Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Philosophy and Religion > Religion

Religion For discussion about belief systems, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to spirituality and moral values


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 26th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
tristanrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 21,364
just as Christianity can mean a lot of things to different people
tristanrobin is offline  
Old November 27th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #22
Nomad
 
fxashun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ga
Posts: 23,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanrobin
just as Christianity can mean a lot of things to different people
Not necessarily. Christianity is a bit more specific, for example, you know they are talking about some version of "The Bible" when someone talks about Chrisitianity. And Jesus and Jehovah, Jah, Yahweh, etc is gonna figger in there somewhere.



"Pagan" can mean some of anything it seems. And the vague answers I am getting here prove that.
fxashun is offline  
Old November 27th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Tirya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,362
In its broadest historical sense, "Pagan" means "non-Abrahamic" and as such means "anything that's not Judaism, Christianity, or Islam". From my reading, it was generally used in that way by those in the Abrahamic religions as a way to say "those who don't believe in our God".



So if you're looking for the historical reason why the word "pagan" seems to encompass a wide variety of things, it's basically because it was an exclusionary term used by those "in the in crowd".



It's like saying "I can define a horse, but what defines a 'not-horse'?" Well, that would be everything from a dog to a cat to a monkey to a sea lion to a whale to an aardvark to a beetle. The primary thing they have in common is "It's not a horse."



Basically the primary thing that Pagan religions have in common is "they're not Abrahamic".
Tirya is offline  
Old November 27th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #24
Nomad
 
fxashun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ga
Posts: 23,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirya
In its broadest historical sense, "Pagan" means "non-Abrahamic" and as such means "anything that's not Judaism, Christianity, or Islam". From my reading, it was generally used in that way by those in the Abrahamic religions as a way to say "those who don't believe in our God".



So if you're looking for the historical reason why the word "pagan" seems to encompass a wide variety of things, it's basically because it was an exclusionary term used by those "in the in crowd".



It's like saying "I can define a horse, but what defines a 'not-horse'?" Well, that would be everything from a dog to a cat to a monkey to a sea lion to a whale to an aardvark to a beetle. The primary thing they have in common is "It's not a horse."



Basically the primary thing that Pagan religions have in common is "they're not Abrahamic".
Well that's what I've been reading. Still sounds rather vague though. It's like "other".
fxashun is offline  
Old November 27th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Tirya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,362
Quote:
It's like "other".


Basically that's what it is - it's the label that followers of Abrahamic religions gave to the beliefs of the "other" folks.



"Pagan" isn't necessarily defined by "what it is" - it's more defined by "what it isn't" - it isn't Abrahamic.



So it includes everything from neopagan religions like Wicca and Asatru, to ancient religions like Hinduism and Shinto, to re-creation religions like Hellenism and Druidism.



They're all Pagan. Why? Because they're not Abrahamic.
Tirya is offline  
Old November 27th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #26
Nomad
 
fxashun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ga
Posts: 23,114
Well how can you have a "Pagan" thought of the day then?
fxashun is offline  
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Tirya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,362
Would you rather the thread be called "Non-Christian, Non-Islamic, Non-Judaic Thought Of The Day"?
Tirya is offline  
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Tirya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,362
"May I ever be mindful that the Goddess and God in all their forms dwell within me and that this divinity is reflected through my own Inner Self, my Pagan Spirit."



-- Pledge to Pagan Spirituality, Selena Fox, 1960
Tirya is offline  
Old November 28th, 2008, 04:07 AM   #29
Nomad
 
fxashun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ga
Posts: 23,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirya
Would you rather the thread be called "Non-Christian, Non-Islamic, Non-Judaic Thought Of The Day"?
Naa, this is fine. I was just looking to see if there was more to "Pagan" than I was reading elsewhere. I've heard "Pagan" used as if it were a bad thing before, especially during holidays like Halloween. I never really cared really. You guys have a nice thread.
fxashun is offline  
Old November 28th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #30
The Chief
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Planet Earth (Mostly)
Posts: 14,314
I think people frequently mis-use the term "pagan", a lot of people seem to think it is synanomous with Heathen or Witchcraft, which is not really the case.
tadpole256 is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Philosophy and Religion > Religion

Tags
day, pagan, thought



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nc School: Bibles Ok But Pagan Literature Isn't skrekk Freedom of Speech 52 May 26th, 2012 10:23 AM
Thought For The Day. onthefence Religion 8 June 4th, 2010 09:22 PM
Who would have ever thought....... alias Drugs, Alcohol, Tobacco 25 April 10th, 2007 01:42 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.