Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Philosophy and Religion > Philosophy

Philosophy For discussion about general and fundamental problems connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
hot dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: australia
Posts: 5,636
my 2 children were in their schools end of year concert last night. as a doting parent i found the out of key singing, cheesy acting and crappy props delightful.



the acts included, among others, jailhouse rock, a wierd redoing of the hare and the tortoise, and 3 verses of "away in a manger".



being aussies, none of us got too fussed, it was getting late and the beer was cold, but it struck me what might have happened if this had been in america. or if it could have happened at all.
hot dragon is offline  
Old December 13th, 2011, 06:32 AM   #2
Retired
 
highway80west's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 16,836
Hot Dragon, that's kind of cool. In Australia, do they listen to traditional Christmas music? I take it that the songs like "White Christmas", "Winter Wonderland", don't really exist down under, does it?



And by your post about beer, you must be drinking Foster's. True?
highway80west is offline  
Old December 13th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
hot dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: australia
Posts: 5,636
strangely we have many of the same carols as you. there are a few uniquely australian carols, and australianised versions of traditional ones. however, there are polystyrene snowmen everywhere, shops spray frosting on the windows and hang plastic icicles outside, its wierd given that it NEVER snows and its the beginning of summer.



and hardly anyone in australia drinks fosters. most bottle shops dont bother to stock it, there are much better beers. and wine. wine is starting to take over as australias staple drink.
hot dragon is offline  
Old December 14th, 2011, 07:07 AM   #4
Retired
 
highway80west's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 16,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot dragon View Post
strangely we have many of the same carols as you. there are a few uniquely australian carols, and australianised versions of traditional ones. however, there are polystyrene snowmen everywhere, shops spray frosting on the windows and hang plastic icicles outside, its weird given that it NEVER snows and its the beginning of summer.



and hardly anyone in australia drinks fosters. most bottle shops dont bother to stock it, there are much better beers. and wine. wine is starting to take over as australias staple drink.


Interesting that Australia "adopted", should I say, the same carols from the USA and Europe, for that matter.



I've seen some Australian wines here in Southern California. Foster's gets advertised a lot here. Just 20-second commercials
highway80west is offline  
Old December 14th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
hot dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: australia
Posts: 5,636
much of australian culture has grown out of english culture, for a long time we were an english colony, we have a shared history, language, even genetics. this has changed in the last couple of generations especially, to the point where australia really has its own culture now. but that culture has its roots.



i was in europe some years ago and fosters was everywhere. bizarre, given that most english beers are far superior to fosters. most beers are. aussie wine is good. if you have the chance, any red from the Barossa Valley is excellent, the Barossa doesnt produce any bad wine.
hot dragon is offline  
Old February 11th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
I think your last comment was right in that it probably would not happen at all. Our education system here is adamantly antiChristian. Many have bought into the "Separation of Church and State" myth. When there is nothing at all in the constitution that even implies such a belief.
Rich Farm is offline  
Old February 12th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Up in the hills hidin' out
Posts: 1,872
We are not allowed to have a nativity scene in our Govt indoctrination centers in the USA.



The land of the free and the home of the brave is dead.
Tony Perkins is offline  
Old February 12th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Perkins View Post
We are not allowed to have a nativity scene in our Govt indoctrination centers in the USA.


Correct, unless all other faiths are permitted such exhibits as well and there's no preference given one over the other. It's generally improper for public schools to be putting up religious displays.



You are free however to do that in your home and your church.
skrekk is offline  
Old February 12th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #9
Not Believing My Eyes....
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 32,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrekk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Perkins' timestamp='1329071863' post='382581

We are not allowed to have a nativity scene in our Govt indoctrination centers in the USA.


Correct, unless all other faiths are permitted such exhibits as well and there's no preference given one over the other. It's generally improper for public schools to be putting up religious displays.



You are free however to do that in your home and your church.


Works both ways, you are free to practice your atheism anywhere. However, you want your religion to dominate, so you obstruct the practice of religions other than your own.



Your kind of atheist is subtle. You don't preach your religion from pulpits. You preach your atheistic religion from the courts.



Your religion is more palatable than some that teach eternal hell for everyone who disagrees with their religion. That is a plus for your atheistic religion, though the "tolerance" that you claim characterizes your practice of your religion is false, and hypocritical.
imaginethat is online now  
Old February 12th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrekk' timestamp='1329073824' post='382589

[quote name='Tony Perkins' timestamp='1329071863' post='382581']

We are not allowed to have a nativity scene in our Govt indoctrination centers in the USA.


Correct, unless all other faiths are permitted such exhibits as well and there's no preference given one over the other. It's generally improper for public schools to be putting up religious displays.



You are free however to do that in your home and your church.


Works both ways, you are free to practice your atheism anywhere. However, you want your religion to dominate, so you obstruct the practice of religions other than your own.



Your kind of atheist is subtle. You don't preach your religion from pulpits. You preach your atheistic religion from the courts.



Your religion is more palatable than some that teach eternal hell for everyone who disagrees with their religion. That is a plus for your atheistic religion, though the "tolerance" that you claim characterizes your practice of your religion is false, and hypocritical.

[/quote]



I suggest you take a look at the video at the top of the thread as you've confused government silence on religion with an endorsement of atheism, a symptom of the normative Christianity you were reared in. The video correctly shows what a government endorsement of atheism would actually be like.
skrekk is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Philosophy and Religion > Philosophy

Tags
religion, school

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Non-Religion Is The Fastest-Growing Religion imaginethat Atheism 42 March 15th, 2012 07:41 PM
My "other" Religion Louis Other Religions 119 June 11th, 2011 03:41 PM
Another Religion (LOL) Dude111 Religion 0 March 26th, 2010 05:31 PM
High School Senior's Nude Photos Posted Around School tadpole256 Education 15 March 19th, 2007 07:00 AM
religion belindzky Political Talk 1 February 9th, 2006 05:52 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.