Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Social Issues

Social Issues Social Issues and Problems - Social issues, social ill, social problems


Thanks Tree17Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2017, 09:12 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by justoneman View Post
Its not fake news its biased news. All stories are weighted negative to the Republicans and weighted positively to the Democrats. Big time.


That's a ridiculous reply and does not answer my question. Explain to me how a quote is biased news. How is a quote "weighted" negative OR positive?
Thanks from RNG
Clara007 is offline  
Old May 27th, 2017, 09:17 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
justoneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
That's a ridiculous reply and does not answer my question. Explain to me how a quote is biased news. How is a quote "weighted" negative OR positive?
If the news says: Trump fearfully replied: "I will secure the border"


or: Trump in a possibly lawless statement said: We will put a hold on migration from these four countries".

Those are biased reports. This tainted sort of language is going on with every report.
justoneman is offline  
Old May 27th, 2017, 09:30 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Toefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: No Name City
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
Here's what I don't get. When I am watching/reading MSM (those listed above), the stories include quotes, video, tweets, etc. How can those be considered unreliable? Fake? When the president is quoted and that quote is splashed across the screen HOW is that untrustworthy?? AND when multiple sources report the SAME story--the same video/tweets/quotes---how is that an error?
We keep hearing about the fake news, but evidence IS PROVIDED.
Having said that, I understand that some news stories are paired with pundit discussion, which is OPINION. Everyone knows that. AND when stories are reported as 'a source close to the W.H.', it's questionable.
But, maybe someone can explain to me how quotes are NOT facts (if context is included).
My problem is when news stories are printed with facts and four months later with all the damage done the facts turned out to be wrong.

Many cases of this and with the 24/7 news cycle very few news agencies invest in follow up facts or correct themselves from initial reports.

News today is a weapon that both parties use effectively to do anything but report facts. Loaded with ideology and emotion.

Everything is politicized.
Thanks from Pilgrim
Toefoot is offline  
Old May 27th, 2017, 09:37 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by justoneman View Post
If the news says: Trump fearfully replied: "I will secure the border"


or: Trump in a possibly lawless statement said: We will put a hold on migration from these four countries".

Those are biased reports. This tainted sort of language is going on with every report.


IF? Can you provide examples of this? Introducing a quote as a 'Lawless statement'? Which media source said that?

I watch CNN, PBS, NBC, etc. every day and I've never seen an anchor introduce a quote in that manner, so you'll have to provide proof.
Clara007 is offline  
Old May 27th, 2017, 09:40 AM   #15
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: LA LA Land North
Posts: 25,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
IF? Can you provide examples of this? Introducing a quote as a 'Lawless statement'? Which media source said that?

I watch CNN, PBS, NBC, etc. every day and I've never seen an anchor introduce a quote in that manner, so you'll have to provide proof.
Brainfart and Buzzfeed often do so.
Thanks from Clara007
RNG is offline  
Old May 27th, 2017, 09:45 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefoot View Post
My problem is when news stories are printed with facts and four months later with all the damage done the facts turned out to be wrong.

Many cases of this and with the 24/7 news cycle very few news agencies invest in follow up facts or correct themselves from initial reports.

News today is a weapon that both parties use effectively to do anything but report facts. Loaded with ideology and emotion.

Everything is politicized.


I agree. Lives can be ruined and accusations never taken back. I disagree that facts are never accurately reported. That statement is NOT accurate.
Clara007 is offline  
Old May 27th, 2017, 10:43 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: upnorth
Posts: 1,484
Use logic rather than trust. I have little trust in sources, especially when they habitually omit the most important details. I never trust the mass media.
Pilgrim is offline  
Old May 27th, 2017, 10:54 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Toefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: No Name City
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
I agree. Lives can be ruined and accusations never taken back. I disagree that facts are never accurately reported. That statement is NOT accurate.
In my statement, when did I say "Facts are never accurately reported"?
Toefoot is offline  
Old May 27th, 2017, 11:34 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Katmandu
Posts: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
Special for the few who say BBC is a crap news source. Here are the results of a Pew Research poll on trusted news sources. Check out where BBC is.



If the image isn't clear enough on your monitor, the source is:

Here Are The Most- And Least-Trusted News Outlets In America - Business Insider
Why is the WSJ not at the top since it is the most trusted?
Libertine is offline  
Old May 27th, 2017, 11:58 AM   #20
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: LA LA Land North
Posts: 25,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Why is the WSJ not at the top since it is the most trusted?
I would suggest it might be based on an overall percentage. So for example it might be that 51% of all demographics trusted the WSJ where 80% of all but one demographic trusted the BBC while of the other demographic only 40% did.

But you'd need to go to Pew to get the methodology.
RNG is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Social Issues

Tags
fake, news, sources, trusted



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trump uses fox fake news for news. GhostRider Americas 0 April 3rd, 2017 09:09 AM
Fox fake news forced to retract fake voter fraud story GhostRider Americas 26 September 30th, 2016 03:52 PM
POLL: Fox Is The Most Trusted TV News Source In America ptif219 Current Events 32 March 14th, 2015 09:00 PM
FOX news host falls for fake news story. Nwolfe35 Current Events 31 October 10th, 2013 06:42 AM
Election day news sources... theindependentmind Opinion Polls 7 November 6th, 2012 07:56 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.