Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Philosophy and Religion > Philosophy

Philosophy For discussion about general and fundamental problems connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language


Thanks Tree12Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 5th, 2018, 10:06 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 11,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
My ethics are influenced by Christianity, Existentialism, and the teachings of Malcolm X and Emma Goldman.

I believe in personal agency and autonomy. That every single human being has the right to control their own lives, bodies, property (I define property as whatever one owns and/or produces), and destinies. Anything that violates that is morally wrong as far as I'm concerned. I also believe that certain seemingly immoral actions (such as homicide, theft, and other forms of violence) are justified when one's autonomy is violated by another.

I also believe in both Karma and the Golden Rule, which are universal ethical codes that cut across all religions, philosophies, and cultures. How I treat people should be a reflection of how I wish people to treat me, and vice versa. I wish to have my right to autonomy respected, therefore I respect others. I also believe that people's actions will eventually revisit them, for good or bad, in the future.
The moral framework that I adhere to is the Golden Rule; do unto others as you would have others do unto you. If others do not adhere to the Golden Rule and piss me off, that person is dead. Vengeance is mine say'th the Lord but I don't listen well.
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old January 5th, 2018, 10:08 PM   #22
The Token Black Guy
 
Gordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MD
Posts: 2,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
Canada has what are called "master - servant" laws. If your job is to develop OS systems and you agree to accept a salary from ABC Corp. to do that, any OS system you design belongs to them 100%. And I have no problem with that. That is as an employee. If you are a consultant, as you say that depends on the contract.

But without a specific clause in your contract as a consultant, your production does not, nor should belong to you.
Of course.
Gordy is offline  
Old January 5th, 2018, 11:05 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 11,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Of course.
If you work and get paid by the corporation and develop a new OS on company property then the corporation owns it due to proprietary right. If you build an OS system in your garage like Bill Gates did then you own it outright. Most every company I worked for, I had to sign a Not To Compete paper which I obeyed.
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old January 5th, 2018, 11:14 PM   #24
end capitalism now
 
right to left's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Well, if I create a product I have the right to profit off of it because my labor went towards creating it.
And what about where you get to hiring others and profiting from their labor? At today's radical extreme, does internet megabillionaire - Jeff Bezos have the right to squeeze everything he can out of the low wage workers in his warehouses who are timed down to the second to perform each of their order picking and packing jobs?
right to left is offline  
Old January 5th, 2018, 11:19 PM   #25
end capitalism now
 
right to left's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Sister View Post
If you work and get paid by the corporation and develop a new OS on company property then the corporation owns it due to proprietary right. If you build an OS system in your garage like Bill Gates did then you own it outright. Most every company I worked for, I had to sign a Not To Compete paper which I obeyed.
Bill Gates, like every one of these dotcom billionaires is a lying, cheating bastard! He stole his operating system from a programmer named Gary Kildall. None of the others were the real brains behind the companies that made them billions...they either stole or bought out competing interests early on because they focused on the money/not the inventions.
Thanks from Twisted Sister
right to left is offline  
Old January 5th, 2018, 11:48 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 11,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by right to left View Post
Bill Gates, like every one of these dotcom billionaires is a lying, cheating bastard! He stole his operating system from a programmer named Gary Kildall. None of the others were the real brains behind the companies that made them billions...they either stole or bought out competing interests early on because they focused on the money/not the inventions.
You have unfettered rage that needs addressed to keep you from going postal. Find a niche and exploit, Darwin.

edit: Fuck them and hooray for me!

Last edited by Twisted Sister; January 5th, 2018 at 11:53 PM.
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old January 6th, 2018, 04:41 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 10,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
I'm speaking more so about things like intellectual property.


Gordy, just curious and I always meant to ask you--who is the lady in your avatar??
Clara007 is offline  
Old January 6th, 2018, 05:43 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
My ethics are influenced by Christianity, Existentialism, and the teachings of Malcolm X and Emma Goldman.

I believe in personal agency and autonomy. That every single human being has the right to control their own lives, bodies, property (I define property as whatever one owns and/or produces), and destinies. Anything that violates that is morally wrong as far as I'm concerned. I also believe that certain seemingly immoral actions (such as homicide, theft, and other forms of violence) are justified when one's autonomy is violated by another.

I also believe in both Karma and the Golden Rule, which are universal ethical codes that cut across all religions, philosophies, and cultures. How I treat people should be a reflection of how I wish people to treat me, and vice versa. I wish to have my right to autonomy respected, therefore I respect others. I also believe that people's actions will eventually revisit them, for good or bad, in the future.
I was born a woman and all the Greek goddesses were about relationships, versus the gods being about action. A woman's role in life is not always about autonomy, especially if she is a mother. It is about caring for others and I think this is important to a society fit for humans.

Athena, Aphrodite, Artemis were virgin goddesses and had more autonomy than the others because they were not controlled by men. Our autonomy changes as we go through the different life phases. I can give the young children in my life 100% of my attention because my time with them is very limited. A mother may find it hard to have any life of her own when she is responsible for children 24/7.

My thoughts are also expressed in the thread about feminism and I appreciate looking at the issue from a slightly different angle. From my point of view, autonomy could be an immaturity and failure to fulfill one's duty. It is not just this and never that. A leader has a duty to those who are led, and I don't think that is an autonomy that is not defined by others?
Athena is offline  
Old January 6th, 2018, 05:49 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Sister View Post
The moral framework that I adhere to is the Golden Rule; do unto others as you would have others do unto you. If others do not adhere to the Golden Rule and piss me off, that person is dead. Vengeance is mine say'th the Lord but I don't listen well.
I can appreciate that feeling, but maybe it is wiser to look at ourselves and ask why are we pissed off? Maybe the problem is not the other person? Maybe such moments are an opportunity for us to grow?
Athena is offline  
Old January 6th, 2018, 05:59 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Sister View Post
You have unfettered rage that needs addressed to keep you from going postal. Find a niche and exploit, Darwin.

edit: Fuck them and hooray for me!
Hum, I don't think you have expressed a value that is good for humanity, but it sure seems to the capitalist way?

I appreciate right to left's sense of injustice and think in a nation that is supposed to be about liberty and justice, we might want to favor justice over greed? Not only would that be the higher moral good, but it could also reduce our national enemies and starve them of justification for hating us. Then we could reduce our national defense spending and invest in our health and education instead.
Athena is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Philosophy and Religion > Philosophy

Tags
framework, moral, reddit, stolen, subscribe



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trump to hold an AMA on reddit RNG Americas 5 July 26th, 2016 05:43 AM
OpenJudaism reddit Franklin Other Religions 1 April 15th, 2016 09:30 AM
Chairman Pao's Little Reddit Book Franklin Political Humor 0 July 5th, 2015 08:53 AM
Censorship at Reddit :( Martin Timothy Current Events 0 August 31st, 2013 02:58 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.