Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Talk

Political Talk Political Talk Forum - Discuss and debate politics


Thanks Tree64Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 24th, 2017, 04:18 AM   #1
I'm debt free
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 35,515
GOP may see big gains thanks to tax bill

How can a Democrat go out and tell their constituents that they voted against a bill that will cut their tax burden. The Tax cut will for the average tax payer equal to a $1/hour Raise..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

40 hours/week 52 weeks is 2068 hours the AVERAGE tax payer will see a 2200+ dollar tax cut
Thanks from Twisted Sister

Last edited by TNVolunteer73; December 24th, 2017 at 04:22 AM.
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Old December 24th, 2017, 04:46 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
How can a Democrat go out and tell their constituents that they voted against a bill that will cut their tax burden. The Tax cut will for the average tax payer equal to a $1/hour Raise..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

40 hours/week 52 weeks is 2068 hours the AVERAGE tax payer will see a 2200+ dollar tax cut


Well, you are right about one thing. Middle-class Americans will get a temporary tax cut....but you and your GOP must really think voters are stupid and some of them ARE stupid. But the ones who are NOT stupid see the bigger picture here and they don't like it. The most shocking part is that YOU don't see the bigger picture. So let me spell it out for you.

The intent of this law is not to serve the majority of the people, as one would expect in a republican democracy. Its primary focus is serving a small minority with the power to pass this new law. The GOP's critics always knew what the party stood for.

AND it gets worse. Here's a little story. Mitch McConnell's office is about 100 feet from the Senate floor. The DAY of the vote--all day-- there was a LONG LONG line of LOBBYists. The long long line snaked through the hallway. “Wall Street lobbyist after Wall Street lobbyist” went into McConnell’s office and left with tax provisions that would benefit their own companies.

Nearly half of all Americans opposed this bill because they understood the implications.
There were 12 House Republicans who voted NO on the tax bill.
Thanks from iolo and Camelot
Clara007 is offline  
Old December 24th, 2017, 05:35 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
Well, you are right about one thing. Middle-class Americans will get a temporary tax cut
I'm curious - why did you add in the word temporary, here? Is that in the OP, somehow? I don't see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
....but you and your GOP must really think voters are stupid and some of them ARE stupid. But the ones who are NOT stupid see the bigger picture here and they don't like it. The most shocking part is that YOU don't see the bigger picture. So let me spell it out for you.

The intent of this law is not to serve the majority of the people, as one would expect in a republican democracy. Its primary focus is serving a small minority with the power to pass this new law. The GOP's critics always knew what the party stood for.
You're claiming here that it goes against the majority of the people and that it favors some sort of "small minority", but you don't explain how or why, even with what you continue to say here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
AND it gets worse. Here's a little story. Mitch McConnell's office is about 100 feet from the Senate floor. The DAY of the vote--all day-- there was a LONG LONG line of LOBBYists. The long long line snaked through the hallway. “Wall Street lobbyist after Wall Street lobbyist” went into McConnell’s office and left with tax provisions that would benefit their own companies.

Nearly half of all Americans opposed this bill because they understood the implications.
There were 12 House Republicans who voted NO on the tax bill.
You didn't really spell anything out that supports your claims, or makes some sort of point. You need to explain what's wrong with the implications, here.

Just because there are some lobbyists lobbying for something, that in itself doesn't necessarily make it wrong, or unacceptable, or undesireable, or against someone else's interests.
Thanks from Jimmyb and Sabcat
Neil is offline  
Old December 24th, 2017, 05:52 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 10,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I'm curious - why did you add in the word temporary, here? Is that in the OP, somehow? I don't see that.


You're claiming here that it goes against the majority of the people and that it favors some sort of "small minority", but you don't explain how or why, even with what you continue to say here:


You didn't really spell anything out that supports your claims, or makes some sort of point. You need to explain what's wrong with the implications, here.

Just because there are some lobbyists lobbying for something, that in itself doesn't necessarily make it wrong, or unacceptable, or undesireable, or against someone else's interests.
Are you unaware that tax rates return to their current levels for most people by 2026, the loss of deductibility remains , that's a net tax increase for most people.
But the breaks put in there for say, New York Real Estate Developers to pick something at random, are permanent.
and the Trump Organization will benefit to the tune of about a billion dollars.

So enjoy your tax break while it lasts, take the missus to a nice restaurant, and spend it there. Because you'll be the one paying so Trump and his friends can duck Trillions in taxes....
Thanks from Clara007
goober is offline  
Old December 24th, 2017, 07:12 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
guy39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kekistan
Posts: 3,610
The BUSH tax cuts should be allowed to expire.

Now were going to bitch that the tax cuts expire.

The left has no agenda and no clue. They are nothing but shells who only plan is resist resist resist.
Thanks from Sabcat and Kelvin
guy39 is offline  
Old December 24th, 2017, 07:23 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 10,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy39 View Post
The BUSH tax cuts should be allowed to expire.

Now were going to bitch that the tax cuts expire.

The left has no agenda and no clue. They are nothing but shells who only plan is resist resist resist.
The government runs deficits and it runs surpluses, which exactly balance out in the long run.

So if everything is peachy, if unemployment is low, if business is good, shouldn't we be running a surplus? Why do we need trillions in stimulus spending if everything is hunky dory?
goober is offline  
Old December 24th, 2017, 08:08 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Are you unaware that tax rates return to their current levels for most people by 2026, the loss of deductibility remains , that's a net tax increase for most people.
But the breaks put in there for say, New York Real Estate Developers to pick something at random, are permanent.
and the Trump Organization will benefit to the tune of about a billion dollars.

So enjoy your tax break while it lasts, take the missus to a nice restaurant, and spend it there. Because you'll be the one paying so Trump and his friends can duck Trillions in taxes....
I'm not aware of the details of what's in this tax bill. That's why I haven't expressed any position on being in favor of it or opposed to it, and it's why I ask for clarification. I don't know where to go to find the original source to read what's in it, I haven't tried to look for that, and I don't know whether information such as what you mention comes from you directly reading the original content or whether you read an article in the media that made such claims. It's not that I don't believe you, only that I am the type of person who likes to be able to trace things back to the original or end source.

Can you guide me to the specific portions of the tax bill where it says that tax rates return to their current levels for most people by 2026 in the original text of the tax bill & that breaks are permanent for real estate developers? I'd like to check them out.

Let's just suppose that it is as you say, let's say that it will actually turn out to be only temporary for most people by 2026 and things for real estate developers are permanent; in that case yes, I do not agree with that. I think it should all be permanent. Where's the support for the political parties and candidates who will make it all permanent? Are there people who criticize the GOP for not going far enough supporting candidates and political parties that want to actually raise taxes? If so, why do they do that? That makes no sense.
Neil is offline  
Old December 24th, 2017, 08:13 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy39 View Post
The BUSH tax cuts should be allowed to expire.

Now were going to bitch that the tax cuts expire.

The left has no agenda and no clue. They are nothing but shells who only plan is resist resist resist.
Actually my thinking is that if anything ought to expire it should be tax rate raises. I'll even go one step further and say that taxes rates should never be raised.
Thanks from guy39 and Sabcat
Neil is offline  
Old December 24th, 2017, 08:46 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,239
Odd is how the Dems say this is a terrible Bill for the middle class and then bemoan that their tax rates will end in 10 years.

I see why many are so confused. Most media coverage has been all gloom and doom, with nothing concrete to back up the Dem claims that "only" the wealthy will benefit. CBS had their own "report" from accountants they had hired to determine 3 different families in 3 different states results of this tax Bill. ALL said those would get a savings...one of those was a single mother, making about $40,000 a year. Others were representative of a different make up and income levels.

CNN, this morning still has the same voices, saying the same thing....only the wealthy will be helped.
goodpen is online now  
Old December 24th, 2017, 08:53 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
BubbaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 7,181
Here's everything you need to know about the tax bill, the people who wrote it and voted for it.

ALL of the individual changes ARE TEMPORARY !!! They will need to be renewed or made permanent by some future congress.

ALL of the corporate changes are PERMANENT !!!
Thanks from Clara007
BubbaJones is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Talk

Tags
big, bill, gains, gop, tax



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Movement against superdelegates gains traction RNG Americas 5 May 7th, 2016 06:42 PM
GOP gains ground? roastpork Current Events 2 October 28th, 2014 03:20 PM
No Gains For Republicans Since Shutdown Camelot Current Events 28 December 15th, 2013 03:31 PM
emploment gains erased. pana8 Current Events 4 December 14th, 2013 06:49 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.