Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Ideologies

Political Ideologies For topics and discussions about political ideologies, political parties, and political principles


Thanks Tree20Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23rd, 2016, 07:35 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 45
The Difference Between Conservatives and Liberals...

Political discourse generally revolves around a set of hypotheses about external events. For the most part, conservatives and liberals alike are interested in reaching the same end goal albeit with a different philosophical approach.

Conservatives believe that most things work out better if left to free markets, traditions, precedence, families, etc., while liberals will go out of their way to defend their own unique vision of the world as they see it through their eyes. They are not solely defending a set of hypotheses about external events, they are in a sense defending their very souls -- and the zeal and ruthlessness with which they defend their vision should not be surprising under these circumstances! At the end of the day, everyone would prefer to be proved right rather than proved wrong, but the point here is that there are no such comparable ego stakes involved among conservatives.

This key difference certainly helps to explain the greater tendency of liberals to see those they disagree with as enemies who are morally lacking. While there are individual variations in this, I have certainly seen left-wing arguments devolve into meaningless insults as opposed to flourishing into a display of both logic and reason.

"Disagree with someone on the right and he is likely to think you obtuse, wrong, foolish, and a dope. Disagree with someone on the left and he is more likely to think you selfish, a sell-out, insensitive, and possibly evil." Joseph Epstein
Thanks from Twisted Sister
BordenMilk is offline  
Old December 23rd, 2016, 07:42 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
justoneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,021
Well I think what you say is true. The evidence of it is to see the difference in the reactions to when Obama won the presidency vs. Trump winning it. The reaction of the Right when Obama won was mostly acceptance. Sure there were segments who put up obtuse arguments about his birth location and such. It was not widely held.
The reaction to Trumps victory by the Left has been very evenly across the board a vehement and visceral reaction.
Thanks from Jimgorn and BordenMilk
justoneman is offline  
Old December 23rd, 2016, 07:46 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
skews13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: nirvana
Posts: 7,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by BordenMilk View Post
Political discourse generally revolves around a set of hypotheses about external events. For the most part, conservatives and liberals alike are interested in reaching the same end goal albeit with a different philosophical approach.

Conservatives believe that most things work out better if left to free markets, traditions, precedence, families, etc., while liberals will go out of their way to defend their own unique vision of the world as they see it through their eyes. They are not solely defending a set of hypotheses about external events, they are in a sense defending their very souls -- and the zeal and ruthlessness with which they defend their vision should not be surprising under these circumstances! At the end of the day, everyone would prefer to be proved right rather than proved wrong, but the point here is that there are no such comparable ego stakes involved among conservatives.

This key difference certainly helps to explain the greater tendency of liberals to see those they disagree with as enemies who are morally lacking. While there are individual variations in this, I have certainly seen left-wing arguments devolve into meaningless insults as opposed to flourishing into a display of both logic and reason.

"Disagree with someone on the right and he is likely to think you obtuse, wrong, foolish, and a dope. Disagree with someone on the left and he is more likely to think you selfish, a sell-out, insensitive, and possibly evil." Joseph Epstein

Listened to AM talk radio lately?

Watch any Fox News lately?

Either example is the very definition of devolution.

Do you know the definition of the word projection?

Is insulting someone's intelligence your idea of being able to engage in an honest debate?

Also see rhetorical.
Thanks from tristanrobin
skews13 is offline  
Old December 23rd, 2016, 07:58 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by skews13 View Post
Listened to AM talk radio lately?

Watch any Fox News lately?

Either example is the very definition of devolution.

Do you know the definition of the word projection?

Is insulting someone's intelligence your idea of being able to engage in an honest debate?

Also see rhetorical.
Not lately. When I do listen to talk radio, I listen 50/50 to conservative and liberal stations.

Nope. Have you watched MSNBC lately?

I do know what projection is. Are you trying to make a point along the lines that I'm somehow defending myself against my own argument?

I'm not insulting anyone's intelligence. I'm merely illustrating two very different political viewpoints/philosophies.
Thanks from Jimgorn
BordenMilk is offline  
Old December 23rd, 2016, 08:14 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 52,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by BordenMilk View Post
Political discourse generally revolves around a set of hypotheses about external events. For the most part, conservatives and liberals alike are interested in reaching the same end goal albeit with a different philosophical approach.

Conservatives believe that most things work out better if left to free markets, traditions, precedence, families, etc., while liberals will go out of their way to defend their own unique vision of the world as they see it through their eyes. They are not solely defending a set of hypotheses about external events, they are in a sense defending their very souls -- and the zeal and ruthlessness with which they defend their vision should not be surprising under these circumstances! At the end of the day, everyone would prefer to be proved right rather than proved wrong, but the point here is that there are no such comparable ego stakes involved among conservatives.

This key difference certainly helps to explain the greater tendency of liberals to see those they disagree with as enemies who are morally lacking. While there are individual variations in this, I have certainly seen left-wing arguments devolve into meaningless insults as opposed to flourishing into a display of both logic and reason.

"Disagree with someone on the right and he is likely to think you obtuse, wrong, foolish, and a dope. Disagree with someone on the left and he is more likely to think you selfish, a sell-out, insensitive, and possibly evil." Joseph Epstein
No, conservatives, specifically your evangelical battalion, started "The other side is evil" meme starting in the Moral Majority, babykiller days. They never looked back as they pressed their case. With the advent of The Donald, the principle is so ingrained, so taken as a given, that's it's only occasionally discussed or proclaimed, but it undergirds the Trumpian philosophy which is accepted by conservatives.

Liberals' downfall is emotionality. Gender politics is emotionality. Their immigration policies are emotionality. It can be a strength too, but the way emotionality has been manifested, codified, enforced in recent times it's definitely been a negative.

The problem of course is that each side claims to have a near-100 percent infallibility rating, and that's always a recipe for failure, even disaster.
imaginethat is online now  
Old December 23rd, 2016, 08:29 AM   #6
Banned
 
lovelyMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: ÷rebro
Posts: 35
Liberals worst than Conservatives for me at least. Liberals promises Communism. Very tragic.
lovelyMan is offline  
Old December 23rd, 2016, 08:34 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
tristanrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 20,852


I believe it's exactly the opposite!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L4pq2G3WRWmPkKQTQ0wE_FINALKerryBush.jpg (20.1 KB, 23 views)
tristanrobin is offline  
Old December 23rd, 2016, 09:28 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
justoneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanrobin View Post


I believe it's exactly the opposite!
It is not even close. You have to compare a small group of people on political websites saying Obama needs to be impeached because he was born in Kenya, vs. Hollywood actors forming groups and putting ads on TV to try to cause a revolution and Liberals everywhere, at work on airplanes harassing Ivanka, In the main stream media trying to upend the electoral college. Politicians filing recounts in states very clearly won by Trump. No question of impropriety in these elections, not even close nationwide.

It is the Left going completely ape shit over it. It far and away surpasses a few people on the Right on political forums talking about Obama and Kenya.
justoneman is offline  
Old December 23rd, 2016, 09:30 AM   #9
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: LA LA Land North
Posts: 23,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by justoneman View Post
Well I think what you say is true. The evidence of it is to see the difference in the reactions to when Obama won the presidency vs. Trump winning it. The reaction of the Right when Obama won was mostly acceptance. Sure there were segments who put up obtuse arguments about his birth location and such. It was not widely held.
The reaction to Trumps victory by the Left has been very evenly across the board a vehement and visceral reaction.
What alternative universe do you live in?
Thanks from tristanrobin
RNG is offline  
Old December 23rd, 2016, 09:32 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
tristanrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 20,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by justoneman View Post
It is not even close. You have to compare a small group of people on political websites saying Obama needs to be impeached because he was born in Kenya, vs. Hollywood actors forming groups and putting ads on TV to try to cause a revolution and Liberals everywhere, at work on airplanes harassing Ivanka, In the main stream media trying to upend the electoral college. Politicians filing recounts in states very clearly won by Trump. No question of impropriety in these elections, not even close nationwide.

It is the Left going completely ape shit over it. It far and away surpasses a few people on the Right on political forums talking about Obama and Kenya.
liberals everywhere are on airplanes harassing Ivanka?
wow
that woman gets around

you're so dishonest, it's amazing anybody responds to you
Thanks from imaginethat and Clara007
tristanrobin is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Ideologies

Tags
conservatives, difference, liberals



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A History Lesson: Conservatives & Liberals Sunshine Political Talk 13 September 12th, 2015 06:28 PM
Why Liberals Are More Intelligent Than Conservatives Mrs. CJ Parker Social Issues 0 May 24th, 2013 03:48 PM
OK, so what DO Ds and Rs, or liberals and conservatives agree on? imaginethat Philosophy 62 April 16th, 2013 10:12 PM
What conservatives and liberals believe alias Americas 5 November 19th, 2006 08:35 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.