Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Opinion Polls

Opinion Polls Political Opinion Polls - Polls created by the community


View Poll Results: Time Breastfeeding Cover
Yes 9 81.82%
No 1 9.09%
I'm not sure 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #81
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 60,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrekk View Post
I haven't listened to this yet, but there was a radio discussion of the issue and the prudish reaction recently:

http://www.kqed.org/...m/R201205110900


I gave it a listen, and the guests were somewhat split on their opinions, to be expected of course. It was a fair discussion on "attachment parenting."
imaginethat is offline  
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #82
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrekk' timestamp='1336767882' post='401390

I haven't listened to this yet, but there was a radio discussion of the issue and the prudish reaction recently:

http://www.kqed.org/...m/R201205110900


I gave it a listen, and the guests were somewhat split on their opinions, to be expected of course. It was a fair discussion on "attachment parenting."


Thanks - is it worthwhile?
skrekk is offline  
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #83
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 4,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowuryder' timestamp='1336764981' post='401381

I love the photo, because it causes uptight Americans to get all worked up....and nothing is funnier than that.


Incredible, imo. Shame runs deep regarding a nude or partially nude human body, and rather than people owing up to their shame, fingers are pointed, accusations are leveled, and a picture of a mom nursing a "non-typical" child are dubbed child abuse and pornography.



Pornography: printed or visual material containing the explicit description or display of sexual organs or activity, intended to stimulate erotic rather than aesthetic or emotional feelings.



To call this pornography reveals more about the accuser than the content of magazine cover. If this picture stimulates someone's erotic feelings, the person should take a look at his or her attitude towards sexuality in general.


I am a self-confessed "dirty ol' lesbian,"



And, yet, my first thought on seeing that photo was not a sexual one. More like, "That kid looks a little old to still be nursing."



Second thought, "To each her own."



By the way, I asked some online friends from Norway what they thought. None of them found it to be sexual or offensive. But they did agree that the child looked a little old to be nursing. One agreed with fayt that the child might find it embarrassing later on. But their general attitude was "what's the big deal?"
CrazyFlamingos is offline  
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCrickets View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat' timestamp='1336767174' post='401388

[quote name='knowuryder' timestamp='1336764981' post='401381']

I love the photo, because it causes uptight Americans to get all worked up....and nothing is funnier than that.


Incredible, imo. Shame runs deep regarding a nude or partially nude human body, and rather than people owing up to their shame, fingers are pointed, accusations are leveled, and a picture of a mom nursing a "non-typical" child are dubbed child abuse and pornography.



Pornography: printed or visual material containing the explicit description or display of sexual organs or activity, intended to stimulate erotic rather than aesthetic or emotional feelings.



To call this pornography reveals more about the accuser than the content of magazine cover. If this picture stimulates someone's erotic feelings, the person should take a look at his or her attitude towards sexuality in general.


I am a self-confessed "dirty ol' lesbian,"



And, yet, my first thought on seeing that photo was not a sexual one. More like, "That kid looks a little old to still be nursing."



Second thought, "To each her own."



By the way, I asked some online friends from Norway what they thought. None of them found it to be sexual or offensive. But they did agree that the child looked a little old to be nursing. One agreed with fayt that the child might find it embarrassing later on. But their general attitude was "what's the big deal?"

[/quote]



My first and only thought was a sexual one, and I'm not even attracted to blonds.
skrekk is offline  
Old May 11th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #85
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 4,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrekk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCrickets' timestamp='1336775864' post='401448

[quote name='imaginethat' timestamp='1336767174' post='401388']

[quote name='knowuryder' timestamp='1336764981' post='401381']

I love the photo, because it causes uptight Americans to get all worked up....and nothing is funnier than that.


Incredible, imo. Shame runs deep regarding a nude or partially nude human body, and rather than people owing up to their shame, fingers are pointed, accusations are leveled, and a picture of a mom nursing a "non-typical" child are dubbed child abuse and pornography.



Pornography: printed or visual material containing the explicit description or display of sexual organs or activity, intended to stimulate erotic rather than aesthetic or emotional feelings.



To call this pornography reveals more about the accuser than the content of magazine cover. If this picture stimulates someone's erotic feelings, the person should take a look at his or her attitude towards sexuality in general.


I am a self-confessed "dirty ol' lesbian,"



And, yet, my first thought on seeing that photo was not a sexual one. More like, "That kid looks a little old to still be nursing."



Second thought, "To each her own."



By the way, I asked some online friends from Norway what they thought. None of them found it to be sexual or offensive. But they did agree that the child looked a little old to be nursing. One agreed with fayt that the child might find it embarrassing later on. But their general attitude was "what's the big deal?"

[/quote]



My first and only thought was a sexual one, and I'm not even attracted to blonds.

[/quote]



If I cover the kid up and just look at the rest of the photo, um, maybe. She is, unquestionably, not my type. But I do like boobies.
CrazyFlamingos is offline  
Old May 11th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #86
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 60,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrekk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat' timestamp='1336772205' post='401410

[quote name='skrekk' timestamp='1336767882' post='401390']

I haven't listened to this yet, but there was a radio discussion of the issue and the prudish reaction recently:

http://www.kqed.org/...m/R201205110900


I gave it a listen, and the guests were somewhat split on their opinions, to be expected of course. It was a fair discussion on "attachment parenting."


Thanks - is it worthwhile?

[/quote]



It's a long listen....



Depends on how much time you have.
imaginethat is offline  
Old May 11th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #87
Eyes Wide Open
 
waitingtables's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 44,991
Fayt was talking about this kid only if her annoyance over this magazine cover. Not publicly breast feeding or nudity. And she might be right about that. I don't think I would want this to be my mother and me on the cover and have to see that now as an adult and know others might see it as well.



As far as the breast feeding goes, Americans are far too uptight over it and it shouldn't be seen as inappropriate in public, especially when it is handled in the right way by the mother. Yet, if a woman was to breast feed her 4 year old in public people, including me, would look at it as something bizarre.
waitingtables is offline  
Old May 11th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #88
Fayt Storm ON [OFF]
 
Fayt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Not in MD
Posts: 15,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCrickets View Post
If you say so. There are lots of things that I would do or would have done when I was younger if I were not shy. I think this is probably one of them if the situation had presented itself because I see nothing wrong with it. Mothers in my family have never particularly shied away from embarrassing their children.


Yeah, but this is way beyond embarrassing and the fact that it's on a cover of a magazine that's going viral makes it close to child abuse (if it's not). I think you giving me the excuse that you're camera shy is a way of telling me that you wouldn't really do it even if you weren't.



You never answered my question that if you weren't camera shy, would you do it. And it would also be interesting to hear your children's response if they are at a mature age, as to whether they would approve. I know I wouldn't and I know everyone of my siblings wouldn't.



It would be nice if you were a little honest about your answer.
Fayt is offline  
Old May 11th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #89
Fayt Storm ON [OFF]
 
Fayt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Not in MD
Posts: 15,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtables View Post
Fayt was talking about this kid only if her annoyance over this magazine cover. Not publicly breast feeding or nudity. And she might be right about that. I don't think I would want this to be my mother and me on the cover and have to see that now as an adult and know others might see it as well.



As far as the breast feeding goes, Americans are far too uptight over it and it shouldn't be seen as inappropriate in public, especially when it is handled in the right way by the mother. Yet, if a woman was to breast feed her 4 year old in public people, including me, would look at it as something bizarre.


Yes, breast feeding is in public is.....fine. However, this photo that's shown in the OP, is way too conspicuous. This reminds me of that scene in Game of Thorns where Lysa Arryn was breast feeding her son.
Fayt is offline  
Old May 11th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #90
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 60,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCrickets' timestamp='1336708703' post='401266

If you say so. There are lots of things that I would do or would have done when I was younger if I were not shy. I think this is probably one of them if the situation had presented itself because I see nothing wrong with it. Mothers in my family have never particularly shied away from embarrassing their children.


Yeah, but this is way beyond embarrassing and the fact that it's on a cover of a magazine that's going viral makes it close to child abuse (if it's not). I think you giving me the excuse that you're camera shy is a way of telling me that you wouldn't really do it even if you weren't.



You never answered my question that if you weren't camera shy, would you do it. And it would also be interesting to hear your children's response if they are at a mature age, as to whether they would approve. I know I wouldn't and I know everyone of my siblings wouldn't.



It would be nice if you were a little honest about your answer.


Child abuse is a crime. Since the mom on the cover is guilty, what sentence would you recommend for this child abuser?
imaginethat is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Opinion Polls

Tags
breastfeeding, cover, extreme, parenting, time



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Breastfeeding: When is it enough? imaginethat Political Humor 11 July 26th, 2012 12:43 AM
Front cover of Time mag, 12/14/2009 highway80west Warfare 7 December 7th, 2009 02:29 PM
Breastfeeding Daddy intangible child Healthcare 0 April 20th, 2009 04:58 PM
New World Order - Time to blow the cover intangible child Political Talk 2 June 13th, 2007 05:43 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.