our elliptical orbit actually varies by 5 million KM.



Again, you make assumptions that you cannot reason through with these claims of "perfectly balanced".
HOW do you justify these claims of "perfectly balanced"?



ROFLMAO!
From time to time I come across people who:
a) They make a claim, providing no proof.
b) I ask them to prove their claim.
c) They turn around and demand I disprove their claim.

No, no, no...
That's not how this works.
YOU MADE THE CLAIM that we are the only life in this universe.
YOU are the one who has the burden of proof to prove your claim.
Fine it varies but never outside the area that protects us. So it wasn't flawed.
Does it or does it not support life, it is suited for all creation.

You have already made up your mind on the matter of creation. I have not made up my mind on other life, astound me with your evidence!
Sensible is offline  
Old October 17th, 2017, 03:20 AM   #65
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwolfe35 View Post
Well except for the biologists (you know the people who actually study things like the eye) who are atheistic far above the general population.
Yes they study and marvel at Gods creation!
Sensible is offline  
Old October 17th, 2017, 08:07 AM   #66
Spud
 
foundit66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 5,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
Fine it varies but never outside the area that protects us. So it wasn't flawed.
Does it or does it not support life, it is suited for all creation.

Actually, it's very flawed. Because it still includes the assumption of "protection".
Do you have any clue as to how much more variance that elliptical orbit could include before human life would even be threatened?
Do you have any clue as to how much the current variance has contributed to wiping out / preventing species growth which could not accommodate such variance?

You keep coming back to your assumption with absolutely zero research on the matter.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
You have already made up your mind on the matter of creation.
How have I already made up my mind on the matter of creation?
You are still failing to comprehend.

What that anecdote boiled down to was a person jumping to a convenient conclusion based on inaccurate data.
That does not mean the conclusion itself is invalid.

If I show a person pushing a ball across a flat table and he says "That ball moves because of gravity", does that mean gravity doesn't exist? No.
It just means that the phenomenon observed does not support the conclusion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
I have not made up my mind on other life, astound me with your evidence!
Are you trying to backtrack or lie about your position?
Previously you said (emphasis mine)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
Well then you should have no problem with all your scientific knowledge proving how we exist so perfectly, in a universe devoid of other life, what made us so special?
You claimed the universe was devoid of other life.
And now you claim you have not made up your mind?

Last edited by foundit66; October 17th, 2017 at 08:31 AM.
foundit66 is offline  
Old October 17th, 2017, 08:21 AM   #67
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 59,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
I don't agree. No thought marriages are much worse and the leading cause of divorce IMO.

I come from the age of "stay together for the kids". What a wonderful way to screw up your children.
Those are a problem too, but with the advantage of a long hindsight and experience with no-fault divorce I disagree with that old saw that staying together for the kids always or even often results in screwed up children.

I've watched several marriages last, upon mutual agreement, until the children were out of the home. That certainly spared the children the pain in the ass of splitting time with parents for every holiday/birthday.

Of course, that crap continues with adult children lives, but at least they are spared from it when they're young children. And there are other downsides to allowing parents to casually divorce: Dad's bimbo girlfriend, and Mom's abusive boyfriend come to mind.
imaginethat is offline  
Old October 17th, 2017, 09:44 AM   #68
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 29,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimov View Post
FYI I tend to agree, but the argument goes both ways. Still, it misses the point of the question. If there is a universal standard of right and wrong, it must have a universal source.



I'm trying to think of an exception to that statement, and nothing comes to mind. Conservative religion (not just right wing Christian) opposes gay marriage on religious grounds, but ultimately it's because the individual simply doesn't like it. Religious arguments can always be countered with other religious arguments, but "icky" is to the bone. Insurmountable to any line of common sense reasoning.
The universality of the golden rule or reverse golden rule (don't do onto other what you don't want done onto you) is simple logic, not needing some universal entity as a source.
RNG is offline  
Old October 17th, 2017, 09:48 AM   #69
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 29,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
Those are a problem too, but with the advantage of a long hindsight and experience with no-fault divorce I disagree with that old saw that staying together for the kids always or even often results in screwed up children.

I've watched several marriages last, upon mutual agreement, until the children were out of the home. That certainly spared the children the pain in the ass of splitting time with parents for every holiday/birthday.

Of course, that crap continues with adult children lives, but at least they are spared from it when they're young children. And there are other downsides to allowing parents to casually divorce: Dad's bimbo girlfriend, and Mom's abusive boyfriend come to mind.
You seem to have been fortunate. Among my peers and my children's peers, the number of "families" where home was a war zone was oh so very far from a good environment for the children to grow up in.
RNG is offline  
Old October 17th, 2017, 02:39 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
roastpork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,640
Marriage is a sacrament and now a days people don't seem to take it seriously. It's not about the big fancy wedding, the big banquet, or the flowers or the wedding dress, or the bachelor/bachelorette party. It's about agreeing to spend the rest of one's life with a partner that one has promised to love, honor, and respect until death does them part. It's an institution that is conducive to the raising of children, in a safe, respectful, moral environment.

Now days many folk think it is just a big, drunken party, rite of passage-so sad.
Thanks from imaginethat
roastpork is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Lobby > New Users

Tags
god, opinion, real, reality, religion



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my real name McCoy New Users 8 February 7th, 2018 11:36 PM
The Real Sabcat Political Humor 0 November 15th, 2016 09:30 AM
Is This For Real??? Tony Science and Technology 0 April 9th, 2014 08:17 PM
Nothing is real any more. roastpork Science and Technology 1 January 27th, 2014 10:19 AM
Who was the real mlk jr.? ? Mr. Logic Racism 146 April 27th, 2013 06:15 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.