Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Politicians

Politicians For topics and discussions about politicians, political leaders, or political figures


Thanks Tree78Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8th, 2017, 07:31 PM   #131
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
Huh, I wonder why Apple is based in Ireland?

Just wait until Kansas drops thetax rate of Silicon Valley to like 5% or something.
Silicon Valley isn't there for the tax rate.
There is a reason that low tax states aren't overwhelmed with high tech companies, it's because of the better education that high taxes buy.
If you have a high tech company, you need well educated employees, and that's why high tech companies are located in high tax states.
Although some will move the legal entity to a low tax country, the bulk of the high tech development gets done in high tax areas.
goober is offline  
Old April 9th, 2017, 07:56 AM   #132
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 16,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefoot View Post
You lie, alcohol is not taxed as heavy as tobacco in California. Stay on task.
You apparently have very serious reading comprehension issues.
Did I say "AS heavily as tobacco in California" OR did i say "is heavily taxed?" Pay attention to what is actually being said.

Words have meanings, learn them. And then learn to use them properly would be my suggestion to you.
Hollywood is offline  
Old April 9th, 2017, 09:08 AM   #133
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Posts: 15,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Silicon Valley isn't there for the tax rate.
There is a reason that low tax states aren't overwhelmed with high tech companies, it's because of the better education that high taxes buy.
If you have a high tech company, you need well educated employees, and that's why high tech companies are located in high tax states.
Although some will move the legal entity to a low tax country, the bulk of the high tech development gets done in high tax areas.
Is that why Silicon valley has started it's exodus to Texas and other area's?
caconservative is offline  
Old April 9th, 2017, 10:08 AM   #134
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Earth
Posts: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Silicon Valley isn't there for the tax rate.
There is a reason that low tax states aren't overwhelmed with high tech companies, it's because of the better education that high taxes buy.
If you have a high tech company, you need well educated employees, and that's why high tech companies are located in high tax states.
Although some will move the legal entity to a low tax country, the bulk of the high tech development gets done in high tax areas.
I disagree with your assessment.

Do you live or do business in Silicone Valley? The bulk of the good pay high tech jobs are done by people from other states and countries. The only high pay highly educated field dominated by locals are the capital venture investment banks on Sand Hill Road, where it is who's who list of Standford MBA's. Some of my best friends are VC and from Standford, unfortunately most of the them were from other states and two were from India plus one from Korea when they came to attend Stanford, so it is more of a Stanford thing rather than a public school thing.

Public School systems here suck. We rank the shits:

Quote:
Nearly across the board in multiple categories graded by the magazine Education Week, California scored below the national average. California earned 69.9 out of 100 points. As a whole, the nation received a C. Massachusetts ranked at the top, followed by New Jersey, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maryland and Connecticut; all earned a B.

The state ranked 41st in conditions that help children succeed, 39th in school finance, and 30th in achievement.
Education: California ranks 10th to last

While many start-ups begin in Silicone Valley because it is almost a must as it is the center of high tech and venture capital startup money, many do move to other states once they get established. Apple still has a huge presence here, but is now headquartered in Ireland. I've been watching companies move to states such as North Carolina and Texas since about 2000.

Now, the trend is becoming where many of the workers are returning to their home states and even other countries because actual physical presence is no longer needed to do the work as high tech firms now rely a lot more on the internet.

I have a friend that works for Pixar that moved back to Vietnam about two years ago. Does everything by email, video and audio conference, etc. Gets paid Silicone Valley wage and lives like a king in Vietnam.
Thanks from caconservative and coke
Salinator1 is offline  
Old May 5th, 2017, 05:56 AM   #135
Senior Member
 
Toefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: No Name City
Posts: 684
California reaches for the stars wallet:

Home to the Mojave Air & Space Port and promising launch companies such as SpaceX and Virgin Orbit, California has a thriving rocket industry. Accordingly, the state is now looking into taxing this vibrant industry, and the Franchise Tax Board has issued a proposed regulation for public comment.

The proposal says that California-based companies that launch spacecraft will have to pay a tax based upon "mileage" traveled by that spacecraft from California. (No, we're not exactly sure what this means, either). The proposed regulations were first reported by the San Francisco Chronicle, and Thomas Lo Grossman, a tax attorney at the Franchise Tax Board, told the newspaper that the rules are designed to mirror the ways taxes are levied on terrestrial transportation and logistics firms operating in California, like trucking or train companies.


The tax board is seeking public input from now until June 16, when it is expected to vote on the proposed tax. The federal government already has its own taxes for commercial space companies, and until now no other state has proposed taxing commercial spaceflight. In fact most other states, including places like Florida, Texas, and Georgia, offer launch providers tax incentives to move business into their areas.

Phil Larson, a former Obama White House official who now is assistant dean of the University of Colorado's College of Engineering and Applied Science, told Ars that California is discriminating against rocket companies by doubly taxing them. He also noted that such a tax would impede California's ability to launch climate satellites, which Governor Jerry Brown has said he would do if President Trump cuts the ability of federal scientists to study Earth's climate.

Instead of such a tax, Larson said, California should work with industry to develop a system of taxation that encourages investment in the state. "The state could advance a proactive effort in the legislature to make sure that California doesnít end up at the back of the bus in the new space race by supporting a national framework for space innovation," Larson said.

LINKY: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sKa44BQ5xbMSnQ
Thanks from caconservative and Sabcat
Toefoot is offline  
Old May 5th, 2017, 07:20 AM   #136
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 20,485
Progressives are a very foolish bunch. They are constantly contradicting themselves. I never thought that a group could make the fundamentalists look like a logical, centered group.
Thanks from username
Sabcat is offline  
Old May 5th, 2017, 07:49 AM   #137
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
Progressives are a very foolish bunch. They are constantly contradicting themselves. I never thought that a group could make the fundamentalists look like a logical, centered group.
Progressives can. The Democrat party policies are nothing but one large contradiction. At least the Republicans are consistent with their bad ideas.
Thanks from caconservative and Sabcat
username is offline  
Old May 5th, 2017, 09:12 AM   #138
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Posts: 15,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daws77 View Post
That's not gonna happen until you stop writing/speaking in answering machine / fortune cookie non sequiturs.
As to the subject brown has been better for California than any of the previous governors since the 80s.
Delusional...much?!
Thanks from Toefoot
caconservative is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Politicians

Tags
brown, california, gov



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Schneider: Jerry Brown for California governor? CNN Current Events 3 October 14th, 2014 10:29 AM
Jerry Brown returns to lead a troubled California msnbc.com Current Events 2 February 28th, 2014 02:13 PM
Stop Gov. Brown from raiding California's budget for prison expansion. intangible child Current Events 8 August 30th, 2013 10:04 AM
Readout of the Presidentís Call to California Governor Jerry Brown The White House The White House 0 August 26th, 2013 09:51 AM
Schneider: Jerry Brown for California governor? Current Events 0 December 31st, 1969 04:00 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.