Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Philosophy and Religion > Philosophy

Philosophy For discussion about general and fundamental problems connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language


Thanks Tree6Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2017, 10:09 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 54,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
OK, I watched about half, and it was "blah, blah, blah" and going nowhere.
"I used to be a militant Atheist, now I don't put that on my social media, but I still don't believe in God, blah, blah, blah, Liberals want to sexualize children, blah blah blah, I'm going to my god daughters confirmation to stand for her and people made nasty comments, blah, blah, blah"

Just a little too self absorbed, and not much in the way of a point...
The point is a good one: How can an atheist accept the idea that we are living in a holographic universe that some super being created but reject totally the idea of a "Creator" God?

Is that what you got Sab?
imaginethat is offline  
Old February 20th, 2017, 10:17 AM   #12
Banned
 
Daws77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: California
Posts: 7,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
The point is a good one: How can an atheist accept the idea that we are living in a holographic universe that some super being created but reject totally the idea of a "Creator" God?

Is that what you got Sab?
it's simple really...
Daws77 is offline  
Old February 20th, 2017, 10:49 AM   #13
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: LA LA Land North
Posts: 25,805
So the guy uses a bunch of words to say that we can neither prove nor disprove the existence of "the force" or whatever label floats your boat.

And that classical christian teachings are mostly bullshit.

And that Judeau-christian values are good.

And that Islam is bad.

And all except possibly the last are true and that is partially true.

But where he and I part company is he seems to be saying that that value system can only be achieved by accepting christianity to some degree. I think the same can be achieved just by being a decent human being and following the golden rule. No religion needed.

There is also some debate as to the wonderfulness of our value system. Would we be as enamoured with it if we had been raised in a different culture.

Again, what makes us always right and other cultures wrong, other than our firm belief that the way we were indoctrinated since birth is right.

He also avoids the negatives of religion. Some religions strongly, and all religions to some degree believe that they are right and everyone else is wrong. To the extent that screwing with those who don't accept your belief isn't really a sin.
Thanks from Daws77
RNG is offline  
Old February 20th, 2017, 11:05 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 54,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daws77 View Post
it's simple really...
You have a problem with the video maker's being full of himself and then you offer up a quote from Tyson?
Thanks from Sabcat
imaginethat is offline  
Old February 20th, 2017, 11:47 AM   #15
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 21,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
The point is a good one: How can an atheist accept the idea that we are living in a holographic universe that some super being created but reject totally the idea of a "Creator" God?

Is that what you got Sab?
Basiclly.

I have always found it amazing how some people can grasp to concepts that when examined under any other circumstance would be preposterous, yet they can w/o a single doubt condemn people for believing in equally preposterous theories.

The holographic universe IMO is much more logical than a sky daddy yet they are both as equally ridiculous as rockets sending photographs from Pluto back to earth. Yet there are a great number of people that will literally bet their lives on many of theories like these.
Sabcat is offline  
Old February 20th, 2017, 11:51 AM   #16
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 21,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
So the guy uses a bunch of words to say that we can neither prove nor disprove the existence of "the force" or whatever label floats your boat.

And that classical christian teachings are mostly bullshit.

And that Judeau-christian values are good.

And that Islam is bad.

And all except possibly the last are true and that is partially true.

But where he and I part company is he seems to be saying that that value system can only be achieved by accepting christianity to some degree. I think the same can be achieved just by being a decent human being and following the golden rule. No religion needed.

There is also some debate as to the wonderfulness of our value system. Would we be as enamoured with it if we had been raised in a different culture.

Again, what makes us always right and other cultures wrong, other than our firm belief that the way we were indoctrinated since birth is right.

He also avoids the negatives of religion. Some religions strongly, and all religions to some degree believe that they are right and everyone else is wrong. To the extent that screwing with those who don't accept your belief isn't really a sin.

He has numerous videos condemning religion of all shapes and sizes. The POV given assumes that the viewer/listener is aware of that. I apologize that I did not preface that if you found it distracting.
Sabcat is offline  
Old February 20th, 2017, 11:59 AM   #17
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 21,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
That's pretty close to where my beliefs have evolved. We know too little, have too little evidence on whether God exists, or on the nature of "God," to say God doesn't or does exist.

And the holographic angle, think of the Planck length. Nothing is shorter than the Planck length. It's the resolution of the holograph!!

Interesting video. Thanks Sab.

I grew up extremely religious. Have pastors on both sides of my family and am still involved in church driven charity. I was also a "militant atheist" and still can/will argue religion but find it pointless most of the time. Most people just need some sort of crutch. They are scared of the unknown/ dying.

IMO to say one knows anything absolutely is arrogance in its purist form.
Thanks from imaginethat
Sabcat is offline  
Old February 20th, 2017, 12:20 PM   #18
Banned
 
Daws77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: California
Posts: 7,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
You have a problem with the video maker's being full of himself and then you offer up a quote from Tyson?
the video maker is disingenuous ,Tyson is not .
btw ,Tyson is a friend of mine.
and not pretentious at all.
Daws77 is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Philosophy and Religion > Philosophy

Tags
belief, god, holographic, universe



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
this belief could only come from a right winger. GhostRider Current Events 13 February 2nd, 2017 03:18 PM
Belief-O-Matic Dude111 Religion 7 January 10th, 2015 09:18 AM
What is the Destructive Force of Belief? coberst Philosophy 0 March 15th, 2009 11:14 AM
Belief in Infallibility coberst Philosophy 1 October 9th, 2008 06:13 AM
Beyond Belief 2006 Katczinsky Religion 1 February 17th, 2007 11:31 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.