Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Talk

Political Talk Political Talk Forum - Discuss and debate politics


Thanks Tree26Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 8th, 2017, 04:20 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
baloney_detector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 4,914
"Mankind likes to think in terms of extreme opposites. It is given to formulating its beliefs in terms of Either-Ors, between which it recognizes no intermediate possibilities. When forced to recognize that the extremes cannot be acted upon, it is still inclined to hold that they are all right in theory but that when it comes to practical matters circumstances compel us to compromise."


"Experience and Education"
John Dewey
Thanks from Gordy
baloney_detector is offline  
Old November 8th, 2017, 05:33 PM   #22
The Token Black Guy
 
Gordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MD
Posts: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Roman View Post
No, it's fear. It's simple fear. Fear drives the mills of modern man. It's all about fear. On the right, it's fear of being driven to extinction and fear of the loss of society, of culture, and of civilization. On the left, it's fear of turning back the clock, fear of resistance. Quite honestly, both sides are in fear of breaking from the pack.
It's fear. However, this "us vs them" mentality that Sabcat brings up comes from being afraid of what the other side is going to do.

Last edited by Gordy; November 8th, 2017 at 05:41 PM.
Gordy is offline  
Old November 8th, 2017, 05:36 PM   #23
The Token Black Guy
 
Gordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MD
Posts: 2,747
Seems like we all agree on this topic.

As far as I'm concerned, I can't deal with any of it. If anyone has ever read the novel "Invisible Man" by Ralph Ellison, that's pretty much how I feel. Just completely done with politics due to my experiences with all sides involved: liberals, conservatives, the far-left, far-right, and even BLM. Just want to hide out somewhere and just live my life away from it all.

Every time I think about politics I get angry and depressed. I'm tired of being in that state of mind. I still have a particular way of viewing the world, but I don't engage with the political scene at all. It does absolutely nothing for me.

Last edited by Gordy; November 8th, 2017 at 05:41 PM.
Gordy is offline  
Old November 8th, 2017, 06:45 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 9,203
I read in Scott Adam's blog that since Bill Clinton, the people who voted for the guy who won, think he's doing a pretty good job, the people who voted for the guy who lost, think the guy who won is the worst ever.
That was true about Clinton, Bush, Obama and Trump.
It wasn't true before them.

It started with Clinton, it was a Republican strategy to start with, but it continued with Bush, and Obama and Trump, because it works, it's a paradigm shift.
It's the way the system works now, and going forward until the next paradigm shift.

My congressman is a young guy, he says there's a big divide now, between the young guys (both parties) and the old guys.

He says there might be a revolt if they get enough mass.
Young guys taking the leadership, and shifting the paradigm.
Something has got to change, because the current course is unsustainable.
goober is offline  
Old November 8th, 2017, 10:46 PM   #25
alea iacta est
 
04960319's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: nunya
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
Careful Icarus
Icarus' folly wasnt hubris, but a lack of foresight.
04960319 is offline  
Old November 8th, 2017, 10:57 PM   #26
alea iacta est
 
04960319's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: nunya
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Oh no it's definitely fear. Everybody involved is afraid of something as Peter pointed out.
The tendency of the centrist to label the radical as fearful is the most prominent example of projection. Every man is fearful in the sense that he fears the failure of his desires. To have a personal philosophy predicated upon a generalized conception of fear is a pretty big distinction, however. The fact of the matter is that the most fearful of all are those who preach the subduing of man's principles, for they cower from their own hands. Fence riders are notoriously yellow. In an effort to avoid action they decry conflict, and thus give credence to all viewpoints, which is an abject rejection of the nature of living. For sentience requires the processing of information about the world around you. He who runs away from this burden of living is unthinking, and thus philosophically dead. It's no wonder people find wishy-washy people repulsive, for they've cried out to the world that they are dead men walking.
04960319 is offline  
Old November 9th, 2017, 05:51 PM   #27
The Token Black Guy
 
Gordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MD
Posts: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04960319 View Post
The tendency of the centrist to label the radical as fearful is the most prominent example of projection. Every man is fearful in the sense that he fears the failure of his desires. To have a personal philosophy predicated upon a generalized conception of fear is a pretty big distinction, however. The fact of the matter is that the most fearful of all are those who preach the subduing of man's principles, for they cower from their own hands. Fence riders are notoriously yellow. In an effort to avoid action they decry conflict, and thus give credence to all viewpoints, which is an abject rejection of the nature of living. For sentience requires the processing of information about the world around you. He who runs away from this burden of living is unthinking, and thus philosophically dead. It's no wonder people find wishy-washy people repulsive, for they've cried out to the world that they are dead men walking.
Well, I wasn't defending centrists lol. Everyone who is political is fearful of something.The right is fearful of losing their society and traditions; the left is fearful of returning to a dark past, etc. Fear isn't a mental deficiency. It's a normal human emotion.
Gordy is offline  
Old November 9th, 2017, 10:30 PM   #28
alea iacta est
 
04960319's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: nunya
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Well, I wasn't defending centrists lol. Everyone who is political is fearful of something.The right is fearful of losing their society and traditions; the left is fearful of returning to a dark past, etc. Fear isn't a mental deficiency. It's a normal human emotion.
>Having emotions in 2k17

Lol
Thanks from Gordy
04960319 is offline  
Old November 10th, 2017, 11:32 AM   #29
The Posters of Meh
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North Texas
Posts: 4,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
I read in Scott Adam's blog that since Bill Clinton, the people who voted for the guy who won, think he's doing a pretty good job, the people who voted for the guy who lost, think the guy who won is the worst ever.
That was true about Clinton, Bush, Obama and Trump.
It wasn't true before them.

It started with Clinton, it was a Republican strategy to start with, but it continued with Bush, and Obama and Trump, because it works, it's a paradigm shift.
It's the way the system works now, and going forward until the next paradigm shift.

My congressman is a young guy, he says there's a big divide now, between the young guys (both parties) and the old guys.

He says there might be a revolt if they get enough mass.
Young guys taking the leadership, and shifting the paradigm.
Something has got to change, because the current course is unsustainable.
I disagree. This has been a feature since the birth of of our party system.
Thanks from Sabcat and Gordy
Panther is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Talk

Tags
binary, endangers, politics, thinking



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's Tuesday. Time for the regressive news. Scotland the brave & Non-Binary Sabcat Progressivism 5 November 1st, 2016 04:55 PM
A Thinking Man RNG Political Humor 3 September 13th, 2016 11:45 AM
Negative Thinking is NOT Critical Thinking coberst Philosophy 5 September 24th, 2009 12:03 PM
CT (Critical Thinking) and politics coberst Philosophy 0 February 8th, 2008 04:10 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.