Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Philosophy and Religion > Philosophy

Philosophy For discussion about general and fundamental problems connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language


Thanks Tree12Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 5th, 2018, 05:25 PM   #1
The Token Black Guy
 
Gordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MD
Posts: 2,932
What Moral Framework do you subscribe to? [Stolen from Reddit]

My ethics are influenced by Christianity, Existentialism, and the teachings of Malcolm X and Emma Goldman.

I believe in personal agency and autonomy. That every single human being has the right to control their own lives, bodies, property (I define property as whatever one owns and/or produces), and destinies. Anything that violates that is morally wrong as far as I'm concerned. I also believe that certain seemingly immoral actions (such as homicide, theft, and other forms of violence) are justified when one's autonomy is violated by another.

I also believe in both Karma and the Golden Rule, which are universal ethical codes that cut across all religions, philosophies, and cultures. How I treat people should be a reflection of how I wish people to treat me, and vice versa. I wish to have my right to autonomy respected, therefore I respect others. I also believe that people's actions will eventually revisit them, for good or bad, in the future.
Thanks from Sabcat

Last edited by Gordy; January 5th, 2018 at 05:27 PM.
Gordy is offline  
Old January 5th, 2018, 05:31 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 22,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
My ethics are influenced by Christianity, Existentialism, and the teachings of Malcolm X and Emma Goldman.

I believe in personal agency and autonomy. That every single human being has the right to control their own lives, bodies, property (I define property as whatever one owns and/or produces), and destinies. Anything that violates that is morally wrong as far as I'm concerned. I also believe that certain seemingly immoral actions (such as homicide, theft, and other forms of violence) are justified when one's autonomy is violated by another.

I also believe in both Karma and the Golden Rule, which are universal ethical codes that cut across all religions, philosophies, and cultures. How I treat people should be a reflection of how I wish people to treat me, and vice versa. I wish to have my right to autonomy respected, therefore I respect others. I also believe that people's actions will eventually revisit them, for good or bad, in the future.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Nothing else is needed.
Thanks from imaginethat, Gordy and Clara007
Hollywood is offline  
Old January 5th, 2018, 05:34 PM   #3
The Token Black Guy
 
Gordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MD
Posts: 2,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Nothing else is needed.
I agree.
Gordy is offline  
Old January 5th, 2018, 05:37 PM   #4
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 29,714
I have an issue with the concept of you own what you produce.
RNG is offline  
Old January 5th, 2018, 05:38 PM   #5
The Token Black Guy
 
Gordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MD
Posts: 2,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
I have an issue with the concept of you own what you produce.
Well, if I create a product I have the right to profit off of it because my labor went towards creating it.
Thanks from Sabcat
Gordy is offline  
Old January 5th, 2018, 05:42 PM   #6
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 29,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Well, if I create a product I have the right to profit off of it because my labor went towards creating it.
That is different. Yes, you should profit in terms of the wage or salary you get for contributing your efforts to make it. That does not constitute ownership, IMO.
RNG is offline  
Old January 5th, 2018, 05:46 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Asimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
My ethics are influenced by Christianity, Existentialism, and the teachings of Malcolm X and Emma Goldman.
Nice to hear from you Gordy.

My ethics are not influenced by historical Christianity per se, though I believe the Bible and follow the teachings of Christ himself. But historically people have a natural tendency, it seems, to add to, take away from, or twist the words of Christ to suit their own preconceived notions of how others should act, often majoring in the minors while minoring in the majors. As a result they tend to value their own ideas more than they value people.

Admittedly I do believe there is some merit to existential philosophy, in that all perception is filtered through human experience and imagination. But sadly I am not well-versed in the teachings of Malcolm X, except as it pertains to his role in helping to build the Nation of Islam. What I know of Emma Goldman is that she was a Russian immigrant to the U.S. in the early part of the 20th Century, that she was an avowed Marxist and may have played a role in founding the American Communist Party, that she along with John Reed at first supported the Bolshevik Revolution, that she repudiated faith, marriage and family, and that she was deported (I believe) under the Sedition Act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
I believe in personal agency and autonomy. That every single human being has the right to control their own lives, bodies, property (I define property as whatever one owns and/or produces), and destinies. Anything that violates that is morally wrong as far as I'm concerned. I also believe that certain seemingly immoral actions (such as homicide, theft, and other forms of violence) are justified when one's autonomy is violated by another.
My only caution here is that when every person does what he or she believes to be right in their own eyes, the result is social chaos, and that Christ forbade any notion of personal vengeance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
I also believe in both Karma and the Golden Rule, which are universal ethical codes that cut across all religions, philosophies, and cultures. How I treat people should be a reflection of how I wish people to treat me, and vice versa. I wish to have my right to autonomy respected, therefore I respect others. I also believe that people's actions will eventually revisit them, for good or bad, in the future.
This also falls squarely in line with the teaching of Christ. He calls it the principle of "sowing and reaping."
Thanks from Gordy
Asimov is offline  
Old January 5th, 2018, 06:06 PM   #8
The Token Black Guy
 
Gordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MD
Posts: 2,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimov View Post
Nice to hear from you Gordy.

My ethics are not influenced by historical Christianity per se, though I believe the Bible and follow the teachings of Christ himself. But historically people have a natural tendency, it seems, to add to, take away from, or twist the words of Christ to suit their own preconceived notions of how others should act, often majoring in the minors while minoring in the majors. As a result they tend to value their own ideas more than they value people.
Christ believed in loving everyone and treating people with respect. Christianity also provides a spiritual backbone to me, which is very important. Certain sins in Christianity are practically not good for you or others and should be avoided not only because the Bible says so, but because they are toxic to one's soul and usually violate the autonomy of others.

I also agree with this. Christian doctrine is often used be ppl to violate others. It was used to justify things like slavery and apartheid.


Quote:
Admittedly I do believe there is some merit to existential philosophy, in that all perception is filtered through human experience and imagination.
This isn't really what existentialism is. The existentialists generally believe that life is inherently meaningless, and it is the responsibility of the individual to either accept this meaninglessness, or to find meaning in the midst of the meaninglessness. They place an emphasis on personal agency.

Quote:
But sadly I am not well-versed in the teachings of Malcolm X, except as it pertains to his role in helping to build the Nation of Islam.
He believed that Black folks should love themselves, control their lives, and defend their communities from racist aggression. He was against the Eurocentric narratives that made Black folks hate themselves and each other. As an individual, he raised my self-esteem and completely changed how I look at myself and others who look like me.

Quote:
What I know of Emma Goldman is that she was a Russian immigrant to the U.S. in the early part of the 20th Century, that she was an avowed Marxist and may have played a role in founding the American Communist Party, that she along with John Reed at first supported the Bolshevik Revolution, that she repudiated faith, marriage and family, and that she was deported (I believe) under the Sedition Act.
She was far from a Marxist lol,and she did not help found the Communist party. In fact, she was a staunch critic of the Bolsheviks and the Soviet Union. She was an Anarcho-socialist with an individualist tinge who believed that the state, patriarchy, the church, capitalism needed to be violently overthrown, as they encroached on the rights of the individual and were thus oppressive and violent institutions. I don't necessarily believe in the violent overthrow of anything, but her arguments about the individual and institutions are pretty valid.

Quote:
My only caution here is that when every person does what he or she believes to be right in their own eyes, the result is social chaos, and that Christ forbade any notion of personal vengeance.
Which is why I emphasize autonomy. I believe that ppl have the right to do whatever they want as long as they aren't hurting others. When I said "certain seemingly immoral actions are justified", I meant when they were in self-defense. I did not mean vengeance (though vengeance can certainly be a valid motivation in some cases imo).

A slave killing his/her master is self-defense, not vengeance.

Quote:
This also falls squarely in line with the teaching of Christ. He calls it the principle of "sowing and reaping."
Exactly.
Thanks from Sabcat

Last edited by Gordy; January 5th, 2018 at 07:14 PM.
Gordy is offline  
Old January 5th, 2018, 06:12 PM   #9
The Token Black Guy
 
Gordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MD
Posts: 2,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
That is different. Yes, you should profit in terms of the wage or salary you get for contributing your efforts to make it. That does not constitute ownership, IMO.
I'm speaking more so about things like intellectual property.
Gordy is offline  
Old January 5th, 2018, 07:30 PM   #10
Banned
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 35,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
My ethics are influenced by Christianity, Existentialism, and the teachings of Malcolm X and Emma Goldman.

I believe in personal agency and autonomy. That every single human being has the right to control their own lives, bodies, property (I define property as whatever one owns and/or produces), and destinies. Anything that violates that is morally wrong as far as I'm concerned. I also believe that certain seemingly immoral actions (such as homicide, theft, and other forms of violence) are justified when one's autonomy is violated by another.

I also believe in both Karma and the Golden Rule, which are universal ethical codes that cut across all religions, philosophies, and cultures. How I treat people should be a reflection of how I wish people to treat me, and vice versa. I wish to have my right to autonomy respected, therefore I respect others. I also believe that people's actions will eventually revisit them, for good or bad, in the future.
I am a Christian, I understand that all of us have sinned against God, I also understand my sins are no better than anyone else's sins.
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Philosophy and Religion > Philosophy

Tags
framework, moral, reddit, stolen, subscribe



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trump to hold an AMA on reddit RNG Americas 5 July 26th, 2016 05:43 AM
OpenJudaism reddit Franklin Other Religions 1 April 15th, 2016 09:30 AM
Chairman Pao's Little Reddit Book Franklin Political Humor 0 July 5th, 2015 08:53 AM
Censorship at Reddit :( Martin Timothy Current Events 0 August 31st, 2013 02:58 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.