Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Politicians

Politicians For topics and discussions about politicians, political leaders, or political figures


Thanks Tree44Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2018, 10:12 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 11,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
And how many countries have the capability of making tritium?
Fast Breeder Reactor?
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old January 31st, 2018, 10:16 AM   #12
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Roosevelt said, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself".

Reagan said, "Mr. Gorbachev tear down this wall".

Fear is a tyrant. Those who partner with fear for the power of fear, are tyrants, if you like what that tyrant is doing for you or not.
Self defense, and common sense, is not fear.
Thanks from Jimgorn
Sensible is offline  
Old January 31st, 2018, 10:36 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NM
Posts: 1,848
Exploding metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena
And how many countries have the capability of making tritium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Sister View Post
Fast Breeder Reactor?
No, but it's an excellent question. Reading through the article @ Wikipedia above on tritium, it can be manufactured in a nuclear reactor. & apparently, it can be any kind of nuclear reactor - power or research. Most of the research reactors seem to be fairly small. The power reactors are likelier sources - but collecting the tritium (& processing & purifying & concentrating it to milstandard) & having a use for it - in nuclear weapons - would require a lot more expertise, equipment & care - if I'm reading the article correctly.
hoosier88 is offline  
Old January 31st, 2018, 02:53 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
BubbaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
Self defense, and common sense, is not fear.
We have enough nuclear weapons to destroy every living thing on the planet. That's just the US. Add in the rest of the countries with nukes and we can render this planet nothing more than a dead rock in a matter of hours.

WHY DO WE NEED MORE ???
BubbaJones is offline  
Old January 31st, 2018, 02:57 PM   #15
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 30,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaJones View Post
We have enough nuclear weapons to destroy every living thing on the planet. That's just the US. Add in the rest of the countries with nukes and we can render this planet nothing more than a dead rock in a matter of hours.

WHY DO WE NEED MORE ???
You silly person. Every good warmongering hawk knows that we need weapons that can make you deader than the bad guy's weapons.
Thanks from Clara007
RNG is offline  
Old January 31st, 2018, 03:09 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Lehigh Valley Pa.,USA
Posts: 8,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaJones View Post
We have enough nuclear weapons to destroy every living thing on the planet. That's just the US. Add in the rest of the countries with nukes and we can render this planet nothing more than a dead rock in a matter of hours.

WHY DO WE NEED MORE ???
Go ask Kim Jung Un.....The thread's OP is illogical....We are not upping the arms race....Kimmy is..... We are only letting the fat little shit know that if he foolishly starts something stupid we can end it and him in a hurry......

Another fallacy the left loves to use is this....That if Kimmy fires a nuke at us we will respond in kind......Not necessarily true.....We have more than enough conventional weapons to render North Korea into a parking lot..... Why would we want to unleash all that radioactivity to blow back over South Korea....Japan and eventually us..??....when a couple of MOABs and JDAMs will do just as well...
Jimgorn is offline  
Old January 31st, 2018, 03:18 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NM
Posts: 1,848
Walk towards the light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaJones View Post
We have enough nuclear weapons to destroy every living thing on the planet. That's just the US. Add in the rest of the countries with nukes and we can render this planet nothing more than a dead rock in a matter of hours.

WHY DO WE NEED MORE ???
Tritium? Because it decays. See the article on tritium above.

"Nuclear weapons[edit]

"Tritium is an important component in nuclear weapons. It is used to enhance the efficiency and yield of fission bombs and the fission stages of hydrogen bombs in a process known as "boosting" as well as in external neutron initiators for such weapons.

...

"The tritium in a warhead is continually undergoing radioactive decay, hence becoming unavailable for fusion. Furthermore its decay product, helium-3, absorbs neutrons if exposed to the ones emitted by nuclear fission. This potentially offsets or reverses the intended effect of the tritium, which was to generate many free neutrons, if too much helium-3 has accumulated from the decay of tritium. Therefore, it is necessary to replenish tritium in boosted bombs periodically. The estimated quantity needed is 4 grams per warhead.[3] To maintain constant levels of tritium, about 0.20 grams per warhead per year must be supplied to the bomb."

(My emphasis - more @ the URL)

Interesting reading, possibly more than you want to know about nuclear weapons (& some other uses).
hoosier88 is offline  
Old January 31st, 2018, 03:48 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
BubbaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier88 View Post
Tritium? Because it decays. See the article on tritium above.

"Nuclear weapons[edit]

"Tritium is an important component in nuclear weapons. It is used to enhance the efficiency and yield of fission bombs and the fission stages of hydrogen bombs in a process known as "boosting" as well as in external neutron initiators for such weapons.

...

"The tritium in a warhead is continually undergoing radioactive decay, hence becoming unavailable for fusion. Furthermore its decay product, helium-3, absorbs neutrons if exposed to the ones emitted by nuclear fission. This potentially offsets or reverses the intended effect of the tritium, which was to generate many free neutrons, if too much helium-3 has accumulated from the decay of tritium. Therefore, it is necessary to replenish tritium in boosted bombs periodically. The estimated quantity needed is 4 grams per warhead.[3] To maintain constant levels of tritium, about 0.20 grams per warhead per year must be supplied to the bomb."

(My emphasis - more @ the URL)

Interesting reading, possibly more than you want to know about nuclear weapons (& some other uses).
According to earlier posts we have plenty of tritium on hand AND we have the ability to create more as we need it. I would assume we have been, and are continuing, to maintain our nuclear arsenal. I'm fine with that. I just don't see where we need massive new investment in our nuclear weapon systems.

Like I said, we alone, with no help from any other country, can render the earth a dead rock. We don't need more, or more powerful, weapons when we can obliterate all life on the planet.
Thanks from Athena
BubbaJones is offline  
Old January 31st, 2018, 04:00 PM   #19
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaJones View Post
We have enough nuclear weapons to destroy every living thing on the planet. That's just the US. Add in the rest of the countries with nukes and we can render this planet nothing more than a dead rock in a matter of hours.

WHY DO WE NEED MORE ???
Well I for one would never want to see nukes used, however developing low yield nukes, may be a good place to start ratcheting back the possibility.
Sensible is offline  
Old January 31st, 2018, 04:02 PM   #20
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
You silly person. Every good warmongering hawk knows that we need weapons that can make you deader than the bad guy's weapons.
Maybe, just maybe, we can test them on Canada, make sure they do the job!
Sensible is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Politicians

Tags
nuclear, trump, war



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iran nuclear: Trump extends Obama's 'worst deal ever' RNG Current Events 4 May 18th, 2017 04:53 PM
In Call With Putin, Trump Denounced Obama-Era Nuclear Arms Treaty RNG Americas 0 February 9th, 2017 02:39 PM
n nuclear threat REDUCED to safest level following Donald Trump vic Sabcat Current Events 4 November 17th, 2016 08:07 PM
Defcon nuclear threat REDUCED to safest level following Donald Trump victory excalibur Current Events 1 November 15th, 2016 12:16 PM
Putin ally tells Americans: Vote Trump or face nuclear war imaginethat Current Events 78 October 14th, 2016 10:55 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.