Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Philosophy and Religion > Philosophy

Philosophy For discussion about general and fundamental problems connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language


Thanks Tree11Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2017, 10:31 AM   #31
Mayor of Realville
 
webguy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
I read somewhere that he formulated the cosmological constant in 1917 and abandoned it (incorrectly) in 1930. I can't find that source again.

But so what? I don't see the significance you seem to want to place on that.
In 1917, Einstein's own equations were telling him the universe had a beginniing. Because he just didn't like the implications of that he created a fudge factor to avoid it. And persisted in that error into the 1930's.

There was no science, observation or reason that lead to his error, only his own bias.
webguy4 is online now  
Old April 30th, 2017, 10:35 AM   #32
Mayor of Realville
 
webguy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
You said "what I would like to discuss is the end of everything" and "At some point once you realize the inevitability that someday every human being will be gone . . . it should give you a sense of the futility of everything."

If "philosophy" creates in you a sense of futility in spite of the hope that religion offers, then I fail to see any advantage in sticking to philosophy alone.
I expect I'll get there eventually. Though I may restart the discussion in the religion, Christianity section.

Last edited by webguy4; April 30th, 2017 at 10:47 AM.
webguy4 is online now  
Old April 30th, 2017, 10:37 AM   #33
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 29,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy4 View Post
In 1917, Einstein's own equations were telling him the universe had a beginniing. Because he just didn't like the implications of that he created a fudge factor to avoid it. And persisted in that error into the 1930's.

There was no science, observation or reason that lead to his error, only his own bias.
As you said, there was no reason in the world at the time, no evidence or observation to support that.

So he did what any good scientist does, figured that since his calculations weren't reproducing what was seen around him, he modified the equations to fit the observations. Just good scientific method, not prejudice.

This is similar to how many of the moons of other planets were discovered. Astrophysicists noticed minor irregularities in the orbits of a planet and were able to mathematically match their observed orbits by postulating a moon. And with great regularity as the telescopes became better, the presence of the moons was visually confirmed.

This instance has precedent, other planets, the earth included have moons so postulating a moon is not outside of known things. Not like Einsteins situation at all.
RNG is offline  
Old April 30th, 2017, 10:46 AM   #34
Mayor of Realville
 
webguy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
As you said, there was no reason in the world at the time, no evidence or observation to support that.
There you go again, your use of the word "that" to imply I said the opposite of what I actually said.

What the "that" should mean is that there was nothing to support the universe did not have a creation moment. Einstein ignored science and reason to support his bias.
Thanks from Twisted Sister
webguy4 is online now  
Old April 30th, 2017, 10:57 AM   #35
end capitalism now
 
right to left's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
Have you ever seriously checked out Buddhism?
I've heard conflicting things about it...something to do with language translation, but the usual descriptions of nirvana I've come across seem pretty nihilistic.
right to left is offline  
Old April 30th, 2017, 11:07 AM   #36
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 29,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy4 View Post
There you go again, your use of the word "that" to imply I said the opposite of what I actually said.

What the "that" should mean is that there was nothing to support the universe did not have a creation moment. Einstein ignored science and reason to support his bias.
You are wrong. The "that" I refer to is the earth expanding. At the time, the prevailing scientific theory was that the earth was quasi-static.

What science and reason? Because even if you are supporting the Genesis lie, didn't god just magically poof make the universe as it is? You know, with dinosaurs and horses the size of small dogs and such?
RNG is offline  
Old April 30th, 2017, 11:16 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 11,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy4 View Post
There you go again, your use of the word "that" to imply I said the opposite of what I actually said.

What the "that" should mean is that there was nothing to support the universe did not have a creation moment. Einstein ignored science and reason to support his bias.
Einstein called that his greatest blunder by adding the cosmological constant which was accepted theory back in the day to make it a steady state universe when his theory proved that it is an expanding universe. Hubble proved that the universe is expanding by using the Mt. Wilson 100 inch reflective mirror observatory and finding the red shift.
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old April 30th, 2017, 11:57 AM   #38
Mayor of Realville
 
webguy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
You are wrong. The "that" I refer to is the earth expanding. At the time, the prevailing scientific theory was that the earth was quasi-static.

What science and reason? Because even if you are supporting the Genesis lie, didn't god just magically poof make the universe as it is? You know, with dinosaurs and horses the size of small dogs and such?
No, not the earth, the universe.

" prevailing scientific theory " ?

The only reason steady state was the prevailing theory was because of a bias because of faith in scientism.

"Genesis lie"?

I've given you plenty to talk about without you twisting my words or now completely making up things I never said.
webguy4 is online now  
Old April 30th, 2017, 12:00 PM   #39
Mayor of Realville
 
webguy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,720
The phrase "Big Bang Theory" was made up by a scientism believer trying to belittle those promoting the idea the universe has a moment of creation.
webguy4 is online now  
Old April 30th, 2017, 12:03 PM   #40
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 29,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy4 View Post
No, not the earth, the universe.

" prevailing scientific theory " ?

The only reason steady state was the prevailing theory was because of a bias because of faith in scientism.

"Genesis lie"?

I've given you plenty to talk about without you twisting my words or now completely making up things I never said.
Are you saying that genesis doesn't say that god made the earth as it is?

What philosophical reason should have people at that time had to disagree with a steady state universe?

And I never said you said genesis was a lie. I am saying that.

And belief in science isn't faith. It is a belief in what is seen, touched, measured and calculated.

In some cases there is a conflict. So scientists work to resolve the conflicts. Einstein ran into a conflict in that a calculation of his showed the universe to be expanding when observations went against that. So he attempted to fix it.

That the observations were, lets say inadequate rather than wrong has nothing to do with faith.
RNG is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Philosophy and Religion > Philosophy

Tags
end, world



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obama - World Bank To Keep Third World In Poverty Dude111 Political Talk 0 January 26th, 2010 07:41 PM
A Secular World is a Sane World tadpole256 Religion 0 August 18th, 2009 04:18 PM
The New World Order (NWO) is shaping the world in their image. intangible child Political Talk 8 July 29th, 2008 12:11 AM
World Oil teethandclaws Business & Industries 25 January 13th, 2006 07:02 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.