Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Philosophy and Religion > Religion

Religion For discussion about belief systems, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to spirituality and moral values


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 25th, 2008, 06:01 AM   #41
Your Own Moderator
 
pensacola_niceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 31,572
I believe in little baby ducks and old pick-up trucks.
pensacola_niceman is offline  
Old October 25th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
Bronwyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensacola_niceman
I believe in little baby ducks and old pick-up trucks.
Hey PN, I thought the line was "I LOVE little baby ducks, old pick up trucks, walking in the rain, and trains" !
Bronwyn is offline  
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #43
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 17
What do you believe?

I believe in God, Christ Jesus, the Holy Bible and the Gnostic Texts.



I believe that science, evolution and that history and archaeology substantiate the overall context of the Bible.



I believe that cannabis is referenced numerous times in the Bible as “herb bearing seed”, “kaneh bosem” (mistranslated from the time of the Septuagint on), and the Tree of Life, etc.; that God has a specific purpose in mind which is just beginning to be re-understood.



I believe more often than naught that man(kinds’) interpretation of what the Bible reiterates is grossly taken out of context and that the Bible itself clearly indicates this time and time again (as if in warning as to what should be avoided) and as often, routinely ignored. [NOTE: Astoundingly, this is a re-occuring theme in the Bible; G-d explicitly expresses the specifics of His Desire which Man(kind) routinely, and in places deliberately ignores or modifies - this applies equally to the OT and NT alike]



I do not believe that one religion is superior in any way shape or form to any other. Religious differences, to my way of thinking, have more to do with cultural nuances, than illusions of dogmatic superiority.



I recognize that Satan and Evil exist and routinely manifests itself in the actions of man(kind).



I also believe that this thread is to share one's beliefs with others...Not post the 'mine is right, your's is wrong' and give a sermon as to the reason why they believe theirs is 'right' while others' beliefs are 'wrong'.



Amen
lithargoel is offline  
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #44
Nomad
 
fxashun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ga
Posts: 23,114
Preach on brutha....or sistah if that's the case. Excellent post.
fxashun is offline  
Old May 19th, 2009, 04:59 AM   #45
The Chief
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Planet Earth (Mostly)
Posts: 14,314
I believe in the very real possibility of peace on earth and goodwill towards man.
tadpole256 is offline  
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:24 AM   #46
Nomad
 
fxashun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ga
Posts: 23,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole256
I believe in the very real possibility of peace on earth and goodwill towards man.
Whoa!!! And you doubt religion??!?!?! That right there is a serious fantasy. LOL.
fxashun is offline  
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #47
The Chief
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Planet Earth (Mostly)
Posts: 14,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxashun
Whoa!!! And you doubt religion??!?!?! That right there is a serious fantasy. LOL.
Doubt religion? I don't know if I would use that phrase...



I believe that in the absence of organized religion, goodwill and peace can flourish, but so long as religion exists, it will serve primarily as a major division among people.
tadpole256 is offline  
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #48
Nomad
 
fxashun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ga
Posts: 23,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole256
Doubt religion? I don't know if I would use that phrase...



I believe that in the absence of organized religion, goodwill and peace can flourish, but so long as religion exists, it will serve primarily as a major division among people.
I believe money, greed, and power would take over any holes left by the disappearance of religion.



Those are something much more powerful on a worldwide scale than any one religion. AS we both know, humans are bound to follow a rock, and one charismatic deranged asshole would end up amassing a whole heap of lost souls looking for something to believe in.
fxashun is offline  
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #49
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 17
fxashun, don't hold your breath waiting. organized religion will continue to exist as long as civilization and strife exist. it is said there are no atheists in a foxhole for good reason, in places mired in oppression, religion flourishes (even over sports). while greed, power and religion are certainly not strangers by any stretch of the imagination, there are the power brokers whose vested interests lay in conflict and that's not about change any time soon.
lithargoel is offline  
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #50
Nomad
 
fxashun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ga
Posts: 23,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithargoel
fxashun, don't hold your breath waiting. organized religion will continue to exist as long as civilization and strife exist. it is said there are no atheists in a foxhole for good reason, in places mired in oppression, religion flourishes (even over sports). while greed, power and religion are certainly not strangers by any stretch of the imagination, there are the power brokers whose vested interests lay in conflict and that's not about change any time soon.
I agree with ya. It was rhetorical anyway.



And welcome to the forum by the way.
fxashun is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Philosophy and Religion > Religion



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.