Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Discussion > Science and Technology

Science and Technology Science and Technology Forum - For topics and discussions about the sciences and technology


Thanks Tree7Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2016, 01:31 PM   #1
Wall-crawler
 
webguy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,279
What is science?

My definition: the objective study of anything we can observe.

This is pursued hopefully through what we call the scientific method.

I pause to see if anyone wishes to contest my premise.
webguy4 is offline  
Old September 3rd, 2016, 07:42 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 9,875
I would change objective to analytical.
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old September 4th, 2016, 04:34 AM   #3
Wall-crawler
 
webguy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Sister View Post
I would change objective to analytical.
Analytical can be very subjective. As in introspection. My point in saying objective is to emphasize the removal of bias, personal or collective from the analysis of the object of study.

How about: The objective analysis of anything we observe.

Further discussion?
Thanks from Pilgrim and Twisted Sister
webguy4 is offline  
Old September 4th, 2016, 05:07 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy4 View Post
Analytical can be very subjective. As in introspection. My point in saying objective is to emphasize the removal of bias, personal or collective from the analysis of the object of study.

How about: The objective analysis of anything we observe.

Further discussion?


How about the experiment part of science? BTW, Web, I love your avatar. Those puppies are adorable.
Clara007 is offline  
Old September 4th, 2016, 08:04 AM   #5
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: LA LA Land North
Posts: 24,698
I would suggest investigating the unknown as being science. That includes experimentation, mathematical analysis and yes, does incorporate the social sciences.

Even though they aren't hard science, they are still science.
RNG is offline  
Old September 4th, 2016, 01:12 PM   #6
Wall-crawler
 
webguy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
How about the experiment part of science? BTW, Web, I love your avatar. Those puppies are adorable.
The only real puppy in the photo is my 13 year old bichon frise , the others are ceramic statues.
webguy4 is offline  
Old September 4th, 2016, 01:19 PM   #7
Wall-crawler
 
webguy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
I would suggest investigating the unknown as being science. That includes experimentation, mathematical analysis and yes, does incorporate the social sciences.

Even though they aren't hard science, they are still science.
My next step on this thread is to go into detail on the details of the scientific method. Observation, hypothesis, blind studies, random variables, peer review, reproducibility.

First though, is there any dissension with my claim of the importance of objectivity?
webguy4 is offline  
Old September 4th, 2016, 01:53 PM   #8
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: LA LA Land North
Posts: 24,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy4 View Post
My next step on this thread is to go into detail on the details of the scientific method. Observation, hypothesis, blind studies, random variables, peer review, reproducibility.

First though, is there any dissension with my claim of the importance of objectivity?
Not necessary in that in all science, there is competitive repetition of experiments so any lack of objectivity would be flaunted in the journals. As I believe it was Camelot first brought up, there is more glory in proving a rival wrong than in an initial discovery.

And I, as a practicing scientist disagree with what is taught as being the scientific method in schools.
RNG is offline  
Old September 4th, 2016, 02:22 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy4 View Post
My next step on this thread is to go into detail on the details of the scientific method. Observation, hypothesis, blind studies, random variables, peer review, reproducibility.

First though, is there any dissension with my claim of the importance of objectivity?

I don't think the importance of objectivity (in science) can be overstated, but it doesn't always exist. History is rife with scientists who subjectively try to prove theories they are passionate about...and conversely disprove theories they loathe.
Example: Climate Change
I'm not trying to hi-jack your topic, Web, but I really don't get WHY so many people are trying to disprove climate change. It's pretty obvious why scientists are concerned about climate change since it COULD be the demise of the planet but WHY has it become a political football and why shouldn't we err on the side of caution...? Why shoot ourselves in the foot?
Clara007 is offline  
Old September 4th, 2016, 02:52 PM   #10
Wall-crawler
 
webguy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
Not necessary in that in all science, there is competitive repetition of experiments so any lack of objectivity would be flaunted in the journals. As I believe it was Camelot first brought up, there is more glory in proving a rival wrong than in an initial discovery.

And I, as a practicing scientist disagree with what is taught as being the scientific method in schools.
"Lack of objectivity would be flaunted" I think I am reading that you agree with my premise as objectivity as a goal, flaunting in the journals being a form of peer review that serves the goal.

I certainly want to continue a discussion of what and how science is being taught in American public schools.
webguy4 is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Discussion > Science and Technology

Tags
science



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ted Cruz Challenged Science At His Climate Change Hearing. Science Won. LongWinded Current Events 27 December 12th, 2015 10:04 AM
science dusty Atheism 12 August 18th, 2015 06:45 AM
Ted Cruz, Longtime Foe Of NASA And Science, Will Oversee NASA And Science In New Cong LongWinded Current Events 7 January 13th, 2015 11:12 AM
Me n Art: The Science of Art coberst Philosophy 1 September 27th, 2008 10:13 AM
Normal Science is Lamp-Post Science coberst Philosophy 0 August 12th, 2008 12:49 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.