Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Discussion > Science and Technology

Science and Technology Science and Technology Forum - For topics and discussions about the sciences and technology


Thanks Tree12Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 4th, 2017, 12:14 PM   #1
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 26,874
Trump Administration Issues Report Confirming Global Warming

And we are off. Many thought the Dotard et al would bury this but surprise, surprise, it was just released.

Of course, they have back-pedaled a little bit, but it's out there.

Quote:
The Trump Administration released a sweeping federal climate report concluding that the Earth is warming at an alarming rate due to human activity.

The Earth is undergoing its warmest period “in the history of modern civilization,” fueled primarily by rising levels of carbon dioxide, according to the study Friday. The Congressionally mandated report, released by the U.S. Global Change Research Program, was initiated under President Barack Obama in 2015.

The conclusions about melting glaciers, diminishing snow cover, ocean acidification and other results of a warming planet are hardly new. The central premise, that humans are to blame contradicts previous statements of President Donald Trump and many high-ranking members of his administration, who have questioned the scientific findings regarding climate change.

The White House declined to say whether Trump agreed with the report’s conclusions. A spokesman issued a statement saying the administration supports rigorous scientific analysis and debate.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...am=top-stories

And here is the link to the actual report.

https://science2017.globalchange.gov...am=top-stories
Thanks from Hollywood
RNG is offline  
Old November 10th, 2017, 08:07 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 68
I'd rather listen to what the scientists say, not what private corporation media outlets, such as Bloomberg, or government agencies are claiming.
Neil is offline  
Old November 10th, 2017, 08:11 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 19,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I'd rather listen to what the scientists say, not what private corporation media outlets, such as Bloomberg, or government agencies are claiming.
Who do you think the government is getting their information from if not scientists?
Thanks from Clara007
Hollywood is offline  
Old November 10th, 2017, 08:18 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Who do you think the government is getting their information from if not scientists?
I'm guessing corrupt crony capitalists.
Thanks from Sabcat
Neil is offline  
Old November 10th, 2017, 08:22 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 19,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I'm guessing corrupt crony capitalists.
As you say, it's your guess.
Hollywood is offline  
Old November 10th, 2017, 10:32 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
As you say, it's your guess.
Yup, I say it's a guess because I don't know for certain. I don't have proof that it's those types of folks & that's not what I'm focused on, anyways; I'm only trying to respond to your question.

All I know is that what scientists are saying about AGW is different from what we keep hearing from the media, spin doctors, political pundits, government panels, etc.
Neil is offline  
Old November 11th, 2017, 04:24 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,600
Wilbur's on the hot seat right now. It was a good time for the senators who wrote the letter to remind him "to refrain from political interference".
Clara007 is offline  
Old November 11th, 2017, 06:57 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 19,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Yup, I say it's a guess because I don't know for certain. I don't have proof that it's those types of folks & that's not what I'm focused on, anyways; I'm only trying to respond to your question.

All I know is that what scientists are saying about AGW is different from what we keep hearing from the media, spin doctors, political pundits, government panels, etc.
People lie in order to promote their own agenda.
In can indeed be a problem seperating the self-serving lies and "spin" from fact.
I watch carefully to see how a person/group describe the problem.
For example you use the term AGW to describe global warming which stands for Anthropogenic Global Warming.
The word anthropogenic means "originating in human activity. This is countered by people who state, quite accurately, that global warming can be caused by many natural occurrences and cycles and that man's activities have little if anything to do with it.
This seems to be a case of one extreme or another, either man has little to nothing to do with it or is the direct cause of it.

Like most things I believe the truth lies somewhere between the two extremes. Of course there are natural temperature cycles but there can be little doubt that man's activity is having an INFLUENCE of those cycles, the severity, the frequency, etc.
What degree that influence is and what, if anything, can be done about it seems to be the real issue.
Personally, I distrust anyone who takes one or the other of the extreme positions.
Hollywood is offline  
Old November 11th, 2017, 09:37 AM   #9
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 26,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Yup, I say it's a guess because I don't know for certain. I don't have proof that it's those types of folks & that's not what I'm focused on, anyways; I'm only trying to respond to your question.

All I know is that what scientists are saying about AGW is different from what we keep hearing from the media, spin doctors, political pundits, government panels, etc.
You therefore should vet your news/popular science sources with greater care.

The responsible ones do report what the scientists are saying.

Or in this day and age, given this here interwebz thingy, why not go to the actual scientist's reports and academic papers.
RNG is offline  
Old November 11th, 2017, 12:46 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
People lie in order to promote their own agenda.
In can indeed be a problem seperating the self-serving lies and "spin" from fact.
I watch carefully to see how a person/group describe the problem.
For example you use the term AGW to describe global warming which stands for Anthropogenic Global Warming.
The word anthropogenic means "originating in human activity. This is countered by people who state, quite accurately, that global warming can be caused by many natural occurrences and cycles and that man's activities have little if anything to do with it.
This seems to be a case of one extreme or another, either man has little to nothing to do with it or is the direct cause of it.

Like most things I believe the truth lies somewhere between the two extremes. Of course there are natural temperature cycles but there can be little doubt that man's activity is having an INFLUENCE of those cycles, the severity, the frequency, etc.
What degree that influence is and what, if anything, can be done about it seems to be the real issue.
Personally, I distrust anyone who takes one or the other of the extreme positions.
I used "AGW" because that's what this thread is about. Please refer to 1st sentence within quote in OP: "The Trump Administration released a sweeping federal climate report concluding that the Earth is warming at an alarming rate due to human activity."
Neil is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Discussion > Science and Technology

Tags
administration, confirming, global, issues, report, trump, warming



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Global Warming News - Causes & Solutions - Global Warming intangible child Current Events 53 June 10th, 2015 12:59 PM
Apocalyptic Pentagon report on global warming could spur action on Capitol Hill intangible child Environment 0 March 19th, 2007 11:03 PM
Apocalyptic Pentagon report on global warming could spur action on Capitol Hill intangible child Environment 0 March 19th, 2007 11:01 PM
Administration censored global warming research? tyreay Environment 0 March 16th, 2007 02:01 PM
Apocalyptic Pentagon report on global warming intangible child Environment 14 August 27th, 2006 06:57 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.