Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Talk

Political Talk Political Talk Forum - Discuss and debate politics


Thanks Tree11Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2017, 05:44 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 53,926
The GOP inherits what Trump has wrought

A longtime friend who incredibly voted for Trump has become an asshole, and turned on me. I feel like I've lost a brother. But that's what Trump has done: Given people "permission" to follow their basest instincts, i.e. be an asshole.

Quote:
The GOP inherits what Trump has wrought

The darker forces that propelled President Trump’s rise are beginning to frame and define the rest of the Republican Party.

When GOP House candidate Greg Gianforte assaulted a reporter who had attempted to ask him a question Wednesday night in Montana, many saw not an isolated outburst by an individual, but the obvious, violent result of Trump’s charge that journalists are “the enemy of the people.” Nonetheless, Gianforte won Thursday’s special election to fill a safe Republican seat.

“Respectfully, I’d submit that the president has unearthed some demons,” Rep. Mark Sanford (R-S.C.) said. “I’ve talked to a number of people about it back home. They say, ‘Well, look, if the president can say whatever, why can’t I say whatever?’ He’s given them license.”

...Charlie Sykes, a conservative former talk-show host in Wisconsin and author of the forthcoming “How the Right Lost Its Mind,” said “every time something like Montana happens, Republicans adjust their standards and put an emphasis on team loyalty. They normalize and accept previously unacceptable behavior.”....
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.e448f9c40607
Thanks from tristanrobin and Camelot
imaginethat is offline  
Old May 26th, 2017, 06:25 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
A longtime friend who incredibly voted for Trump has become an asshole, and turned on me. I feel like I've lost a brother. But that's what Trump has done: Given people "permission" to follow their basest instincts, i.e. be an asshole.



https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.e448f9c40607
Nonsense, we cleared our throats, and are talking back, disseminating the idiotic liberal utopian dreams of socialism. Keep pushing your darkness though it will lead to a cleansing of our country. Socialism is nothing but thievery, and slavery, with the government as master.
Sensible is offline  
Old May 26th, 2017, 07:23 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 53,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
Nonsense, we cleared our throats, and are talking back, disseminating the idiotic liberal utopian dreams of socialism. Keep pushing your darkness though it will lead to a cleansing of our country. Socialism is nothing but thievery, and slavery, with the government as master.
You provide a good example of what Trump has unleashed. You "excuse" Gianforte's assholery as "clearing our throats."

You and your kin are the products of eight years of anger, hatred, and accepting lies told to support both.

You're one of the members of society who believe straight capitalism or straight socialism is a viable form of economics and government, and you, your buddies on the right, and your adversaries on the left couldn't be more wrong.
Thanks from Camelot
imaginethat is offline  
Old May 26th, 2017, 08:45 AM   #4
Commie Exposer
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 38,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
You provide a good example of what Trump has unleashed. You "excuse" Gianforte's assholery as "clearing our throats."

You and your kin are the products of eight years of anger, hatred, and accepting lies told to support both.

You're one of the members of society who believe straight capitalism or straight socialism is a viable form of economics and government, and you, your buddies on the right, and your adversaries on the left couldn't be more wrong.
I cannot defend or condemn Gianforte's actions. The cause is vague. Just speculation, assuming that the reporter was aggressive and in the face of Gianforte in his office or somewhere similar, I can defend his actions. If the reporter was that aggressive and rude in Gianforte's private space, that is indicative of how devoid of boundaries we have become. Sometimes lines and bondaries need to be reset as when situations reach critical mass, critical actions are required. Just speculation again, assuming the reporter was respectful on Gianforte's turf, and Gianforte was just having a bad day, then there is no excusing his actions.

This was a schoolyard scuffle compared to other events in history, especially regarding one's honor or the honor of someone else. On May 22, 1856, Representative Preston Brooks beat Senator Charles Sumner unconscious with his cane over honor. The story is interesting: link
Jimmyb is offline  
Old May 26th, 2017, 10:11 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
tristanrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 21,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
I cannot defend or condemn Gianforte's actions.
If you can't condemn it, there's something wrong with you.
Thanks from Clara007
tristanrobin is offline  
Old May 26th, 2017, 10:17 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 53,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
I cannot defend or condemn Gianforte's actions. The cause is vague. Just speculation, assuming that the reporter was aggressive and in the face of Gianforte in his office or somewhere similar, I can defend his actions. If the reporter was that aggressive and rude in Gianforte's private space, that is indicative of how devoid of boundaries we have become. Sometimes lines and bondaries need to be reset as when situations reach critical mass, critical actions are required. Just speculation again, assuming the reporter was respectful on Gianforte's turf, and Gianforte was just having a bad day, then there is no excusing his actions.

This was a schoolyard scuffle compared to other events in history, especially regarding one's honor or the honor of someone else. On May 22, 1856, Representative Preston Brooks beat Senator Charles Sumner unconscious with his cane over honor. The story is interesting: link
This isn't a comparative history discussion Jimmy.
Fox News reporter Alicia Acuna, field producer Faith Mangan and photographer Keith Railey witnessed the incident at Gianforte’s campaign headquarters in Montana, according to an account published on the Fox News website. After Jacobs asked Gianforte his question, Acuna wrote: “Gianforte grabbed Jacobs by the neck with both hands and slammed him into the ground behind him.

“Faith, Keith and I watched in disbelief as Gianforte then began punching the man, as he moved on top the reporter and began yelling something to the effect of ‘I’m sick and tired of this!’ … To be clear, at no point did any of us who witnessed this assault see Jacobs show any form of physical aggression toward Gianforte, who left the area after giving statements to local sheriff’s deputies.”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...jacobs-montana
Thanks from Camelot
imaginethat is offline  
Old May 26th, 2017, 10:17 AM   #7
Commie Exposer
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 38,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanrobin View Post
If you can't condemn it, there's something wrong with you.
Why? Do you have all the facts? My statements were predicated on speculation for either case.

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth--Mike Tyson.

I have no problem with someone re-setting boundaries if there is cause. These reporters are snowflakes who are indicative of the everybody gets a trophy generation and having no respect for boundaries or people.
Thanks from Sabcat
Jimmyb is offline  
Old May 26th, 2017, 10:19 AM   #8
Commie Exposer
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 38,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
This isn't a comparative history discussion Jimmy.
Fox News reporter Alicia Acuna, field producer Faith Mangan and photographer Keith Railey witnessed the incident at Gianforte’s campaign headquarters in Montana, according to an account published on the Fox News website. After Jacobs asked Gianforte his question, Acuna wrote: “Gianforte grabbed Jacobs by the neck with both hands and slammed him into the ground behind him.

“Faith, Keith and I watched in disbelief as Gianforte then began punching the man, as he moved on top the reporter and began yelling something to the effect of ‘I’m sick and tired of this!’ … To be clear, at no point did any of us who witnessed this assault see Jacobs show any form of physical aggression toward Gianforte, who left the area after giving statements to local sheriff’s deputies.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...jacobs-montana
I do not believe anyone saw what caused it, just the end result. My reference of 1856 was not a comparison as it dealt with honor, just an interesting historical aside regarding scuffles in Congress
Jimmyb is offline  
Old May 26th, 2017, 02:43 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
tristanrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 21,364
I don't recall that incident from seven years ago at all.

Please provide links to the threads.

Your little spiel is worthless.
tristanrobin is offline  
Old May 26th, 2017, 03:06 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 6,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonesome Dove View Post
I just used this site's search feature, searching for the name of Bob Etheridge, the Democrat Congressman who had assaulted a student journalist in 2010. I found a thread:

Congressman apologizes for on-camera confrontation

I saw at least two posts by you, neither of which seemed to condemn Etheridge, nor did I note much condemnation by any posters of that incident.

There are quite a few differences between the Etheridge altercation AND the Gianforte take down. 1) Etheridge was walking down the street minding his own business. 2) Etheridge asked the reporter to identify himself which the kid refused to do--repeatedly. Why? 3) Etheridge was already an elected congressman.

Gianforte was on the campaign trail and in a Q/A situation. Gianforte knew exactly who the reporter was and it was perfectly appropriate for the reporter to ask questions. The reporter was taken to the hospital with injuries because he was BODY SLAMMED---not because somebody held his hand.
Gianforte was arrested, booked for assault and STILL won the special election and did NOT apologize until after he was elected.
I do not condone Etheridge but the situations were very different.
Clara007 is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Talk

Tags
gop, inherits, trump, wrought



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trump Inherits The Obama Boom skews13 Current Events 35 January 31st, 2017 11:58 AM
ANTI-TRUMP PROTESTERS Admit Answering Craigslist Ad and Getting Paid to Protest Trump Boo Current Events 108 April 6th, 2016 07:32 AM
Culture Failure Wrought CIA Suicide Bomb intangible child Warfare 0 June 4th, 2010 10:43 AM
New secretary of state inherits unpredictable world CNN Current Events 1 January 2nd, 2009 07:25 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.