Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Humor

Political Humor Political Humor Forum - Have something politically funny to share? We like political cartoons and satire!


Thanks Tree12Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2018, 10:56 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 20,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMathFanx View Post
If the Schools have specific standards on Freedom of Speech in people's personal lives, and Employers/Businesses have similar standards, then when & in what sense do we have Freedom of Speech?
IF...big word.
Hollywood is online now  
Old January 14th, 2018, 10:56 AM   #12
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 28,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMathFanx View Post
If the Schools have specific standards on Freedom of Speech in people's personal lives, and Employers/Businesses have similar standards, then when & in what sense do we have Freedom of Speech?
The consensus I am seeing is that the first amendment protects your speech from government suppression. It does not address schools, businesses etc.

I guess that would make publicly funded schools problematic from a legal perspective.
RNG is offline  
Old January 14th, 2018, 10:58 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 10,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMathFanx View Post
Following the Law?

Are you suggesting that if I (for instance) made a post on this forum that some people found "highly offensive", connected it to my real name (not my SN), and people reported it to my University (that has absolutely nothing to do with my connection on this forum or elsewhere) that I should be indicted, suspended, ect. ect. ?
So someone says "I did something, and now I'm being punished by the school"
I am supposed to assume that what the school is doing is wrong?
Why?
Doesn't that depend on what "something" is?
And when someone says "something" and will not reveal what something is, rightly or wrongly I assume something is pretty bad.

Because this guy is trying to make a case, yet he's holding back information, that he knows people will want.

All I know is the school is punishing him for something he did.
And he doesn't want anyone to know what he did.

When prompted "I don't know what you did"
his response is "it was a joke, it was an April Fools Joke"
Which implies "I'm not gonna say what I did, because it's pretty disgusting"
And if he is going to leave that implication hanging out there, he's not getting the benefit of the doubt.
goober is online now  
Old January 14th, 2018, 11:01 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
xMathFanx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
IF...big word.
No, not a big word. This is becoming standard practice. It already is at Universities/Colleges--likewise with most Businesses/Employers, & is ever increasing given the current climate/zeitgeist.
xMathFanx is offline  
Old January 14th, 2018, 11:05 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
justoneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMathFanx View Post
If the Schools have specific standards on Freedom of Speech in people's personal lives, and Employers/Businesses have similar standards, then when & in what sense do we have Freedom of Speech?
Exactly. There is not freedom of speech on university campuses. They are infact no free speech zones.
Thanks from xMathFanx
justoneman is offline  
Old January 14th, 2018, 11:05 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
xMathFanx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
So someone says "I did something, and now I'm being punished by the school"
I am supposed to assume that what the school is doing is wrong?
Why?
Doesn't that depend on what "something" is?
And when someone says "something" and will not reveal what something is, rightly or wrongly I assume something is pretty bad.

Because this guy is trying to make a case, yet he's holding back information, that he knows people will want.

All I know is the school is punishing him for something he did.
And he doesn't want anyone to know what he did.

When prompted "I don't know what you did"
his response is "it was a joke, it was an April Fools Joke"
Which implies "I'm not gonna say what I did, because it's pretty disgusting"
And if he is going to leave that implication hanging out there, he's not getting the benefit of the doubt.

What if I went into your Argument History, found something highly incendiary (as there undoubtedly is--such is the nature of the Free Exchange of Ideas, particularly on forums such as this), pulled them out-of-context, was tech. savvy enough to find out your real name expose it, report it to your employers with a mob of resentful people backing/supporting me, and your employers took swift action against you about it? You don't see problems with this?

Edit: Why are the Universities even getting involved with the students personal lives?

Also, note, Immigration is a legitimate topic of exploration even if it is highly contentious. What looked outrageous to some may have looked like a normal intentionally hyperbolic comment/joke to galvanize laughter(?). Even if it was absolutely contemptible, are we not supposed to have Freedom of Speech?

Last edited by xMathFanx; January 14th, 2018 at 11:10 AM.
xMathFanx is offline  
Old January 14th, 2018, 11:11 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
xMathFanx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by justoneman View Post
Exactly. There is not freedom of speech on university campuses. They are infact no free speech zones.
I agree. Or, rather, a bit more precisely, they are zones of "highly constrained and regulated speech--and therefore, thought"
xMathFanx is offline  
Old January 14th, 2018, 11:25 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
justoneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMathFanx View Post
I agree. Or, rather, a bit more precisely, they are zones of "highly constrained and regulated speech--and therefore, thought"
I think it goes even a step further. Universities "baby" anti conservative ideology to the point that it encourages left wing violence. They are cracking down on conservative words and soft pedaling Lefty violence. cars get lit on fire and store windows smashed and little is done about it.
Thanks from Sabcat and xMathFanx

Last edited by justoneman; January 14th, 2018 at 11:38 AM.
justoneman is offline  
Old January 14th, 2018, 11:34 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 10,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMathFanx View Post
What if I went into your Argument History, found something highly incendiary (as there undoubtedly is--such is the nature of the Free Exchange of Ideas, particularly on forums such as this), pulled them out-of-context, was tech. savvy enough to find out your real name expose it, report it to your employers with a mob of resentful people backing/supporting me, and your employers took swift action against you about it? You don't see problems with this?

Edit: Why are the Universities even getting involved with the students personal lives?

Also, note, Immigration is a legitimate topic of exploration even if it is highly contentious. What looked outrageous to some may have looked like a normal intentionally hyperbolic comment/joke to galvanize laughter(?). Even if it was absolutely contemptible, are we not supposed to have Freedom of Speech?
That's not what this case involves.
This is a case where a student of a college(a relationship that lasts only a few years) has violated the code of conduct in a way that the people charged with enforcing the code have taken actions against the student.


Freedom of Speech protects you from the government, that's it, you say something your boss doesn't like, you're unemployed. They can't throw you in jail, but they can throw you out of the club.
goober is online now  
Old January 14th, 2018, 11:35 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
xMathFanx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by justoneman View Post
I think it goes even a step further. Universities "baby" anti conservative ideology to the point that it encourages left wing violence. They are cracking down on conservative words and soft pedaling Lefty violence. cars get lit in fire and store windows smashed and little is done about it.
I agree. If you go back to one of my first posts on this Thread, I stated "under threat of Force"
xMathFanx is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Humor

Tags
attacks, sjw



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Limbaugh attacks. roastpork Current Events 15 June 21st, 2014 03:02 PM
Dog attacks boy, cat attacks dog imaginethat Current Events 14 May 17th, 2014 09:42 AM
Israeli Attacks Kill Over 310 in Gaza in One of Israelís Bloodiest Attacks intangible child Warfare 178 January 14th, 2009 03:45 PM
Attacks on Independent Courts Are Attacks on America tristanrobin Political Talk 3 September 17th, 2007 07:32 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.