Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Politicians

Politicians For topics and discussions about politicians, political leaders, or political figures


Thanks Tree25Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1st, 2018, 08:27 AM   #21
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
I do not know that Obama was wrong to use "I statements". Using "I statements" is a recommended way to communicate and avoid igniting conflicts.

Can you give me an example of what you think is wrong with the way Obama spoke?
He is a narcissist!
Sensible is offline  
Old February 1st, 2018, 08:32 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Updike View Post
In the 2010 SOTU Obama referred to himself 140+ times.

Now the left says "we" was the royal "we". TDS alert!
I do not trust Trumps "we" because I know not everyone agrees with him. To me his "we" sounds like a power statement that is an exaggeration of fact, and also divisive because not all of us are part of his "we" so his "we" is drawing a line the sand and going to get push back from "those people" who are not part of his "we". I much prefer I statements that leave room for me to disagree with the speaker.
Athena is offline  
Old February 1st, 2018, 08:37 AM   #23
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
I do not trust Trumps "we" because I know not everyone agrees with him. To me his "we" sounds like a power statement that is an exaggeration of fact, and also divisive because not all of us are part of his "we" so his "we" is drawing a line the sand and going to get push back from "those people" who are not part of his "we". I much prefer I statements that leave room for me to disagree with the speaker.
He is the President of these United States, and should say we! He has a cabinet that he is giving props to, and also the American people!
Sensible is offline  
Old February 1st, 2018, 08:42 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
He is a narcissist!
Considering you do not understand the importance of making "I statements" your idea that people who do are narcissist makes sense.
Athena is offline  
Old February 1st, 2018, 08:48 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
tristanrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 23,305
He uses "we" in the royal sense.

"We" are not amused.

I am willing to admit that the time I was able to stand watching him applaud himself, he was the closest I've ever seen him to being bearable. Of course, teleprompter Trump and twitter/impromptu Trump are two VERY different things. If he could have just refrained from applauding himself constantly. It wasn't a good speech - but it wasn't terrible...at least as long as I lasted. It was just a litany of how wonderful he was, delivered in his usual arrogant, smug, self-satisfied, egotistical way. But, he wasn't belittling others. That's an improvement.

Of course, I've read that he's bragged about having the largest audience for a SOTU address in tv history - which has, of course, quickly been fact-checked and proved to be grossly overstated. Or, well, another hyuge lie.
tristanrobin is offline  
Old February 1st, 2018, 08:49 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
He is the President of these United States, and should say we! He has a cabinet that he is giving props to, and also the American people!
I am sorry but there is no way I want Trump speaking for me. I am extremely distressed by the effect he is having around the world, and I want the world to know, I do not stand with Trump. His use of true heroes was shameful. His use of fear to manipulate people is downright evil. His failure to read and be well informed before attempting to be our president is completely intolerable.

I am not part of his we, and I don't want any of my representatives to be part of his we. I am advising everyone to write their representatives and let them know, this other we, does not want our country restarting the arms race.
Thanks from Clara007
Athena is offline  
Old February 1st, 2018, 08:54 AM   #27
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Considering you do not understand the importance of making "I statements" your idea that people who do are narcissist makes sense.
Considering I know Obama is a narcissist, I don't care!

https://townhall.com/columnists/bens...order-n1280334
Sensible is offline  
Old February 1st, 2018, 08:59 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanrobin View Post
He uses "we" in the royal sense.

"We" are not amused.

I am willing to admit that the time I was able to stand watching him applaud himself, he was the closest I've ever seen him to being bearable. Of course, teleprompter Trump and twitter/impromptu Trump are two VERY different things. If he could have just refrained from applauding himself constantly. It wasn't a good speech - but it wasn't terrible...at least as long as I lasted. It was just a litany of how wonderful he was, delivered in his usual arrogant, smug, self-satisfied, egotistical way. But, he wasn't belittling others. That's an improvement.

Of course, I've read that he's bragged about having the largest audience for a SOTU address in tv history - which has, of course, quickly been fact-checked and proved to be grossly overstated. Or, well, another hyuge lie.
Most of my friends refused to watch him, but we think he is a dangerous man, and I think it is foolish not to watch him carefully and take appropriate actions, such letting our representatives know we do not want our country to reactivate the arms race.

We can support candidates around the country who stand against Trump. We can let all politicians know what we want and write letters to the editor, and use forums. Trump has the stage, but we can join the growing crowd outside the building and the voice of the many can drown out the voice of the one.

"We" are not "one of them" and we need to unite and turn things around. I am so sorry people did not watch him and learn what he intends to do. We should not stop watching this man. However, I have to admit as he went on and on with his fear mongering I couldn't stand it anymore and turned him off.

Last edited by imaginethat; February 1st, 2018 at 10:18 PM.
Athena is offline  
Old February 1st, 2018, 09:01 AM   #29
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 29,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
Well since the facts came from a study done I guess the facts are someone else's that I posted. Hmmm, seems like you like losing, so far behind you think you are in first place.
Who did the study?

Look at the text of the Republican President's SOTU speech and count the references to himself. It's that easy. And there were more than Obama used.

Facts.
RNG is offline  
Old February 1st, 2018, 09:07 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
Considering I know Obama is a narcissist, I don't care!

https://townhall.com/columnists/bens...order-n1280334
I think you are run by feelings, not reason. Caring is a feeling essential to learning. Someone who does not care to learn, maybe a concern.

Perhaps that is something we should talk about. Following a man who uses fear to attract followers, and enhance his personal power, is something we should be aware of, and understanding the people who follow this leader is something we should strive for. We have a problem and it is not just one man behaving like Hitler, but the multitude that follows him.
Thanks from Clara007
Athena is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Politicians

Tags
speech, trump



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trump's speech to Saudis angers both sides. GhostRider Americas 132 June 15th, 2017 07:39 AM
President Trump gave the best speech goodpen Current Events 16 March 2nd, 2017 02:17 PM
Trump's speech.... urbrother Americas 30 January 25th, 2017 06:04 AM
Trump's Big Immigration Speech RNG Americas 83 September 6th, 2016 05:32 AM
Mrs. Trump's Speech Copied From Michelle. Camelot Current Events 165 July 25th, 2016 07:12 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.