Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Talk

Political Talk Political Talk Forum - Discuss and debate politics


Thanks Tree83Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2018, 06:41 PM   #1
#freetommy
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 27,428
What if Roe were to get overturned?

Putting aside the same-ol-same-ol arguments like "abortion is a right" "abortion is a sin" and whatnot that never get anywhere as emotional arguments tend to do lets say for the sake of argument that it were to get overturned now what?

What do people see happening?



I would expect it to go back to the states (as i believe laws like this should) and very little would change. Maybe a few states would change the laws infavor of stricter policies but none of this sky is falling back ally malarkey.

Plus wonderful breakfast supplements RU-486 would still be readily available.
Thanks from Jimgorn
Sabcat is online now  
Old July 11th, 2018, 06:45 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
BubbaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 7,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
Putting aside the same-ol-same-ol arguments like "abortion is a right" "abortion is a sin" and whatnot that never get anywhere as emotional arguments tend to do lets say for the sake of argument that it were to get overturned now what?

What do people see happening?



I would expect it to go back to the states (as i believe laws like this should) and very little would change. Maybe a few states would change the laws infavor of stricter policies but none of this sky is falling back ally malarkey.

Plus wonderful breakfast supplements RU-486 would still be readily available.

Naaahhh, Left to the states the same sanctimonious, holier than thou assholes that will restrict abortion will restrict the alternatives as well.
Thanks from Camelot, Hollywood and Clara007
BubbaJones is offline  
Old July 11th, 2018, 07:11 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hell
Posts: 850
I'm neutral on abortion, but I do have something to say:

IF the pro-choice people are so confident that abortion is a right as guaranteed by the Constitution and BOR, why do they act as if Roe vs Wade is the Holy Grail and panic if it seems that conservatives may become dominant power in the SCOTUS? Is is because they know that legislating from the bench as they have been may just not be able to uphold once the SCOTUS actually concentrate on the Constitution instead of partisan politics as the liberal judges have been doing? Do pro-choice advocates have such little faith in the judicial system because that is what they do when they are in power?

Last edited by Marcus Livius; July 11th, 2018 at 08:25 PM.
Marcus Livius is offline  
Old July 11th, 2018, 07:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
BubbaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 7,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Livius View Post
I'm neutral on abortion, but I do have something to say:

IF the pro-choice people are so confident that abortion is a right as guaranteed by the Constitution and BOR, why do they act as if Roe vs Wade is the Holy Grail and panic if it seems that conservatives may become dominant power in the SCOTUS Is is because they know that legislating from the bench as they have been may just not be able to uphold once the SCOTUS actually concentrate on the Constitution instead of partisan politics as the liberal judges have been doing? Do pro-choice advocates have such little faith in the judicial system because that is what they do when they are in power?
Frankly Roe is a weak decision. Based on an assumed right under the fourth amendment. What SHOULD have been argued is under the First Amendment. The vast majority of anti-abortion people object on RELIGIOUS grounds. The first clearly says the government CAN NOT pass laws that support a religious point of view.
BubbaJones is offline  
Old July 11th, 2018, 08:16 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Citizen Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Rosebud
Posts: 138
It will be status quo ante.
Citizen Kane is offline  
Old July 11th, 2018, 08:30 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
guy39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kekistan
Posts: 4,273
The Supreme court is going to have to define, or put in place a clear set of rules to define, when life begins. Its not the day of conception, and its not just a clump of cells at 9 months.
Thanks from Sabcat and Jimgorn
guy39 is offline  
Old July 11th, 2018, 08:45 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Citizen Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Rosebud
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy39 View Post
The Supreme court is going to have to define, or put in place a clear set of rules to define, when life begins. Its not the day of conception, and its not just a clump of cells at 9 months.

IDK

Anyway, while science is so advanced now since that awful decision in 'Roe' et al, and we now know that we can show life beginning earlier and earlier (of course it begins at conception in reality), what is really needed is the schools to show the sanctity of life, that needs to be taught. And SCOTUS cannot mandate that.
Thanks from Braveheart
Citizen Kane is offline  
Old July 11th, 2018, 09:19 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaJones View Post
Frankly Roe is a weak decision. Based on an assumed right under the fourth amendment. What SHOULD have been argued is under the First Amendment. The vast majority of anti-abortion people object on RELIGIOUS grounds. The first clearly says the government CAN NOT pass laws that support a religious point of view.
By that logic, many laws would be unconstitutional. For example, there's the 5th commandment from Catholicism, "you shall not kill", and there are laws against murder, manslaughter, etc. Any laws that make it illegal to kill would have to be ruled unconstitutional since Catholicism is a religion. Another commandment from Catholicism, the 7th one, "you shall not steal." If there's a law that makes it a crime to steal, that would also be unconstitutional.

If that's all it takes, then all someone who doesn't like a law has to do is invent their own religion that has a rule that says the same thing that the law they don't like says, and by the remote control property of logic, tada, now it can be ruled unconstitutional.
Thanks from Sabcat
Neil is offline  
Old July 11th, 2018, 09:28 PM   #9
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 30,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
IDK

Anyway, while science is so advanced now since that awful decision in 'Roe' et al, and we now know that we can show life beginning earlier and earlier (of course it begins at conception in reality), what is really needed is the schools to show the sanctity of life, that needs to be taught. And SCOTUS cannot mandate that.
Depending on your definition of life.
Thanks from Clara007
RNG is offline  
Old July 11th, 2018, 11:36 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Earth
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
Putting aside the same-ol-same-ol arguments like "abortion is a right" "abortion is a sin" and whatnot that never get anywhere as emotional arguments tend to do lets say for the sake of argument that it were to get overturned now what?

What do people see happening?



I would expect it to go back to the states (as i believe laws like this should) and very little would change. Maybe a few states would change the laws infavor of stricter policies but none of this sky is falling back ally malarkey.

Plus wonderful breakfast supplements RU-486 would still be readily available.
If Roe V. Wade gets overturned the control freaks will push for the elimination of birth control pills and other methods of birth control. Of course the people who favor Roe v. Wade could reverse the reversal in the future once they get the upper hand.

The control freaks think by controlling abortion they will be able to get more butts in church pews in the future. They don't want to lose their income because of lack of customers.
Thanks from leekohler2
FrostKing is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Talk

Tags
overturned, roe



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oklahoma's Same-Sex Marriage Ban Overturned LongWinded Current Events 19 July 18th, 2014 09:45 PM
Prop 8 just overturned by federal judge! tristanrobin Gay and Lesbian Rights 97 August 5th, 2010 07:56 PM
Iowa Gary Marriage Ban Overturned tristanrobin Current Events 35 August 31st, 2007 12:38 PM
Roe vs. Wade should be overturned Steven M Abortion 77 September 20th, 2005 04:18 PM
Iowa Gary Marriage Ban Overturned Gay and Lesbian Rights 0 December 31st, 1969 04:00 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.