Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Philosophy and Religion > Religion

Religion For discussion about belief systems, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to spirituality and moral values


Thanks Tree18Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 30th, 2017, 03:48 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 6,357
Hypocrite or Christian??

Pope Francis condemned the hypocrisy from Christians who are merciless to refugees and people of other faiths, addressing a gathering of a pilgrimage of Catholics and Lutherans from Germany, reports Catholic News Service.

Francis rebuked “the contradiction of those who want to defend Christianity in the West, and, on the other hand, are against refugees and other religions.”

Pope Francis: You cannot reject refugees and call yourself a Christian.

“This is not something I’ve read in books, but I see in the newspapers and on television every day,” Pope Francis said,”

“The sickness or, you can say the sin, that Jesus condemns most is hypocrisy, which is precisely what is happening when someone claims to be a Christian but does not live according to the teaching of Christ. You cannot be a Christian without living like a Christian,” he said.

“You cannot be a Christian without practicing the Beatitudes. You cannot be a Christian without doing what Jesus teaches us in Matthew 25,” a reference to what is known as the Parable of the Judgment or the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats.

“In putting ourselves at the service of the neediest,” Pope Francis said, “we will experience that we already are united; it is God’s mercy that unites us.”

Pope Francis: You cannot reject refugees and call yourself a Christian
Thanks from imaginethat, Hollywood and Daws77

Last edited by Clara007; January 30th, 2017 at 06:46 AM.
Clara007 is online now  
Old January 30th, 2017, 06:42 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 53,915
Clara, the world in general and the US in specific has turned away from the Beatitudes. The Beatitudes are pure nonsense to the worldly mind, no not nonsense, insanity.
You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.
Insanity.
You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven.
More insanity to the worldly mind. Do you remember the ridicule heaped on President Carter when he fessed up to doing this?
You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
Silly thing to admit to....

The Beatitudes are roundly ignored by "christians."
Thanks from Hollywood and Daws77
imaginethat is offline  
Old January 30th, 2017, 07:10 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 6,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
Clara, the world in general and the US in specific has turned away from the Beatitudes. The Beatitudes are pure nonsense to the worldly mind, no not nonsense, insanity.
You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.
Insanity.
You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven.
More insanity to the worldly mind. Do you remember the ridicule heaped on President Carter when he fessed up to doing this?
You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
Silly thing to admit to....

The Beatitudes are roundly ignored by "christians."

I know there are many on DTT who are non-believers. I know there are devout Christians on DTT. I know there are some who are still searching, so I admire those who will admit their beliefs--their doubts--their conclusions. What I can't abide are those who profess to be Christians and in the next breath expel the most hateful rhetoric, bias, vulgar, immoral claptrap I've ever heard.
The Beatitudes were on my mind as I scanned the news reports this morning, which is why I posted this. Our sermon yesterday was about blessings: being a blessing to others, recognizing a blessing when it comes to us, and being told that WE ARE each uniquely a blessing because of our Christian faith--IF we are truly walking the Christian walk....if we are role modeling the Christian doctrine, which includes every line in the Beatitudes. Our pastor was applauded (which RARELY happens in the Methodist church) when she ended the sermon yesterday.

I completely agree with Pope Francis. “The sickness or, you can say the sin, that Jesus condemns most is hypocrisy, which is precisely what is happening when someone claims to be a Christian but does not live according to the teaching of Christ. You cannot be a Christian without living like a Christian,” he said.

And here's another thing I don't understand. Why has this become political??
Why would anyone claim this is liberal nonsense (and that the POPE is a liberal) when the tenents of the Christian church specifically TELL us HOW Jesus expects us to act?
Thanks from imaginethat and catus felis
Clara007 is online now  
Old January 30th, 2017, 07:48 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 53,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
I know there are many on DTT who are non-believers. I know there are devout Christians on DTT. I know there are some who are still searching, so I admire those who will admit their beliefs--their doubts--their conclusions. What I can't abide are those who profess to be Christians and in the next breath expel the most hateful rhetoric, bias, vulgar, immoral claptrap I've ever heard.
The Beatitudes were on my mind as I scanned the news reports this morning, which is why I posted this. Our sermon yesterday was about blessings: being a blessing to others, recognizing a blessing when it comes to us, and being told that WE ARE each uniquely a blessing because of our Christian faith--IF we are truly walking the Christian walk....if we are role modeling the Christian doctrine, which includes every line in the Beatitudes. Our pastor was applauded (which RARELY happens in the Methodist church) when she ended the sermon yesterday.

I completely agree with Pope Francis. “The sickness or, you can say the sin, that Jesus condemns most is hypocrisy, which is precisely what is happening when someone claims to be a Christian but does not live according to the teaching of Christ. You cannot be a Christian without living like a Christian,” he said.

And here's another thing I don't understand. Why has this become political??
Why would anyone claim this is liberal nonsense (and that the POPE is a liberal) when the tenents of the Christian church specifically TELL us HOW Jesus expects us to act?
And, it's clear. No doubt exists, no need for esoteric explanations, the one thing perfectly clear in the Bible is the Christian disciple's life path. But that path is crazy to the worldly mind.

So, just like everything else people do when it comes to discussing the meat of issues, on-point biblical conversation drifts off into Old Testamentland, or the details of the Corinthian church, anything but consider the perfectly clear commands of the Beatitudes.

And look at the world. It's completely turned its collective back on loving one's neighbor, even neighbors that are enemies, as one loves oneself.
Thanks from Clara007
imaginethat is offline  
Old January 30th, 2017, 01:48 PM   #5
Mayor of Realville
 
webguy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,420
Obama banned Cuban refugees, but we're not allowed to say he isn't a Christian.
webguy4 is offline  
Old January 31st, 2017, 01:35 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Nwolfe35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 14,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy4 View Post
Obama banned Cuban refugees, but we're not allowed to say he isn't a Christian.
Meanwhile Republicans welcomed Cuban refugees....why are they adamant against other refugees?
Thanks from Hollywood
Nwolfe35 is online now  
Old January 31st, 2017, 01:59 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 6,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy4 View Post
Obama banned Cuban refugees, but we're not allowed to say he isn't a Christian.

Obama’s rule change, which came through a Department of Homeland Security regulation, applied to one group of people: Cubans. Obama’s Jan. 12 announcement ended the so-called "wet foot-dry foot" policy that had allowed Cubans without visas who reached U.S. shores (typically Florida) to gain automatic entry to the United States to ask for political asylum.

Under the policy, those caught at sea, however, were sent back to Cuba. The "wet foot-dry foot" policy, along with the Cuban Adjustment Act -- which remains on the books -- permitted those who reached dry land in the United States to get permanent residency and green cards after living in the U.S. for a year and a day.

Completely different from Trump's ban of ALL refugees and immigrants from SEVEN countries. BTW, this INCLUDES Cubans.
Thanks from Hollywood
Clara007 is online now  
Old January 31st, 2017, 02:20 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA TN
Posts: 10,269
why are people being so melodramatic about this ban when it is TEMPORARY??? when immigrants can be properly vetted, things will change. for now, i'm glad trump is banning muslims from those countries.
kbear is offline  
Old February 1st, 2017, 06:29 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 6,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbear View Post
why are people being so melodramatic about this ban when it is TEMPORARY??? when immigrants can be properly vetted, things will change. for now, i'm glad trump is banning muslims from those countries.


Trump is not a man of his word, so I have a hard time believing anything he says. I do not think people are being melodramatic. This is a serious, unprecedented EO and no matter what Trump's supporters say it is a religious ban--and bans all refugees, from every country on Earth, for four months, with no evidence of a specific flaw in the refugee screening process.
Our immigrants are already properly vetted in an extremely rigorous manner.
Clara007 is online now  
Old February 1st, 2017, 06:39 AM   #10
Commie Exposer
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 38,787
Thanks from Sabcat
Jimmyb is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Philosophy and Religion > Religion

Tags
christian, hypocrite



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hypocrite Hillary coke Politicians 17 May 3rd, 2016 06:42 PM
Bill Moyers: Christian Right Hypocrite Ralph Reed Has Resurrected Himself in the GOP LongWinded Politicians 8 July 20th, 2014 09:44 AM
hairdresser hypocrite webguy4 Gay and Lesbian Rights 80 March 8th, 2014 02:34 AM
Full Time Hypocrite tristanrobin Politicians 19 November 10th, 2013 08:43 PM
Who's the biggest hypocrite of all...... alias Environment 40 August 20th, 2006 07:17 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.