Political Forums
Forum Notice

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Talk

Political Talk Political Talk Forum - Discuss and debate politics


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:40 PM   #1
Nightrider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Our best and worst Presidents

Here is my ranking of the best five and worst five presidents we've ever had:



Best Five (1 being the greatest):

1) Abraham Lincoln

2) George Washington

3) Teddy Roosevelt

4) John Adams

5) Thomas Jefferson



Worst Five (1 being the worst):

1) Bill Clinton

2) Barack Obama

3) George W. Bush

4) Jimmy Carter

5) Richard Nixon



I think there is a clear trend here - we are obviously dumbing down as a nation in modern times and are nowhere close to being the great and free nation we once were. . .
 
Remove Ads
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Nomad
 
fxashun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ga
Posts: 23,113
Whassup Night. You move yet? And to stay on topic. You put Clinton on top as the worst? Wow!!! And Obama doesn't deserve to be on the worst list yet...does he?
fxashun is offline  
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:49 PM   #3
Eyes Wide Open
 
waitingtables's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 39,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxashun
Whassup Night. You move yet? And to stay on topic. You put Clinton on top as the worst? Wow!!! And Obama doesn't deserve to be on the worst list yet...does he?


I don't think he deserves to be on it yet, and honestly, he can't be yet. That is still a work in progress. Nixon and Bush get a better score than Carter, Obama and Clinton? And Clinton as the worst? Really? He may have had his issues, but the worst? I can't agree with that.





I'll have to think abotu mine for a little while.
waitingtables is offline  
Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
tristanrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 16,070
How can Obama be the second worst president?



He hasn't even been president for a year yet.
tristanrobin is offline  
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:13 PM   #5
Nightrider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
(Will address all posts at once)



Hi Fx,



No, I haven't moved yet - should be doing that soon, however. . .



As far as Obama goes, I'm a libertarian (meaning that I think in terms of big govt. vs. small govt.). Since I don't like the direction our govt. is going (so far), I placed him on my "worst" list. That being said, yes, he does have the potential to move off the list. In other words, it is like the world golf rankings - a player starts out at the bottom (Tiger Woods, for instance), then if he has talent and plays well, he moves up the list. I just don't see that happening with Obama. . . that is only my opinion, however (it is also my opinion comparing Obama to someone like Tiger or any other golfer).



Tables and Tristan - hope that response satisfies y'all, as well.
 
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:08 PM   #6
man
 
onthefence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: laying on the fence
Posts: 5,820
Nightrider welcome back!
onthefence is offline  
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:12 PM   #7
Your Own Moderator
 
pensacola_niceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 24,904
I pick Rutherford B. Hayes as having the best facial hair:



pensacola_niceman is offline  
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:34 PM   #8
Your Own Moderator
 
pensacola_niceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 24,904
I think your list shows a lack of knowledge of the lesser known presidents. James Buchanan is definitely one of the worst presidents. His policies further alienated the politicians of the North and the South and many believe he was at least partially responsible for the outbreak of the Civil War.



His handling of the crisis preceding the Civil War has led to his consistent ranking by historians as one of the worst Presidents in American history.



Buchanan personally favored slaveowners' rights and he sympathized with the slave-expansionists who coveted Cuba



pensacola_niceman is offline  
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:37 PM   #9
Nightrider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensacola_niceman
I pick Rutherford B. Hayes as having the best facial hair:





And the ugliest has GOT to be LBJ. . .



 
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:54 PM   #10
Nightrider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensacola_niceman
I think your list shows a lack of knowledge of the lesser known presidents. James Buchanan is definitely one of the worst presidents. His policies further alienated the politicians of the North and the South and many believe he was at least partially responsible for the outbreak of the Civil War.



His handling of the crisis preceding the Civil War has led to his consistent ranking by historians as one of the worst Presidents in American history.



Buchanan personally favored slaveowners' rights and he sympathized with the slave-expansionists who coveted Cuba





Yes, I know about Buchanan and his ineffectiveness (I have an associates in History) - I would probably rank him #6 or #7 on my "worst list" - it is obviously impossible to list everyone who did a bad job on a list of just five. . .



Does Buchanan deserve to be ranked as a worse president than Clinton or George W. Bush? Maybe.



But then again, that's like arguing over what is deadlier - a cobra or a coral snake. It just doesn't matter - both types of snakes will kill.



In other words, you can mix up the rankings of the "worst presidents" we've had all you want. The simple fact remains - a snake is still a snake.
 
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:53 PM   #11
Your Own Moderator
 
pensacola_niceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 24,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightrider
Yes, I know about Buchanan and his ineffectiveness (I have an associates in History) - I would probably rank him #6 or #7 on my "worst list" - it is obviously impossible to list everyone who did a bad job on a list of just five. . .



Does Buchanan deserve to be ranked as a worse president than Clinton or George W. Bush? Maybe.



But then again, that's like arguing over what is deadlier - a cobra or a coral snake. It just doesn't matter - both types of snakes will kill.



In other words, you can mix up the rankings of the "worst presidents" we've had all you want. The simple fact remains - a snake is still a snake.
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to insult your knowledge of American history. I guess the laundry list of bad president exceeds 5. I do think you are spot on with your best presidents list.
pensacola_niceman is offline  
Old July 3rd, 2009, 05:58 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
tristanrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 16,070
Well, if you're going to list people who havent even had a chance to be "presidential" yet, you might as well add every body on this forum to the worst list.
tristanrobin is offline  
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:08 AM   #13
Your Own Moderator
 
pensacola_niceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 24,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanrobin
Well, if you're going to list people who havent even had a chance to be "presidential" yet, you might as well add every body on this forum to the worst list.
I definitely agree that it's way premature to say Obama is one of the worst presidents.
pensacola_niceman is offline  
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:11 AM   #14
Your Own Moderator
 
pensacola_niceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 24,904
I vote Thomas Dewey as the president with the worst facial hair:



pensacola_niceman is offline  
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:30 AM   #15
Nightrider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanrobin
Well, if you're going to list people who havent even had a chance to be "presidential" yet, you might as well add every body on this forum to the worst list.


Lol, Tristan - you are sort of getting off topic, but I definitely agree with your point.



In golfing terms - Obama is "Tiger Woods" and the rest of us play the Hooter's tour. In fact, I'll take that one step further - we are weekend hacks compared to him.



As I said earlier, that list is only my opinion (and what are opinions worth nowadays??) and I remain just another average Joe who votes.



I would just be curious, however, to see some other peoples' lists - who they think are the best and worst presidents. I will respond as long as the debate remains civil and lighthearted. . .
 
Old July 3rd, 2009, 09:44 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
jaaaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas
Posts: 1,670
Hello Nightrider...



Worst President? Jimmy Carter... followed closely by slick Willie.



Best President? Ronald Reagan.





Edited to add: If things continue on their present course, Obama may end up being the worst President in history... him and his goofball sidekick.
jaaaman is offline  
Old July 3rd, 2009, 09:51 AM   #17
Your Own Moderator
 
pensacola_niceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 24,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaaman
Hello Nightrider...



Worst President? Jimmy Carter... followed closely by slick Willie.



Best President? Ronald Reagan.





Edited to add: If things continue on their present course, Obama may end up being the worst President in history... him and his goofball sidekick.
I agree with your assessment of Jimmy Carter and Reagan. I don't understand why you want to label Obama as the worst since he's only be in office 6 months
pensacola_niceman is offline  
Old July 3rd, 2009, 09:57 AM   #18
Nomad
 
fxashun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ga
Posts: 23,113
Between the healthcare, stimulus and cap and trade, he may be setting up one of the highest rates of taxation this nation has ever known.
fxashun is offline  
Old July 3rd, 2009, 09:57 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
jaaaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas
Posts: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensacola_niceman
I don't understand why you want to label Obama as the worst since he's only be in office 6 months


I said if things continue on their present course that I believe he might be the worst President ever.
jaaaman is offline  
Old July 3rd, 2009, 10:47 AM   #20
Nightrider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaaman
Hello Nightrider...



Worst President? Jimmy Carter... followed closely by slick Willie.



Best President? Ronald Reagan.





Edited to add: If things continue on their present course, Obama may end up being the worst President in history... him and his goofball sidekick.


Hello jaaaman,



It is good to see you again and I totally agree with you about Obama!



I just hope that Obama does not have health problems, or we'll have to deal with "Joe the Mouth" Biden. . .



ps - Reagan would probably come in 6th or 7th on my "best" list.
 
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Talk

Tags
presidents, worst


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10 Reasons Why Barack Obama Is one Of The Worst Presidents In American History. Politicskid Politicians 623 December 12th, 2013 09:23 AM
Presidents and the economy: Who was best, worst? Take the quiz! imaginethat Economics 1 November 7th, 2012 06:14 AM
Advice From Past Presidents.... Zack Political Humor 6 December 8th, 2010 06:59 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.