Defending The Truth Political Forum

Defending The Truth Political Forum (http://defendingthetruth.com/political-forums.php)
-   Political Talk (http://defendingthetruth.com/political-talk/)
-   -   Why Unhappy People Become Liberals (http://defendingthetruth.com/political-talk/64389-why-unhappy-people-become-liberals.html)

Sabcat January 22nd, 2018 02:23 PM

Why Unhappy People Become Liberals
 
Quote:



According to polls — Pew Research Center, the National Science Foundation — and studies such as Arthur Brooks’s Gross National Happiness, conservative Americans are happier than liberal Americans.

Liberals respond this way: “If we’re unhappier, it’s because we are more upset than conservatives over the plight of those less fortunate than ourselves.”

But common sense and data suggest other explanations.

For one thing, conservatives on the same socioeconomic level as liberals give more charity and volunteer more time than do liberals. And as regards the suffering of non-Americans, for at least half a century conservatives have been far more willing to sacrifice American treasure and American blood (often their own) for other nations’ liberty.

Both of these facts refute the liberals-are-more-concerned-about-others explanation for liberal unhappiness.

So, let’s look at other explanations.
Perhaps we are posing the question backwards when we ask why liberals are less happy than conservatives. The question implies that liberalism causes unhappiness. And while this is true, it may be equally correct to say that unhappy people are more likely to adopt leftist positions




Quote:


imagine two Americans living in essentially identical socioeconomic conditions. They earn $45,000 a year, they have the same amount of debt on their homes, and both have the same number of dependents. One seeks governmental assistance wherever possible; the other eschews any governmental help. Which one is likely to be the liberal and which one is likely to be the happier individual?

This is not a question only an oracle can answer. The one who yearns for governmental help is the one who is likely to be both liberal and less happy. Conservatism, which demands self-reliance, makes one happier. The more a man or woman feels like captain of his or her ship (as poor as that ship may be), the happier he or she will be.

A fourth explanation for greater unhappiness among liberals is that the more people allow feelings to govern them, the less happy they will be. And the further left one goes, the more importance one attaches to feelings. It is liberal educators and liberal parents who have clamored for protecting young people from the pain of losing games. The liberal world came up with the idea of giving trophies to kids who lose; they don’t want their children feeling bad. Conservatives, on the other hand, teach their kids how to lose well. They are less worried about their children feeling bad.

Read more at: | National Review



.

imaginethat January 22nd, 2018 04:12 PM

You can't trust polls.

Nwolfe35 January 22nd, 2018 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabcat (Post 1136477)
.

Conservatism demands self reliance.

That may have been true 30-40 years ago but it has not been true recently.

Sabcat January 22nd, 2018 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaginethat (Post 1136512)
You can't trust polls.

Doesn't change the argument

Sabcat January 22nd, 2018 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nwolfe35 (Post 1136522)
Conservatism demands self reliance.

That may have been true 30-40 years ago but it has not been true recently.



What makes you say that?


Individualist vs collectivist IMO is the best way to view it.

tristanrobin January 22nd, 2018 04:52 PM

Conservatives are simply happier right now than they were before because now they are able to vocally express their bigotry, prejudices and ignorant preconceived notions of 'pure' and 'patriotic' conduct.

Liberals were happier under Obama than they are now.

Arthur Brooks’s Gross National Happiness Poll is hardly something I'm going to use as a Life Guideline. If you're going to do so, more power to you.

Sabcat January 22nd, 2018 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tristanrobin (Post 1136529)
Conservatives are simply happier right now than they were before because now they are able to vocally express their bigotry, prejudices and ignorant preconceived notions of 'pure' and 'patriotic' conduct.

Liberals were happier under Obama than they are now.

Arthur Brooks’s Gross National Happiness Poll is hardly something I'm going to use as a Life Guideline. If you're going to do so, more power to you.

Leftists have always seemed like kinda miserable crowd to me. I think it has a lot to do w/ their inability to accept the world as it is and try to make the best of it.

webguy4 January 22nd, 2018 05:25 PM

Leftists base their lives on envy. They can not be genuinely happy except for brief moments of what they see as revenge on rich people.

Sabcat January 22nd, 2018 05:32 PM

Three people live in the same neighborhood. Two always buy modest, used cars but one always has a new Cadillac.

One neighbor says "nice car" and thinks to himself i would like to drive a new car maybe when i get a promotion i will buy one.

The other neighbor says "nice car" and thinks to himself life isn't fair that guy makes to much money to be spending on such frivolous things.

What neighbor is the leftist?

imaginethat January 22nd, 2018 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabcat (Post 1136526)
Doesn't change the argument

Yes it does.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:54 AM.


Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.