Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Opinion Polls

Opinion Polls Political Opinion Polls - Polls created by the community


View Poll Results: What makes us act the way we do?
Anonymity 6 50.00%
We are just like it in real life 2 16.67%
Other 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Thanks Tree46Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2018, 04:35 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
KnightOfSappho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
Some people strike a good balance, some are just nasty. I call them web jockeys. The make jokes about others, they insult and disparage. May be they don't have the courage to speak up in real life, so they hide behind the screen playing tough guy.
It's been bugging me for a while. Seems to be getting worse, all that hating on each other just because. Sad.
I think that there are several types of mean people floating on the net. Certainly one is as you described- the one who doesn't speak up in real life. I imagine that it helps release unexpressed anger/aggression as well as giving a self-esteem boost when they attack.

The Trolls, the ones that just attack without providing anything of value, are folks that are genuinely seeking attention and will accept it in any form. I often wonder what would leave a person feeling so permanently deprived that they find this type of interaction (Receiving Hostility) entertaining. There is, of course, the subset that lack normal empathy and will do it because they can.

The third type that pops to mind would be more specifically related to debate-type forums; that would be the person who turns to personal attacks when they are losing an argument. Those a simply poor losers or those who were not taught good debate skills.

My opinions, of course.
KnightOfSappho is offline  
Old January 27th, 2018, 04:43 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
KnightOfSappho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
Disregard "here" and span out.
Years ago, I was a member of a forum that has long disbanded and which name I have long forgotten. It was after 9/11, and people were very passionate about anything Muslim. Phrases like "kill them all" and "dip your bullets in pigs blood before shooting", "carpet bomb them all" were the norm.
Needless to say, I bowed out quickly, because it was so appalling. Not only did the forum owner encourage such language, moderators did as well.
I didn't get involved in another forum for a while. I joined another one years later and am still a member. Much more oversight and rules to follow. Over the years however, regardless of site, it seems that the rhetoric has gotten more hateful, spiteful. The only thing that changes are the sides, depending on who won the elections.
Discussing politics has always been passionate. I just don't think we lost our humanity like we seem to have lately.
I don't think that we have lost our humanity as much as we have lost our civility. I have said before that the election of Trump is a symptom not the cause. Our president has always been someone that we would point to and tell a child that they could emulate, but now we have an example who, if emulated, most good parents would send a child to his/her room. An underculture of anger and resentment has been brewing for a while.
KnightOfSappho is offline  
Old January 27th, 2018, 04:47 AM   #13
work in progress
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
Lost our humanity? Well, I think you are stretching the truth JUST a bit. AND what do you mean by lately?? If we HAVE lost our humanity, it happened at least 9 years ago--when Barack Obama was elected because that's when things WENT SOUTH quickly.
We certainly didn't agree with ALL of the GWBush policies, including the war, but after 9/11 this nation DID come together, even if for a short time. We held on to our humanity then. We mourned together. We honored our grieving families. We prayed together and tried to support those in need. So, when exactly did we lose our humanity? Who should shoulder the blame??
I don't know. That's why I am asking.
Lovebug is offline  
Old January 27th, 2018, 05:36 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
justoneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 4,225
What I see and have seen since the election of G W Bush, is that liberals loudly express their disdain for various Republican politicians especially presidents, while conservative people tend to keep their thoightsto themselves in public.

On the internet both sides unleash their viewpoint. This dynamic makrs liberals think that what they read on the internet is not reflective of society, but it is. So what we are dealing with is reality.
Thanks from Panther and Lovebug
justoneman is offline  
Old January 27th, 2018, 05:40 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
tristanrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 23,960
Right wing people march through cities chanting 'Jews won't replace us.'

That's keeping their thoughts to themselves?
Thanks from catus felis and Lovebug
tristanrobin is offline  
Old January 27th, 2018, 05:48 AM   #16
work in progress
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanrobin View Post
Right wing people march through cities chanting 'Jews won't replace us.'

That's keeping their thoughts to themselves?
Others want to slaughter pigs. We need to look at both sides.
This isn't about playing one side against the other. This is about common courtesy, on all sides. I perhaps didn't express my thoughts well enough. We all joke and use some tongue in cheek remarks. But are we forgetting the those on the receiving end have feelings?
Lovebug is offline  
Old January 27th, 2018, 05:53 AM   #17
The Posters of Meh
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North Texas
Posts: 5,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanrobin View Post
Right wing people march through cities chanting 'Jews won't replace us.'

That's keeping their thoughts to themselves?
Lets not get lost in semantics. Right wing people don't do as you say anymore than left wing people support dismantling the presidency just because a republican is in office.

Keep the extremes in mind, not ordinary folks like ourselves.
Thanks from KnightOfSappho and Lovebug
Panther is offline  
Old January 27th, 2018, 06:07 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
justoneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanrobin View Post
Right wing people march through cities chanting 'Jews won't replace us.'

That's keeping their thoughts to themselves?
Are you talking about a Nazi march? Come on get real. You know that is just a small group of nuts right? I am talking about people around you in everyday life. In the office. At the school. Liberals openly slam the sitting Republican Bush and Trump. Conservatives around you at your work etc. just kept quiet about Obama. If they talked about him it was quietly to someone they know. It is a very noticed dynamic.
justoneman is offline  
Old January 27th, 2018, 07:31 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 60,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by justoneman View Post
Are you talking about a Nazi march? Come on get real. You know that is just a small group of nuts right? I am talking about people around you in everyday life. In the office. At the school. Liberals openly slam the sitting Republican Bush and Trump. Conservatives around you at your work etc. just kept quiet about Obama. If they talked about him it was quietly to someone they know. It is a very noticed dynamic.
It's always weird when people living on the same planet, in the same country, have vastly differing views of the goings-on around them.

I have many rightist friends who for eight years absolutely started every conversation cursing the latest obamanation. In fact, most of them still do. Throw in Hillary remarks, and almost every conversation revolves around the damned communist liberals.

Maybe my rightist friends are more upfront than yours.
imaginethat is offline  
Old January 27th, 2018, 07:36 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 60,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightOfSappho View Post
I don't think that we have lost our humanity as much as we have lost our civility. I have said before that the election of Trump is a symptom not the cause. Our president has always been someone that we would point to and tell a child that they could emulate, but now we have an example who, if emulated, most good parents would send a child to his/her room. An underculture of anger and resentment has been brewing for a while.
It's been brewing and encouraged by pols on both sides of the aisle.

To your point re: DJT: You are exactly right. He's unique in the procession of presidents beginning with Eisenhower whom I've witnessed during my long life.

But his election didn't occur in a vacuum. Having a President DJT is a result, not a cause.
Thanks from KnightOfSappho and Lovebug
imaginethat is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Opinion Polls

Tags
happened



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This REALLY Happened !!! Raptor Current Events 0 April 25th, 2016 06:52 PM
Wow!, I can't believe this happened. intangible child Current Events 1 June 14th, 2015 01:32 PM
How it all happened. roastpork Current Events 0 August 28th, 2014 01:03 PM
What Happened on 9-11? intangible child Conspiracy Theories 0 November 16th, 2009 08:47 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.