Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Opinion Polls

Opinion Polls Political Opinion Polls - Polls created by the community


View Poll Results: Are Protests the Most Effective Method to Bring About Change in Society?
Yes 2 18.18%
No 9 81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Thanks Tree8Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2017, 09:38 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
xMathFanx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 833
Are Protests the Most Effective Method to Bring About Change in Society?

Are Protests the Most Effective Method to Bring About Change in Society?

Here are articles from differing perspectives on this topic:

(A) https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-to-protesting
(B ) https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...t-work/360264/
(C) https://www.economist.com/blogs/demo...treet-protests
(D) https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...he-difference/
(E) https://hbr.org/2017/01/how-protests...cial-movements

So, do you think that formal protests in the streets, ect. are the most effective way (or effective in any way) of brining about change in society? Or, rather, would it be more efficient to end "PC" behavior and have "everyday conversations" about the issues with people that you come into social contact with, post more blogs, other writing/video formats posted online or in person, lectures/talks, ect.? Is it more that people are not challenged on their beliefs in everyday life and that doing this would be the best way to bring about change in society rather than isolated protests in streets that (although large ones receive media coverage) is more or less "preaching to the quire" or otherwise overly confrontational? Also, are street protests designed to be fundamentally emotional, illogical, and rather irrational with chanting's and mantras recited en masse? Is this a proper mechanism for which to persuade others that do not see nor agree with your perspective? Also, doesn't the risk of street protest (i.e. going to jail) seem far higher than "everyday conversation" even if those conversations may be highly uncomfortable?

Thoughts?
xMathFanx is offline  
Old January 5th, 2018, 07:27 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,496
I have protested and the most effective political action I have taken involved protesting to raise public awareness and also uniting with those who shared my goal of changing how the state thought of grandparents and their legal standing with their grandchildren.

That political action took a lot of time and money and was a huge learning experience! I would love to do it again. At one point we even rented a convention room and had lunch served. But at this point, we already had enough people involved to be pretty sure enough people would attend to cover the cost.

Writing letters to elected representatives and the editor of a local paper is also effective. I think all public writings are effective but I have no way of evaluating the effect. Perhaps if I learned to use the latest social media, I could be more effective and have a better way of knowing the effect?

The hardest part is connecting with people who share an interest in the issue. If that connection can be made, you have a movement that can die or get much stronger. Good social skills are vitally important in the growth of a movement. There will be problems as people's understanding and interest can be opposing and if this is not resolved the movement can die.

Organizing discussions is extremely difficult!!! I am open to discussing this further.
Thanks from Clara007

Last edited by Athena; January 5th, 2018 at 07:30 AM.
Athena is offline  
Old January 5th, 2018, 08:00 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
iolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rhondda
Posts: 1,759
Alas, the only effective methods of bringing about change are mass strikes leading to the armed struggle. It would be nice if it were not so.
Thanks from Clara007
iolo is offline  
Old January 5th, 2018, 08:34 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by iolo View Post
Alas, the only effective methods of bringing about change are mass strikes leading to the armed struggle. It would be nice if it were not so.
I believe the word is mightier than the sword. So do those who lead wars, but they lead to destruction and that is not equal to manifesting the good. We are capable of using our words to manifest the good.

It appears your opinion is the result of a Celtic background and severe poverty? That foundation coming before the concepts leading to economic development and then becomes social development as well. With social development is development of concepts for living together in peace so we do not destroy our advancements. So much depends on having enough food and decent shelter and security. Human nature is not the same when there is poverty as it is when there is abundance.


Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhondda

The Rhondda miners were also active in socialist activities outside the valleys. In the 1920s and 1930s the Rhondda and the surrounding valleys provided the principal support of some of the largest hunger marches, while in 1936 more Rhondda Federation members were serving in Spain as part of the International Brigades than the total number of volunteers from all the English coalfields.[66]
Athena is offline  
Old January 5th, 2018, 09:23 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
skews13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: nirvana
Posts: 9,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMathFanx View Post
Are Protests the Most Effective Method to Bring About Change in Society?

Here are articles from differing perspectives on this topic:

(A) https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-to-protesting
(B ) https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...t-work/360264/
(C) https://www.economist.com/blogs/demo...treet-protests
(D) https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...he-difference/
(E) https://hbr.org/2017/01/how-protests...cial-movements

So, do you think that formal protests in the streets, ect. are the most effective way (or effective in any way) of brining about change in society? Or, rather, would it be more efficient to end "PC" behavior and have "everyday conversations" about the issues with people that you come into social contact with, post more blogs, other writing/video formats posted online or in person, lectures/talks, ect.? Is it more that people are not challenged on their beliefs in everyday life and that doing this would be the best way to bring about change in society rather than isolated protests in streets that (although large ones receive media coverage) is more or less "preaching to the quire" or otherwise overly confrontational? Also, are street protests designed to be fundamentally emotional, illogical, and rather irrational with chanting's and mantras recited en masse? Is this a proper mechanism for which to persuade others that do not see nor agree with your perspective? Also, doesn't the risk of street protest (i.e. going to jail) seem far higher than "everyday conversation" even if those conversations may be highly uncomfortable?

Thoughts?
Quote:
Also, doesn't the risk of street protest (i.e. going to jail) seem far higher than "everyday conversation" even if those conversations may be highly uncomfortable?
Street protest is certainly more dangerous.

But you have an enumerated right to do just that.

Being arrested for it is what's unconstitutional.

The most effective way to make change is to vote.

100 million of which didn't bother to in 2016.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...N2V_757bFZ3Rcp
Thanks from Clara007
skews13 is offline  
Old January 5th, 2018, 11:44 AM   #6
I'm debt free
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 35,460
Yes protest to make change.

People Protested with their votes Nov 8, 2016.

People Protested in the 1960s peacefully and brought about change.

What has not brought about change is Riots. (don't confuse them)

For Example the Looting of the Beauty Supply Store and the Liquor store in Ferguson was not the path to social justice.
Thanks from guy39, Athena and Clara007
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Old January 6th, 2018, 03:49 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
iolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rhondda
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
I believe the word is mightier than the sword. So do those who lead wars, but they lead to destruction and that is not equal to manifesting the good. We are capable of using our words to manifest the good.

It appears your opinion is the result of a Celtic background and severe poverty? That foundation coming before the concepts leading to economic development and then becomes social development as well. With social development is development of concepts for living together in peace so we do not destroy our advancements. So much depends on having enough food and decent shelter and security. Human nature is not the same when there is poverty as it is when there is abundance.
My great-grandfather went on the Hunger March (he'd have lost his council seat if he hadn't) and several people my family knew went to Spain. Rhondda East was the centre of the strongest branch of the strongest union on earth at one time, and that was strong enough to stand up to Lloyd George during the First War. Poverty came later, since colonialism meant that all wealth went elsewhere and left us to the Slump, but my family was never in that case, except those that had to go to America. Everything depends on human solidarity. Without it, we'd better learn to eat grass.
iolo is offline  
Old January 6th, 2018, 03:55 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
Yes protest to make change.

People Protested with their votes Nov 8, 2016.

People Protested in the 1960s peacefully and brought about change.

What has not brought about change is Riots. (don't confuse them)

For Example the Looting of the Beauty Supply Store and the Liquor store in Ferguson was not the path to social justice.


Believe it or not, I agree with you and I was also thinking of the '60s and civil disobedience. There comes a time when words are not enough. If protesting is the only path left to make our voices heard---then so be it, IF it is peaceful and legal. Unfortunately, protesting sometimes turns to violence.
Clara007 is offline  
Old January 6th, 2018, 04:54 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by iolo View Post
My great-grandfather went on the Hunger March (he'd have lost his council seat if he hadn't) and several people my family knew went to Spain. Rhondda East was the centre of the strongest branch of the strongest union on earth at one time, and that was strong enough to stand up to Lloyd George during the First War. Poverty came later, since colonialism meant that all wealth went elsewhere and left us to the Slump, but my family was never in that case, except those that had to go to America. Everything depends on human solidarity. Without it, we'd better learn to eat grass.
And how is that solidarity achieved? What is happening in the US appears to be complete disintegration. Those who love and those who hate him are the evidence of a serious divide and what we need is someone who can unite us, but I don't think this can happen until we return to education for a strong and united republic. This seriously is about education for logic.
Thanks from Clara007
Athena is offline  
Old January 6th, 2018, 05:12 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
Believe it or not, I agree with you and I was also thinking of the '60s and civil disobedience. There comes a time when words are not enough. If protesting is the only path left to make our voices heard---then so be it, IF it is peaceful and legal. Unfortunately, protesting sometimes turns to violence.
I was very involved with Occupy and I think it deteriorated when it became about homelessness and a lower class took over. I know speaking of a lower class is pretty offensive but seriously, there are people who know how to get things done and people who do not, and the element that took over were not the ones who know how to get things done. They took to attention-getting protest marching that was too anti-social. My efforts to get them to organize in a more constructive way were futile. I am not saying this exactly right because I was not the only one to attempt to get a more constructive organization, but the camp was overwhelmed by destructive people and it was closed when someone was killed. Hey, that just was not the way to get things done!

By the way, most of my life I have lived below the poverty level. It does not take a lot money to improve oneself by learning. However, intense poverty over a long period of time and homelessness is very damaging to a person's ability to cope. I have been there. And those of us who have been there, need to educate people about the damage and we need to effect social improvement. But nothing good comes out of disrespect and anti-social behavior.
Thanks from Clara007
Athena is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Opinion Polls

Tags
bring, change, effective, method, protests, society



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are Protests the Most Effective Method to Bring About Change in Society? xMathFanx Political Talk 1 December 30th, 2017 11:38 AM
Making scientific conferences more effective kowalskil Political Talk 1 September 18th, 2010 06:17 AM
The MOST Effective Treatment for Depression Isn't Drugs... intangible child Healthcare 0 May 12th, 2010 01:03 PM
Patriot Act proven to be effective. RidinHighSpeeds Warfare 50 November 2nd, 2009 06:03 AM
Scientific Method vs. Creationist Method tadpole256 Religion 6 July 9th, 2007 10:43 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.