Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Talk

Political Talk Political Talk Forum - Discuss and debate politics


Thanks Tree20Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3rd, 2017, 03:19 PM   #11
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: In a house
Posts: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
In the wee small hours of the morning, the Senate voted on a tax bill that few had read. WHY? Because it was being amended (with cursive writing) right up to the very end.
Promises were being sold and bought by the GOP senators who were on the line...but eventually they got what they wanted (for the most part) and the bill passed 51-49.

"The 51 to 49 vote came after Senate Republicans frantically rewrote the multi-trillion dollar legislation behind closed doors to win over several final holdouts, and left congressional Republicans just a few steps away from sending legislation to President Donald Trump’s desk. The House passed its own plan in November.

Sen. Bob Corker of Tennessee was the only Republican to oppose the measure, in what’s also a big victory for Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), who repeatedly fell short in his efforts to push through an Obamacare repeal measure this year.

“I think one reason we were able to get there was because there’s widespread interest,” McConnell said in an interview with POLITICO. “Every single member of our conference wanted to get to yes, and all but one did.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...blicans-274453

A look at some of the last minute changes:

The Senate is about to vote on a tax bill few have read - CNNPolitics
The Republicans obviously learned from the democrats.
BS Filter is offline  
Old December 3rd, 2017, 04:03 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by BS Filter View Post
The Republicans obviously learned from the democrats.


Oh. Did the GOP have numerous bipartisan hearings? Did the GOP call witnesses before the bipartisan hearings? Did the GOP post the tax bill online 30 days before the first vote? Did the GOP post the bill online 72 hours before the final vote?
Clara007 is offline  
Old December 3rd, 2017, 04:22 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Polari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Britton, SD
Posts: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
Not even close. Your talking point should have been deemed the "Lie of the Year". The Dems were extremely transparent when drafting the bill.
There were 79 hearings (all bipartisan). 181 Witnesses during the 100 hours of hearings. AND the bill was posted online 30 days before the first vote...and I know that to be true because I attempted to read the "thing" online.

In addition the final draft was posted online 72 hours before the vote.

Speed-reading the health care reform bill? | PolitiFact
You missed the sarcasm, isn’t it great the average citizen can’t even read and understand the laws that govern him...
Thanks from Sabcat and Clara007
Polari is offline  
Old December 3rd, 2017, 09:09 PM   #14
I'm debt free
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 34,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
In the wee small hours of the morning, the Senate voted on a tax bill that few had read. WHY? Because it was being amended (with cursive writing) right up to the very end.
Promises were being sold and bought by the GOP senators who were on the line...but eventually they got what they wanted (for the most part) and the bill passed 51-49.

"The 51 to 49 vote came after Senate Republicans frantically rewrote the multi-trillion dollar legislation behind closed doors to win over several final holdouts, and left congressional Republicans just a few steps away from sending legislation to President Donald Trump’s desk. The House passed its own plan in November.

Sen. Bob Corker of Tennessee was the only Republican to oppose the measure, in what’s also a big victory for Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), who repeatedly fell short in his efforts to push through an Obamacare repeal measure this year.

“I think one reason we were able to get there was because there’s widespread interest,” McConnell said in an interview with POLITICO. “Every single member of our conference wanted to get to yes, and all but one did.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...blicans-274453

A look at some of the last minute changes:

The Senate is about to vote on a tax bill few have read - CNNPolitics
The Tax bill no one read was Obamacare.

now the GOP tax bill has been on line for several weeks. OOPS
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Old December 3rd, 2017, 09:47 PM   #15
M(A)GA
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 23,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polari View Post
You missed the sarcasm, isn’t it great the average citizen can’t even read and understand the laws that govern him...
Dude, you gotta pass them to know whats in them...jeesh.
Sabcat is online now  
Old December 4th, 2017, 04:16 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
The Tax bill no one read was Obamacare.

now the GOP tax bill has been on line for several weeks. OOPS


AND yet you don't provide a link to back up your statement?? Your comment is interesting considering the Dem Senators didn't get a copy of the final bill (except from lobbyists) until an hour or two before it passed because the GOP was making changes (some scribbled on the pages).

So HOW could it be online for several weeks??
Clara007 is offline  
Old December 4th, 2017, 07:49 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 56,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
AND yet you don't provide a link to back up your statement?? Your comment is interesting considering the Dem Senators didn't get a copy of the final bill (except from lobbyists) until an hour or two before it passed because the GOP was making changes (some scribbled on the pages).

So HOW could it be online for several weeks??
Your thread has served to once again show that the rightists have wrapped themselves in an alternative reality based on alternative facts, and actual facts just bounce off of 'em.

Nobody had any chance whatsoever to even begin to try to read ACA or provide any input into it. It was all ramrodded through Congress by the evil Dems. And the communist Pelosi's comments put the cherry on top.

That's what really happened Clara. On the other hand, the Repub's tax plan resulted from a near-perfect public process in which everybody had more than ample time to read the bill and comment on it before its passage.

Everyone except liberals/socialists/communists knows the above is true, Clara, which explains your confusion regarding the actual events.......


That's what you're dealing with, what everyone is dealing with: a sizable portion of the electorate that has cut its ties to reality.
Thanks from tristanrobin and Clara007
imaginethat is online now  
Old December 4th, 2017, 07:57 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
tristanrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 22,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
... the rightists have wrapped themselves in an alternative reality based on alternative facts, and actual facts just bounce off of 'em ...
this is the very basis for the entire problem with politics in our nation
Thanks from Clara007
tristanrobin is offline  
Old December 4th, 2017, 11:10 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Katmandu
Posts: 5,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
Oh. Did the GOP have numerous bipartisan hearings? Did the GOP call witnesses before the bipartisan hearings? Did the GOP post the tax bill online 30 days before the first vote? Did the GOP post the bill online 72 hours before the final vote?
The final ACA bill was voted on in the middle of a Sunday night, the final version wasn't posted 72 hours as promised.
Libertine is offline  
Old December 4th, 2017, 11:22 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
The final ACA bill was voted on in the middle of a Sunday night, the final version wasn't posted 72 hours as promised.


Back that statement up with facts/sources/links, please.
Thanks from imaginethat
Clara007 is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Talk

Tags
bill, read, tax



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obama on Senate bill: It's 'not a health care bill' Sabcat Political Humor 49 June 28th, 2017 03:09 AM
Bill Clinton’s lover tells how schemed to get her to LIE on 60 Minutes about Bill's Toto2 Current Events 5 June 10th, 2016 10:35 AM
Bill Clinton regrets 'three strikes' bill RNG Americas 15 July 17th, 2015 08:07 PM
Read Up Danjb25 Libertarian 18 May 2nd, 2012 10:49 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.